main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What info am I missing?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LordMalaki, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordMalaki

LordMalaki Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2006
    Hello everyone, after a long wait I finnaly found a NJO set on Ebay and managed to win it, with that said I am quite eager to read it. I am just curious if I missed any vital info along the way. I have read;
    The Thawn Trilogy
    The Jedi Acedemy Trilogy
    The Correlian Trilogy
    X-wing vol. 1-9
    I, Jedi
    DarkSaber
    YJK vol. 1-6

I do not plan to read anything else, since I have been waiting to read the NJO for a few months now and have been killing off those other books, so I am just curious if there is anything in the NJO that i'm going to read and not get because I missed something.

Thanks in advance
    Michael

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I, Jedi is a slick and well written book, best read after X-wing: 1-4.

3. LordMalaki

Feb 12, 2006
    I know, I thought it's one of my favorites. Those are the ones I read, actually finishing volume 3 of the Corellian trilogy now. Than going to start the NJO.

Michael

4. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Corellian trilogy too, I see. Excellent choice as well. The Michaels always did have it.

Most of your choices are good, sans a couple of bad ones. But I've learned more from a bad book then I ever could from the best of blades.

5. LordMalaki

Feb 12, 2006
    *Backs away from Ex* That they did...that they did..

6. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    I can't think of anything you're missing, really, except for the fairly important events of the Hand of Thrawn duology; everything else you basically have nailed down. And maybe Dark Empire, though that's not reference terribly frequently. HoT is about the only important stuff you haven't taken care of, and I highly recommend you read it at some point, as it's very well done. We can summarize it for you if you like.

- Keralys

7. LordMalaki

Feb 12, 2006
    Thankyou Keralys I appreciate it alot. I think I will just grab them and fit them in, another week of waiting won't kill me. I'm actually excited in catching up and being able to contribute more in conversations that arn't 12 years stale.

Michael

8. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    I understand, and you're quite welcome. [face_peace] And I admire the effort you're putting in to catch up; that's not exactly easy to do. :D

- Keralys

9. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"The Michaels always did have it."<<

Reavsey, especially. [face_batting]

10. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    personally i wouldnt rush through the books, I would savour them. After LOTF I'm not sure how many more books we'll get, so why not make the most of the fact that you're not nearing the end as much as some people are. Also if you like Han Solo, read the trilogy ,cause it gives you an insight into his past, and a few characters who pop up in the NJO.

just a suggestion.

11. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    Sometimes I think it will never end...

I wouldn't bother with Dark Empire if I were you, but that's just my personal opinion. You do seem to have all the major plot points covered, Although you'd do well to pick up copies of the Empire and New Republic Tales anthologies - There's some great stories in those. Also, the Black Fleet Crisis is a reasonable, though neither brilliant, nor especially important trilogy and it's referenced a bit in the Dark Nest trilogy< but that's set after NJO so you don't need to worry about that just now.

Blast - Just read everything!

12. LordMalaki

Feb 12, 2006
    Oh believe me I don't plan to rush them, I have been looking forward to reading them for years, but didn't have all the resources needed to gather up all the other books before hand, so i'm quite looking forward too it.

I thought about that also about being lucky that I still had so much to read, I don't know if I would be able to stand the whole 1 new book a month deal, but could see myself rereading alot of them again. I'm already looking forward to reading the x-wing series again whenever I get a chance I loved those books, not so much "Isard's Revenge" no idea what Stackpole was doing on that one.

Again thanks everyone for your help.

Michael

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Why do we even bother to have the sticky if no one uses it and we get this same thread every other day?

14. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    The Glove of Darth Vader series is essential.

15. Sitting_Duck

Sitting_Duck Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2004
    The Truce at Bakura provides the background to events in the Force Heretic books from late in the NJO. Same with the Black Fleet Crisis to a lesser extent.

The Young Jedi and Junior Jedi Knight books provide background on the main characters from the next generation of jedi.
    Also the Corellian trilogy provides some major background for the Agents of Chaos books.

And the prequel book Rogue Planet changes a slight twist in the NJO to an "it finally happened" event.

16. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    You should read the entire Junior and Young Jedi Knight Series to get a real sense of the connections that exist amongst the next generation of Solo kids and their friends.

I also suggest you read what I call the Hand of Thrawn series, which consists of Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future, Survivor's Quest, and the e-book Fool's Bargain. I believe the e-book was added to the paperback version of Survivor's Quest. If you can, also read The Outbound Flight. While these novels are more like essential readings to the Dark Nest Trilogy, they do provide you with a look into the Chiss' mindset. At the very least, they'll give you the background to the state of the Imperial Remnant in the NJO.

And as much as I consider it the soap opera of Star Wars, I think you should read Children of the Jedi. The main enemies in there make a reappearance of sorts in the NJO.

17. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Hand of Thrawn is very good. I liked it, besides Maras preaching section, and some weird Thrawn moments. But Baron Fel made a small appearance, so it's okay with me! As for Survivors Quest, I actually enjoyed it, but I, in no way, find it essential. Outbound Flight and Survivors Quest actually make a good dualogy. I think it's better to read Survivors Quest first, because it sets off a lot of mysteries that all got answered in Outbound Flight. And that's also the order they were released... so it makes sense.

Note: Also, Survivors Quest has nothing to do with Hand of Thrawn.

18. cyris8400

cyris8400 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    Did BFC author Michael Kube McDowell have it?

19. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Indeed it is hard to catch up. I was reading mostly Clone Wars/PT era novels (Although I had read The Thrawn Trilogy and some X-Wing Novels in the past.) I finished off the X-Wing Novels and am about to put a cap on the Hand of Thrawn. Is the Corellian Triology a "Must Read" to understand the NJO books?

Carnage

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

It's better reading than almost all the NJO. Cheaper paperback too, good cover art. Maturely prosed. It has Ossiliege.

Admiral Hortel Ossilege.

I like his scene-ending lines.

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Perhaps not . . . Found out last night the first sport field streaker was a Michael. :(

22. cyris8400

cyris8400 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    And? That gives points to Michaels, in my book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.