main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What instrument do YOU play? - OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mar17swgirl, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I may get around to recording my "improv" Star Wars song on the bass... and could possible try to record a "studio" version of it with drums and guitar.

2. 81_Forever

81_Forever Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2002
    Can I have the notes too?

StealthAce81@aol.com

I play clarinet and bass clarinet.

3. C_Minor

C_Minor Jedi Master star 3

May 21, 2001
    I'm a muso and writer by trade (as well as a struggling uni student in disguise ;)). I play jazz and rock.

Piano: Hmm, for years. Since I was three. That's 16 years.
    Flute: 9 years, my 'main' instrument for ages, jazz and improvisation, but I also did my grades and letters. I like Jazz better, but the classical aspect brings your game up.
    Guitar: about 5 years now. Self taught. Hooray for chord books and TAB sites :p.
    Drums: Again self taught, 4 years. I play in a jazz combo and youth group with drums.
    Bass: My main instrument. Self taught over an intensive 2 year period (the bassist from LImp Bizkit really put me through my steps :D. And kudos to Paul McCartney and the Beatles tab songbook). I play in a youth group and rock band with that.

I also write music.

*Looks at how much she's written* Uh oh, I'm a professional bum... :D

4. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Wow, I feel ashamed when it comes to the length of playing instruments in here.

5. Tayven

Tayven Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2002
    Well, I've read this whole thing, and i've only seen two flute players... so i'm thinking that we need more!
    I play the Flute...for about, um 7 years now... and I play the piano (8 years).
    BUT i love to sing! lalalala! Anyone here in college for music performance... thats what i want to go into, but everyone is telling me not to... any suggestions???

And to the people who play the cello... I Love You Guys! That has to be the most beautiful sounding instrament in the whole world... soo is it easy, and if i started to play, how much will i spend on it???

Whew, I hope i didn't take up too much space... hehe

*Tayven*

6. Doikk-Na-ts

Doikk-Na-ts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2002
  7. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    I played the trombone in band and jazz band for about 10 years. I haven't picked my trombone up since I quit 3 years ago. It's a shame. I really liked it except for the marching band part.

8. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    I sing (Tenor, usually), but I can't read music very well. I've been told I have an excellent voice, but I basically have to sing things by ear...I can sort of figure out the timing of notes based on the written music, but all I can tell you about a particular note is whether it should be higher or lower than the last one...not by how much. :-(

9. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    It really is sad how so many people quit playing the instrument they played for a good majority of the younger years of their lives. But, I suppose that is what happens. After school, there really aren't many other options for playing the instrument. Unless you just play it on your own accord.

I began playing the violin when I was 10, in the 5th grade. I love my instrument, although I do not remember when I last played it. Which reminds me...I need to get that out.

10. Ghery

Ghery Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2002
    Hmm... Well, I used to play instruments. Haven't really touched any since I graduated from high school though. :(

Started playing the Clarinet in 86, switched to the Bass Clarinet in 88. In 91 I switched to the Contra Bass Clarinet for concert band, but stayed with the Bass Clarinet for Marching Band. In 92 I switched to the Tenor Sax for Marching Band, and then in 94 switched to the Tenor Sax in concert band as well.

Don't know how many times people wondered what the heck I was playing when I used the contra bass clarinet. :)

11. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    To be somewhat different SATB recorder (early music)

12. Antilles58

Antilles58 TFNInteractive Games Programmer star 3 VIP

Jun 5, 2000
    trumpet, well, not anymore.

13. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    I play trumpet and sing (tenor), but it's the amount of groups that I'm in that accelarated my musical learning.

Jazz Combo, Chorus, Jazz Chorus, Show Chorus, Pep Band, Marching Band, Jazz Ensemble, Show Chorus, All-State Jazz Chorus, Church Choir, Musical Theater, Symphonic Band, and a small garage band/combo!

14. Thaddeus_Walters

Thaddeus_Walters Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    Clarinet all the way!
    I sorta play xylophone, but I can play the piano pretty well for my age (I've played the piano since I was about 5, but took real lessons when I was eight((whew!! eight years!!)
    I'd like to play the tenor sax, and I wanted a bass clarinet mouthpiece (I don't trust our school's mouthpieces), but I don't know...
    I also like to sing.
    Marching Band, Jazz Band, Composers Club...
    What we've got, I do.

15. Cerebrum

Cerebrum Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2002
    I've been playing the cello for about two years.

16. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Great, more cellists! :D You're all welcome to come join my pitiful little school orchestra - we have three cellists, including me, but the other two hardly make a sound and I end up having to play as loud as I can to be heard above the 19 violins!

17. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Some guitar and bass, but I don't play anything anymore.

18. WSAENOTSOCK

WSAENOTSOCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2001
    hey Master Chbel, I play the descant, S, A and T recorders too. I tried teh bass, but the darned holes are too big for my teeny fingers. The tenor's quite a challenge too, to make pure,rich sounds.

Most people just play the descant.

19. Cerebrum

Cerebrum Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2002
    Slavegirl, I know how you feel. Right now there are seven cellos and sixteen violins in the Symphonic Orchestra at my school, but only about three of us can actually play well. Two of them are never in tune, and there are two that give up when they can't play it, and are just...touble makers. Yesterday they got kicked out of orchestra, though. The teacher had had enough of their acting up. I hope they're gone for good.

20. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Oh dear, that can't be too fun. I should send my music teacher over to conduct your orchestra - she's quite terrifying and no-one dares misbehave around her. :p Anyway, I'm quitting my school orchestra soon to concentrate on the other orchestra that I play in (it's been called "the best amuter orchestra in Britian" :D), and with 18 cellists in it, I shouldn't feel too lonely. :)

21. Yoda_the_Funky1

Yoda_the_Funky1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
    Bass Trombone..if you dont know what that is..its this HUGE trombone that can play very very low notes.

*is damn good at it too*

22. DarthKillaaa

DarthKillaaa Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm a guitar player
    eh

eh did you guys know that there is another John Williams.. he's playing classical guitar.. quite good actually

http://www.johnwilliamsguitar.com/

23. Celina_Marniss864

Celina_Marniss864 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2002
    Let's see here...

I've Clarinet (b-flat and e-flat) for seven years. I mostly just play solos now, but I played in the middle school band and in two honor bands.

Tenor sax for 4 years. When I started high school, our jazz band was desperately in need of another tenor sax and the fingerings weren't too different from clarinet. It's become my main instrument now. Play it in concert and jazz band, played in an honor band and i'll be marching in the Indy 500 with the All-State Marching band.

Piano for well...about six years all together. I tought myself the basics and started taking lessons a couple of years later. Probably my favorite instrument. :)

I also sing soprano/mezzo soprano in our school's Advanced Choir. I'm a soloist, I've gone to competition and got a 1st place rating at state competition. Also sang in the All-State Choir a few months ago. That was an *incredible* experience! :D

Also dabble a bit with composing... Don't think I'm that great at it though...

Well, ok, I'm done bragging now... ;)

~Celina
    who's not as conceited as she may seem...

24. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    When I was a kid, I took guitar lessons at school, but the teacher was a pain and pretty much kicked me out of the class. So I was left with an expensive Spanish guitar that I couldn't play. I haven't made any progress with instruments since then. But one of my life goals is to learn to play the piano, the violin and a few other instruments by the end of this decade.

25. JediMasterLuminara

JediMasterLuminara Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    trumpet, french horn, and piano

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.