main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What in Star Wars have you done a complete 180 on...?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Avnar, Feb 23, 2018.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I used to dislike Han Solo. IMO he resembled the cocky guys in my high school that thought you're only cool if you do sports or hunting etc...

Now I actually quite enjoy his character-and being older and able to understand more socially, I admire the story arc he had in terms of his shifting personality and values.

I used to hate the whole Jabba's palace sequence-ever since before the SE's, to me it was all just silliness in a palace, and I wanted to get on to the Empire stuff. But having grown up, I see it more as this campy quirkiness that is full of uniqueness and character-and I respect it more, and enjoy every bit of it's odd flavor now.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Ananta Chetan and Jesta' like this.
  2. KnightOfRen66

KnightOfRen66 Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2017
    I loved the prequel trilogy as a child. "omg the jedi are so cool" "omg look at that fighting its so cool" pretty much think the complete opposite now.

Sarge and Martoto77 like this.
  3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Having all those droid armies to slaughter and keep a clear conscience totally undermined their special status of being warriors that remain in a state of grace. If all you had to kill was droids then it wouldn't matter who or what you were on the inside.

Sarge and only one kenobi like this.
  4. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Attack of the Clones

I think I got persuaded too much from the constant hate and backlash of the film. It used to be ranked at the bottom of my Star Wars films. During my marathon before The Last Jedi, I realized how great the story was in it. If you look past some of the faults, the overall scope of AOTC is amazing. It is now a film I very much enjoy and respect.

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I haven't made peace with the PT, but still to this day I have never seen a preview that got me as excited for a film as AOTC's did! Nothing has ever come close. I still maintain that with a few scenes cut out and the cgi fixed up it could have been the best SW film of the lot :cool:

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Jar Jar Binks. And yes, that final AOTC trailer was EPIC>

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Not a complete 180, but I've soured more than a little on TCW. I used to love it; now, meh. By contrast, take the second half of Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, now that is worth watching.

Deliveranze likes this.
  8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Han Solo. While he is far from my favorite character, the Solo film really helped me become more invested in the character.

TCW has become a bit overrated imo. Still a great show, but the Clone Wars feels dumbed down and simplified compared to the 2002-2007 Clone Wars multimedia project.

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Three things (somewhat related) come to mind for me:

1. Hayden Christensen's acting skills. I used to think he was very wooden when not "angry" or "creepy" in AOTC (I always thought his ROTS performance was strong) but over time I've come to appreciate that he showed a greater range of emotion than I gave him credit for on early viewings of AOTC and did an overall good job portraying a character who wouldn't be easy to act. I would no longer describe his acting as wooden, and I think the other emotions I criticized him for showing were ones that he was probably instructed to show by Lucas. I can't fault an actor for trying to play a role as directed so I retract many of the criticisms I made when I was eleven. I still do think he grew as an actor between AOTC and ROTS, though, but so did Ewan McGregor between TPM and AOTC, for example. Actors learn from experience, and I think Lucas took that into account when making his PT casting decisions.

2. I used to not like the "romance" between Padme and Anakin since I focused mainly on the elements of it that made me uncomfortable especially on first viewing. Then I realized that the relationship between Padme and Anakin wasn't intended to be a sweet romance but a bitter tragedy. If I view their relationship in the light of the overall tragedy of the Prequel Trilogy, I think it accomplishes what Lucas set out to achieve.

3. I used to "like" and sympathize with Anakin in TPM and through his fall in ROTS but find him annoying and infuriating in AOTC perhaps because he spent so much of that film being what I saw as angry, whiny, or disrespectful of Obi-Wan. I think at eleven I expected Anakin to act basically like an adult much as the Obi-Wan we meet in TPM does, but as I grew I more learned to understand how young Anakin still was and how much trauma he had endured. I see the Anakin in AOTC as an Anakin in a period of difficult transition and crisis. After going through my own late teens and early adulthood, I can understand that period of turmoil in Anakin's life much better and some of the attitude he displays. That's one way where my maturity made me see a character in a different light as time progressed.

10. JediRaiden

JediRaiden Jedi Padawan

Jul 1, 2019
    When I first tried to watch TCW many years ago I thought it was terrible and childish and was instantly put off... Years later I come back to it and start over, and I end up ADORING it. I love TCW.

