What is a Force Heretic *spoilers . . . maybe*

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediLaw, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLaw Force Ghost

star 3
    What in the name of Gump is a Force Heretic? Is it even possible to be a Force Heretic? A lightside heretic is a darksider and a darkside heretic is a lightsider.

I am . . .once again . . .quite clueless
  2. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
  3. Mira_McGrath Jedi Knight

star 1
  4. Vergere Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    not quite. officially, heretic is defined as "one who dissents from an accepted belief or doctrine". I can see Kyp as a heretic. He doesn't conform to the rules that Luke has laid out for the Jedi.
  5. Mira_McGrath Jedi Knight

star 1
  6. Doogie76 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah but in the last few books we have seen Kyp get bitch smacked around told to "know his role" as Vince McMahon would put it...
  7. ganner_rhysode Jedi Master

star 4
    Perhaps more Jedi use Anakin's methods to sense the YV.

After all in Conquest he started to feel
    that the force was only one part of a greater, all encompassing entity. Would this not make him a "heretic" of sorts?

So if anyone follows Anakin's example, let's for arguments sake say Tahiri, then would they not also be "heretics"?

Maybe Jacen abandons the force altogether. This would again be a form of heresy.

Likewise Vergere. We know from Rogue Planet that she is a Jedi. Perhaps she completely sides with the YV.

Something to think about ;)
  8. ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling

star 4
    THREE books ENTIRELY about Vergere? I don't think I could stand to read them...
  9. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    jacen wasn't a heretic for abandoning the Force, he just ceased to be a Jedi.

A force heretic solely will be a Jedi who becomes a Dark Side.

No other way around it.

My guess is since Jania won't turn it will Kyp, a Student of Kyps, or a ressurected Anakin
  10. ganner_rhysode Jedi Master

star 4
    By no means does "heretic" definitely infer darkness.
  11. ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The Buddha was a heretic, and he was by no means "dark".
  12. ganner_rhysode Jedi Master

star 4
  13. JediLaw Force Ghost

star 3
    What about those freaks that followed around palpatine in RotJ??? Were they force heretics?

I think that "heretic" would be best used as a term for someone who follows a teaching different than the Jedi Code . . .like the weirdos fought by Luke and Corran in I, Jedi.

But . . . in all likelihood, the author will probably use the term heretic as one who falls from the light side.
  14. ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The same goes for that Luther guy, Mohammed, Abraham, Sri Krishna, Chales Darwin and Jesus Christ.

Personally, I think that the Force Heretic books will focus on one character, one we like a lot who will be shunned by those he or she loves for his or her unorthodox methods when it comes to using the Force or thinking about the Force. We might even start to hate the other characters for their own bigotry towards him or her - but in the end, all will be well, and the heretic's view may become an accepted one. My list of most probables?

Tahiri: Maybe Tahiri is the only one who still thinks about Anakin's revolutionary ideas reguarding the nature of the Force...

Jaina: She's goin' bad. But maybe not all bad... maybe she's hittin' a nescessary balance...

Ben: The kid might be! We don't know yet!

Kyp: Who's MORE innovative?
  15. ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Well, JediLaw, usually I give authors more credit than that, but... after those whacked out titles "Rebirth" and "Conquest", I dunno what to think.
  16. Mira_McGrath Jedi Knight

star 1
    jaina or tahiri sound like the most likely out of those.
  17. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    A heretic to a religion yes.

A Heretic to the Force is evil.

18. ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling

star 4
    No, the force is not nescessarily a good thing. I thought somebody with Darth Vader as their icon would understand that.

Being a heretic from the Force can mean many things.
  19. Mira_McGrath Jedi Knight

star 1
    it could be that they just don't believe in it any more. that could be tahiri. disallusioned by the force because it let anakin die.
  20. ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling

star 4
    OOOOH! THAT WOULD BE SO COOL! And in the book Reunion, he would come back and... [face_love]
  21. JediLaw Force Ghost

star 3
    "Ben: The kid might be! We don't know yet!"

how can a toddler be a force heretic? he can't even tie his shoes yet?

I think it will be about Kyp. Tahiri is a character who is very much dependent on another more established character, namely Anakin solo. Without him . . . well, she just isn't very interesting. So I am going with kyp.

22. Mira_McGrath Jedi Knight

star 1
    i think we have a cool twist going here. this could be interesting
  23. Mira_McGrath Jedi Knight

star 1
    tahiri could very easilly be devoloped to be a great character all by herself. she doesn't need other people to support her.
  24. ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I'm just saying; we don't know when Force Heretic is gonna happen! It might be a long time from now!
  25. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    I trust the Force's judgement.

Not the practioners of it.

And I'm a firm believer in the Dualistic antagonistic side even as they enrich one another.

(Specifically evil exists in the Star Wars universe so good can triumph over it)

Specifically also let's recognize that heretic implies by it's meaning

"A person who disagrees fundementally with the precepts that are at the core of the religion yet still maintains a sembelance"

is how I define it.

A Dark Jedi isn't a Force heretic it's a Jedi who is very poorly doing his job (perhaps even enriching himself with his powers instead of protecting)

A Sith is a Force heretic because it is a perversion isnide and out of the Jedi but something altogether different.

I wish we'd see Lumiya in it (training jania) but I know that won't happen
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.