main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what inspires you to make a sw fan film

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Sketcher, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sketcher

Sketcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    just out of curiosity what makes you want to make a fan film about star wars? is it the chance to use a lightsaber, th possible idea for a good story that fits the sw universe, or something else?

2. InsolentFury

InsolentFury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    because you can create a story and a part of the star wars universe and say its yours.

3. Digidude

Digidude Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I saw the atom films starwars fan films awards show and I saw the lightsaber effects and I was so amazed that you could do that.

4. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    When I was a kid, I thought it would be cool to make a movie with special effects, etc., but we didn't have a video camera, and certainly not the effects capabilities.

Now I do.

I'm going to do a fanfilm to get my feet wet. Then it's on to original stories.

5. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    I am with you Darth Kohai... When I was a kid I always wanted to get into making movies... As soon as I saw James Bond in his Austin Martin DB5 I wanted to do an action film... Star Wars made me want to do a Star Wars film... Etc.

Last year I finally got around to doing what I really wanted. I finished a James Bond fan film. Yes, it wasn't the best fan film, and for people outside my social circle it probablly wasn't too interesting to watch... Nobody died, no real car chases (although an ATV chase), and in the end no guns (really it was a Bond film!).

But seriously it is the love of movie making, the love of capturing peoples interest for the time your movie is on, that is what brings me back to do it again!

Personally what ever brings all of these nice people together to help one another cannot be a bad thing! :D

Those are my thoughts,
    Spot The Cat

6. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Every time I watch Dualty, I am inspired to continue working on my movie...

7. mongamaul01

mongamaul01 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2001
    For me, it's the fact that I can put myself into this fantasy world(via Greenscreen) and become a part of my favorite film: Star Wars. I get to use lightsabers, shoot lasers, fly spaceships, etc. Who wouldn't want to do that? Also, I get to make the film I want to see. I can put anyone in any situation that they wouldn't normally be in. It's just a lot of fun!

-Monga

8. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    What got me into star wars fan filming was the fight scenes. I love fight scenes and started out this movie wanting to make one. My origional idea was a shoot out scene but unfortunatly none of the cities in the area allow the use of blanks. And for the shots I want to use there is no way to create the scene without having the guns cycle and shell casings fly. So I thought of a martial art scene, but since I know of no other talented martial artists but myself that was out of the picture also.

So one day I came across duality, then A Question of Faith. I could teach people to fight using dowel rods and everyone wants to hold a saber in their hands... my destiny had arrived.

9. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Star Wars inspired me to make a fanfilm.

I made my first Super 8 epic using action figures and dodgy stop motion about 25 years ago (Hey does that make me a fanfilm pioneer?) Then I had a 23 year break while technology caught up with my vision :p and I saw Empire Reborn (here on TFN) and thought I could do that, so off I went.

Duality made me want to make another fanfilm though, that's my kind of movie :)

10. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    A forest, and the though of a Jedi fighting a Sith.

Heh, no seriously, I haven't made any FILMS, so to say. I have a few shorts underway but I basically am in this whole thing to be with other ppl, experienced in their own fields to share and exchange knowledge.

What would inspire me to make a fanfilm? The though of what it will look like when its finished, and to be able to say, that you have paid an homage to the greatest scif-fi story of all time while developing your own skills and/or talent.

Carl

11. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    The movies themselves. [face_love]

The challenge in creating something with such a high standard. ;)

Returning the favor. We get to see all of these films for free. I want to give back! :D

12. DarthPinto

DarthPinto Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    Because I can do the lightsaber special effects. Any reason I can think of boils down to: I want to have footage of myself in a lightsaber fight.

That, and making a cheesy amateur film (not that I'm calling all fanfilms cheesy, but mine assuredly will be) is a great way to spend time with friends.

13. Lex_Orjaa

Lex_Orjaa Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Well stories are awesome and bringing a story to life is even better and with so much lead way in star wars you could create and do so much with it and finally creating a project and watching the final product is well worth it and besides your movie is better then the hipe up hollywood movies :)

14. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    Are you joking? Lightsabers, of course!