11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Han Solo portrayed by anyone except Harrison Ford is another good example of a Star Wars opinion of mine really changing for the better. Before seeing Solo, I was nervous about seeing someone else attempt to play the iconic role of Han Solo (I thought that alone might sink the movie actually) but Alden's performance was really good and totally won me over. I could absolutely buy him as a young Han Solo.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I used to think the prospect of no new Star Wars movies was depressing but now I'm nostalgic for those times when it seemed like the theatrical series was over.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    ROTS used to be tied with ESB for me. It took people like @anakinfansince1983 to convince me that it's...not that great.

14. Luna2112

Luna2112 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2016
    As a kid, I didn't like the 2003 Clone Wars mini series. I wanted more from it and was severely disappointed that they were so short; even the 2nd and "3rd" seasons were only like 5 minutes each. Now, I actually feel nostalgic towards it and have watched it through a couple of times. Some of it I wish they'd incorporated into TCW more (the Muunilinst arc and the OG ARC troopers for example).

15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    The prequels as a whole (although I and II are still near the bottom of my ranking), Kylo Ren as a character, Rey as a character. The latter two have gone down for me.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Late addition, but I have done a 180 and then another 180 on the changes made to the OOT. Some changes make sense, but I prefer the original versions even in light of the prequels. I used to feel as though the existence of the prequels warranted further changes, but now I have returned to my original position of preserving the original versions regardless of the differences in appearance that distinguish the two trilogies.

christophero30 likes this.
  17. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Wouldn't say it's a complete 180 but I couldn't really get into the first half of Resistance, but I stuck with it and the second half really pulled me in and made me a fan of the show.

18. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The Prequels.

For each episode, I enjoyed ALL the films when I watched them at the cinema, then fell out of love with them within days or weeks; however I was never able to vocalise what it was that I didn't like. I felt that that there was just something off somehow.

Many years later, here, I was going to join a roleplaying game set four years after Order 66, and purchased Revenge of the Sith on dvd for research purposes, and I absolutely love that film again, and when the Sequel Trilogy came around with Prequel Defenders, and Prequel Haters, I found myself with a foot in both camps - I could empathise with the latter, however I loved Episode III, so was willing to defend the PT as well.

19. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Luke in TLJ. Before, I could understand him being afraid of Kylo undoing all that he, Han and Leia had fought for, not to mention his father sacrificing his life. After all, he did hesitate.

However, even if that was the case, there was plenty that Luke could have resorted to before attempted surprise murder. There is nothing we saw or heard about that justified Luke taking such a drastic step.

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The Prequels, several times really.

I loved them as a kid, then somewhat swayed by the internet hate came to dislike them. Then I went back to them and enjoyed them again despite being still fairly critical. Nowadays I see them as flawed but ultimately good films overall. Admittedly this is a fairly popular choose for this question, so I'll just add that Palapine used to be a okay villain for me, to now being one of my favorite characters in the saga.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  21. VGCinema

VGCinema Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2019
    Lando for me. I used to think he didn't have any depth or any defining characteristic that differentiated him from other smuggler type characters. Ever since Solo he has become one of my favorites and I love him in ESB and RotJ

22. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    ROTS. Enjoyed it on a first watch and thought it was the best prequel. Over time I've done a 180. It's ok, but my least favourite SW film now.

Avnar and Sarge like this.
  23. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I was totally looking forward to seeing Jar Jar, a completely CG character, in TPM. I soured on him very quickly on my first viewing of TPM, and by the time QGJ and Ben returned to Naboo, I dreaded every scene he was in. What a terrible distraction.

24. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Mine too! I actually think the Anakin vs Obi Wan fight is the worst in the entire saga. Even the Kylo vs not there Luke is better :oops:

Steve McGarrett and Sarge like this.
  25. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    The Force Awakens.
    It used to be near the top of my rankings (never surpassing TESB, nothing has).

I still don't quite dislike it, but the more I think about it, the more I can see its flaws, many of which are shared with The Last Jedi. It leads Han and Leia's stories into unfortunate directions, though to a lesser degree than TLJ Luke. I like the leads and their chemistry, but it fails to produce a strong antagonist. And as for the mysteries introduced (Rey, Snoke, the Skywalker lightsaber, Luke, etc), JJ was good at getting me hooked, but the next movie fails to follow through and ends in a way that makes it hard for TROS to give satisfying answers given everything else it has to accomplish.
    It also creates inconsistencies with its successor, namely Luke's motives.

Avnar and devilinthedetails like this.