main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What instrument do YOU play? - OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mar17swgirl, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    I play Euphonium (people who call it a baritone get it right, the bell fronts are also euphoniums, baritones have a smaller bore and doesn't have as good of tone quality), Marching Baritone, Trumpet, Tuba BBb, Bass Guitar...
    I'm starting Piano, Trombone, French Horn.

I'm going to start Guitar, Tuba in keys of CC, F, E, Marching Baritone in the Key of G, Alto Horn, Mellophone, Fugelhorn, Concert Baritone horn, Bass Trombone, Orchestra Bass, Alto Trombone, Piccolo Trumpet, and Trumpet in the key of G, whenever I can afford a new instrument. I've played each of these at least twice. Maybe more once i've at least gotten all of these.
    I am first chair Euphonium this year but next year I'll be playing the Tuba Because we don't have any Tubas coming up next year but I prefer Euphonium.
    I've Played Trumpet for 4 yrs stopped for about 2 yrs and played 2 yrs after that.
    I've Played Euphonium for 6 yrs in 2 wks.
    I've Played Tuba for a little bit 6 yrs. ago but was a midget then and lucky if i wayed more than the thing, started playing again 2 yrs ago.
    Marching Baritone for 3yrs.
    Self teaching piano for 5 yrs. actually improving on it about half a year ago.
    Bass every now and then for a year. But only played like six times and know 15 songs.
    Just bairly played any guitar
    I used to play concert Baritone for less than a year about 6 yrs. ago and I plan on playing it again soon.
    And I've Bairly Started Trombone And French Horn.

2. Kirney_Slane

Kirney_Slane Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    I've played the piano for 12 years, but that seems like so little compared to other people's experience! I sing in a choir, but not very well ;)
    Oh, and since it seems to be the cool thing to do, I'll throw in the fact that I can play all three movements of the Moonlight Sonata :)

3. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Way to go Lara! :D

4. Katina_Of_SWC

Katina_Of_SWC Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2001
    I've played cello for six years now! We need to start a Cello Mafia in the forums! ;) I just wish the Star Wars music had more strings in it...Across the Stars was nice because you could actually hear the string section!

5. BobaFett0000

BobaFett0000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2001
    Guitar. Does anyone know any cool songs to play?

6. Kun2112

Kun2112 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2002
    Trombone for 15 years, then I heard Christian Lindberg play Morceau symphonique, realized I would never play it as good as him and quit.
    Piano 3 semesters
    trumpet 1 semester
    french horn 1 semester
    percussion 2 semesters
    sax family 2 semesters
    clarinet 1 semester
    flute 1 semester
    rest of low brass 2 years
    I *was* a music major
    after college, Bass for 5 years. much more fun than the tradidtional stuff IMO.

7. Fearless_Leader

Fearless_Leader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    I've played Violin/Viola for 11 years, and have played in three different symphony orchestras.

I learned Violin first, though I prefer the Viola because of its sound.

Knowing both also gives you flexibility when players are being selected for quartets. You know, in case they choose two violinists who are better than me I can still be up for the Viola position.

I'll never quit. I love playing too much.

8. YodaGirl52

YodaGirl52 Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2002
    I sing(does that count?), and I play a little piano.

9. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I've played Violin/Viola for 11 years, and have played in three different symphony orchestras.

I envy you so.

10. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002

I envy you so.

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002

I envy you so.

12. xaton

xaton Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2002
    iv'e always wanted to play everything, drums bass, at one point i thought about an orchestra instument to play star wars but i settled w/ guitar

13. DimensionX

DimensionX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    I've played the Piano for 13 years.

And the E flat Alto Saxophone for 6 years.

14. Darth-Solo

Darth-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    Guitar(24 years)Bass,Drums,Sing,Piano,Harmonica,Banjo,and I have my own home recording studio.

15. selina

selina Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 22, 2001
    I have played the piano at school for soo long but I have stoped playing now

16. JediMasterKettch

JediMasterKettch Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2002
    I love being able to say this....I'm tetra-instrumental!!

1) Piano- started taking lessons in kindergarten. I'm not really good but I know enough to play at parties with my friends.

2) Alto Saxophone- started playing in 4th grade, and still loving it!

3) Trombone- my ticket into orchestras and (hopefully) the music of John Williams the way it was meant to be played.

4) Scottish Higland Bagpipes- I'm currently taking lessons with a wonderful teacher who has books and CDs on sale all around the world. I'm hoping to start competing soon. I haven't seen anyone else mention the pipes on here, and I'm proud to be able to say that I can play them.

Other than that, I can sort of play the harmonica, and I figured out the STAR WARS Main Theme on recorder (I was REALLY bored one day). Basically, music is pretty much my life.

John Williams is my absolute favorite movie score copmoser. I love the French Horn parts in STAR WARS, and I am mesmerized by his use of strings, especially in Across the Stars and the Harry Potter music. It is really the only type of instrument I have no knowledge of how to play, so whenever I hear them and watch the talented musicians who play them so well, I am amazed. Keep up the good work, everybody!

17. Angel_of_Naboo

Angel_of_Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Trumpet power!!!!! :D It's weird how it seems to be the only instrument I can play, except for the recorder of course... I was second chair two years ago and first chair last year. I sing too(mezzo soprano), and I love it. Voice is an instrument, a beautiful and difficult to control one. :D

18. 800-pound_ewok

800-pound_ewok Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2002
    the piano and the guitar.

cheers!

19. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    I have played the drums for a while now.

20. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    Bagpipes and Oboe!

-Kol

21. FarmboyKatarn

FarmboyKatarn Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    Yea! Another oboe!
    I play oboe, piano, guitar, and bass guitar. I can play Lots of cool stuff on oboe and piano(LotR, SW) bass is mostly for Nirvana music, and everything else i can play on guitar.

22. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
  23. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Hey, Katina and Furry Duck! I'm a cellist too...and I totally agree. We need some sort of group out here! There can never be enough cellists in the world.. :D

24. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Hmm... I thought I'd posted on this thread already but evidently, I haven't. So I will.

My primary instrument is piano, which I've played since I was seven. I was trained classically and have my Royal Conservatory of Music certification. Most of the time nowadays, though, I play improvised jazz... just solo, though I've performed in big bands before. I do my own arrangements of many pop tunes. Next summer, I'm thinking of applying for a job as a cocktail pianist.

My secondary instrument is clarinet, which I've played since I was twelve. I learned it through school band programmes but on the way, I also picked up some jazz technique by myself, though not nearly enough.

I can also strum a few chords on guitar and play a few simple licks on harmonica. I also learned drum kit for about a week or so, as a side thing, but I've long since forgotten it...

25. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I learned clarinet when I was younger, but haven't played it in years.

I own 2 guitars, a Strat and a nice Washburn accoustic that I picked up used a few years ago. I'm self-taught, and not especially great. :(

I also dabble on the piano a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.