I never plan on making a full fledged fanfilm. When I'm on better financial footing a few friends and I will be making own little lightsaber duels. Getting to live out a childhood fantasy.

:)

15. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Okay, WhisperingDeath ... that was especially annoying.

You just knocked yourself down a notch on the Forum Food Chain. :p

16. jj1701e

jj1701e Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2002
    I agree with DarthPinto, doing a fanfilm, no matter how good or bad it is, is a great excuse to spend time with your friends. And the chance to see yourself with a lightsaber is nice too :D

17. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Well, that is the reason I am here TAC. I love the origional trilogy of Star Wars but when it comes right down to why I am here it is because I am a movie maker and I imbuned with an undying love for film.

EDIT: Wait, now that I am knocked down a notch does that mean you can eat me? Eeeek Run and hide Run and hide big bad TAC is after us! :p

18. Deyrian_Kreaton

Deyrian_Kreaton Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2002
    Whispering death I love your sig. I just noticed it. Good point. Well here is my two cents.

I do like the sight of me with a lightsaber. But the inspiration comes from deep down. I have always loved movies. Every aspect about them. And the ability to do that is awesome. Not to mention it gives me a good reason to use my camera. My dad is nuts. I can't use it unless I have a good reason. He's strange. :)

19. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    For TBX, it started out as a "to see if we can actually do this" type of thing. We had made several videos to embarres a friend or two when they got married, and it expanded from there. Then one day Grn Jalera and I had seen SW MacBeth and thought..you know...we could do something like that. We had little knowledge in terms of editing and software for fx. We learned as we went. Next thing we knew we had a 50 minute movie that got overall positive reviews (yes there was some negative, but the positive outweighed it)

Now its basically a hobby for us. We are always thinking up new stories and ideas that we end up saying...you know, we could film that.

As of right now we have one fan film completed, on in post production that is due out Fall of 2002 and we are soon to be starting up again on production of Challenge of the Sith II: Darkness Descends.

20. dark42

dark42 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Showing other people that being a Star Wars fan isn't stupid, and that holding a lightsaber is pretty dang cool.

21. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Because Star Wars is too big and Uncle George doesn't show everything he and his team have made up.

I want to explore things and see things that aren't in the movies. Like Capital Ships actually fighting in space. I have never been able to see that. Sure maybe briefly, but heck, Seeds of Darkness (an awesome space battle mind you) doesn't show the big ships exchange shots.
    ;)

22. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Deyrian - Thanx man, I apreciate it! :)

Jedi_Cougar - yes, that is the best part of the Star Wars Universe. So much stuff has been thought up, but not done in film! It is a great template to work off of. And even the ideas that have been on film sometimes are worth re-doing in fan film form, aka Ryan Wieber's Alternate Lightsaber Duel.

23. Jedi_Ross

Jedi_Ross Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2001
    Star Wars, of course!!

Outside of that, I want to expand that universe that inpired me, expand it in story, and also in mythology. To contribute to it in some small way.

And because them lightsabers are just so dang cool! :D

24. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    I agree Sketcher. How do you even know where to start on making a sw movie? And how do you get ideas and special effects? Do you have a list of things you need and where you get them to make your movie possible?

25. Trest

Trest Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    Star Wars, George Lucas and my childhood.
    I was 7 when SW released.
    I was 13 when I got my first SUPER 8 camera.
    I was 31 when I decided it was time to finally begin writing a Star Wars story.
    What took me so long? Technology.
    I could only pull cheap cuts and camera angles for effects and always decided that "we cant do that" when I was a kid.
    We couldnt do much with that tech.
    Now, of course, its like, "hey they did it. I can do it too." The tech is cheap and the proof is all over the place. Besides all that stuff..... its fun to make a fan film or noone would make them.

My hats off to everyone who has made or is making a SW fan film.
    You ALL inspire me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.