main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What is a weekend?" The Downton Abbey Adoration Thread (unhighlighted spoilers after UK eps. air)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Everton, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/Downton_Abbey.jpg]

Violet, Robert, Cora (oh, Cora [face_love]), Isobel, Matthew, Lady Mary, Lady Edith, Lady Sybil...

Carson, Mrs Hughes, Mrs Patmore, O'Brien, Bates, Thomas, William, Anna, Branson, Daisy...

The first series was a revelation, the second will be exceed even that. To be broadcast on ITV1 weekly from 18th September... I for one am counting the days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8670941/Downton-Abbey-second-series-first-review.html][/url]Really positive early vibes, too.

Gratuitous picture of Cora:

[image=http://www.modachicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/925790796.jpg]

I trust the rest of you are as excited as I am?

Jello edit - Thread spoiler house rules: unhighlighted spoilers are permitted after the UK airing of episodes. Currently season 3 is airing.

2. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    SIBYL
    CRAWLEY

WOMAN OF MY HEART

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I still haven't seen the last two episodes (sshhh!).

But Lady Sybil is my favorite too.

edit: well, excluding Lord Grantham and the dowager countess of course. They're all my favorites.

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Only 17 days to go? Sweet! :D I can't wait.

Lady Sibyl is indeed awesome, but I have a huge soft spot for Lady Mary, because Michelle Dockery is such a fantastic actress. :) I had been screaming for her to get together with Matthew since the beginning, because they make such a sweet couple.

And the Dowager Countess of Grantham is simply badass. Dame Maggie Smith just steals every scene she's in (the verbal fight between Professor McGonagall and Harriet Jones is still the best thing on the show :p).

From downstairs, my favourite character is Mr. Carson. So proper and respectable and strict, but with a big heart, too. The scene in which (hl just in case) he comforts Lady Mary and tells her (I'm paraphrasing here) that "even butlers have their favourites" was very touching and sweet.

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    QMAOFT. I almost worry that they'll give her too much screentime in this series simply because she's so awesome. She works in short bursts, does Violet. :p

Although the prospective romance between Lady Mary and Matthew is good to watch and a lovely slow burner, for me the most interesting dynamic of that sort is between Bates and Anna. Sometimes I want to SCREAM at Bates and really hope Anna makes inroads this series.

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Mar sent me a copy of this show as a Christmas present (it was the Christmas gift one, right? I can't remember, you've sent me too much awesome British TV shows :p ). Like the other shows she's introduced me to, I have enjoyed it immensely.

It's been a while, I should re-watch it.

And now I want period costuming. WANT. NOA.

:D

7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    OMG, how could I have forgotten Bates and Anna! :oops: Another reason why I need to re-watch the first series before the second series starts. Sometimes I love them even more than Mary/Matthew. So subtle and tender and sweet.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Dame Maggie Smith is teh awesome, without her the show wouldn't work as it does.

But all the cast are good, I look forward to the upcoming new series.

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    How can you take it? How can you have two episodes to watch and not want to devour them immediately? :confused:

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    It's certainly the best ensemble cast since "State Of Play".

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Simple. It's like a fine brandy--meant to be sipped. I only watch the episodes ten minutes at a time, because each and every minute is so delightful and must be savored. So I stop myself (I started the penultimate episode after posting in this thread, and am--mirabile dictu--ten minutes in) from going too quickly, lest the season be finished and I have none left to look forward to.

edit: also, I had no access to Netflix while in England, so that slowed me down quite a bit. I apparently saw episode 5 on 6/30 :p

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I admire your self-discipline when it comes to television, Jay... :p

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I may well be walking right into an lol @ Everton here... but nevertheless... seriously? The episodes are meant to be watched through. The drama maintained - one scene gracefully moving into the next. I'd rather watch an episode through and then immediately watch it again.

EDIT: Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Opportunity cost. I lose the chance to appreciate each episode as a complete dramatic unit, but I gain in terms of long term value. I think it's a worthy trade.

15. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Ahh, I love Downton Abbey and I love that it's SO SOON.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    One episode left. Are you happy Everton?? :p

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Can't wait, eventhough in my case I think I'll have to wait until winter to see it.

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Delighted! :p

Now get to that finale!

19. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    Dear Jay,

You must be exceptionally frustrating to have sex with.

Lots of Man Love,
    Jay-Jay

-JR :)

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay, I finished the show. I watched the finale in one go. Arrrrgh, I want the new season to start. I have no idea when it's going to arrive in the States, though!

JR: Why would I be operating under the assumption that there's any ending?

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The show will arrive across the world within minutes of it's UK broadcast. ;)

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    True enough, but that's not the point. :p

I loved the dowager countess fussing about electricity and phones. It's wonderful. And I'm not sure who I hate more: Edith, Thomas, or O'Brien.

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    O'Brien can be redeemed! She has it in her.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, it's nice that she had a glimmer of humanity. I think Thomas was a bad influence on her (and is beyond redemption). But it's all ruined now.

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Nobody is beyond redemption, but I think Fellowes is playing the long game with Thomas. Banking on the show having a long run to get an arc for him.