main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What is a weekend?" The Downton Abbey Adoration Thread (unhighlighted spoilers after UK eps. air)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Everton, Sep 1, 2011.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Missus in floods of tears here.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I am wont to tear up a little too readily when tragedy, or love, strikes at "Downton Abbey"... but tonight the show earned my tears. I had no idea that was coming, and marvel that it was kept a secret. The cast were at their finest, but I want to mention Dame Maggie Smith. The Dowager Countess has (IMHO) spent too much of this series simply sniping from the stalls (it's been brilliant, but slightly too one dimensional when set against the past). Tonight, she was perfection. Two consecutive scenes - the first when she greets Carson, "Oh Carson. We've seen some troubles you and I. Nothing worse than this." Then she walks away, and almost breaks down. The camera watches her, just watches. Towards, and then away. Magnificent scene. The second, moments later, talking to her son, "My dear, when tragedies strike, we try to find someone to blame. In the absence of a suitable candidate we usually blame ourselves. You are not to blame. No-one is to blame. Our darling Sybil has died... during childbirth... like too many women before her. All we can do now... is cherish her memory... and her child." Sybil's death was hard to deal with, but the Dowager Countess - through the sheer brilliance of Dame Maggie Smith's performance - brought it home. Humanity in the right place, but so very, very hard to watch.

3. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I usually read The Guardian's online series blog for "Downton Abbey". The blog is usually available immediately after the episode, but tonight (as of right now) the page tells readers that "Unfortunately, ITV was unable to provide us with a preview of tonight's show – it wasn't ready in time – so we're unable to publish in our usual style." Clearly ITV decided to keep it back, lest the news break prematurely.

4. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I too loved the scene where the Dowager Countess walked away. It was subtly poignant.

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Carson had some good moments in the first half of the episode. Mostly in the form of pitch-perfect indignation when discussing Ethel with Mrs. Hughes. "Mrs. Crawley has hired a prostitute to manage her house?" "I didn't think she was running a brothel in Mrs. Crawley's kitchen." Pretty funny. He also appeared to have Lord Grantham's back whenever the conversation turned towards medical matters. :p

I really thought we were going to get some progress in getting Mr. Bates out of prison, but it looks like the guard is one step ahead... so.... *yawn* :(

Allen Leech continues to excel as Branson. We may not like him (ladles of sympathy are due this evening, of course) but the man is doing a grand job. Thomas' tears... they were genuine, too. Another feather in the cap of Anna, too. She doesn't care that Thomas is a bastard. She only cares that someone is upset.

Lord Grantham is being unraveled. His judgement re: the estate, finances, and - correctly or otherwise - Cora has turned.

But oh, it feels so inappropriate look for awesomeness when Lady Sybil has died.

6. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Man, I was really affected by that death scene. I mean, we watched William and Lavinia's final moments, but this one was so horrible with those seizure. And to see everyone there just helpless... so terribly sad.

All the interactions downstairs upon the news - Mrs. Hughs hugging Daisy, Anna comforting Thomas, Carson and Hughs' talk - those really got to me. So fantastically acted, as well as Mary and Edith's poignant talk at Sybil's bedside. I actually laughed when Mary remarked that Sybil was the only one who thought of her and Edith as two nice people, but by their embrace at the end of the conversation I was pretty teary.

I'm curious to see what impact this has on Matthew and Mary's eagerness to have children.

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I did not expect this. :( :( :(

I agree with Everton on everything about this episode. I also want to mention Thomas's reaction to Lady Sybil's death - just when I'm comfortable safely hating Thomas for being a bastard, the show does something to show his human side...

Also, Matthew, NOT the right time, man. Seriously, not helping.

8. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I did not expect them to get rid of the most likeable sister. :p

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I know. :oops: Matthew is the way forward for the estate, but just as Lord Grantham's trusty but fairly inflexible guiding hand is being challenged by current events, Matthew needs to learn to lead with perspective - the head and the heart. Robert still has a lot to teach him.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THAT. :_|:_|

I'll echo the Dowager Countess walk away. OMG that was perfect and made me cry harder. And Thomas... omg Thomas.

Damn Mary for making me laugh in the middle of tears with her "she was the only person who always thought we were such nice people."

Mar17swgirl and Handmaiden_Yane like this.
  11. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I really thought everything was going to be okay, but after all that arguing and things turning out okay...I got really, really suspicious. I had to hold Theo's hand while it happened...watching them all so helpless was terrible.

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I remember realising what was going to happen before it did and feeling just as powerless as anyone in that bedroom. Keeping it a secret put the viewer in the same position (almost) as the characters. They'd walked into quicksand, and I felt like I was sinking along with them. It's quite wonderful to have something dawn on you in its entirety (even something so horrific) as you watch. In these situations tidbits are usually leaked... viewers are primed with knowledge that someone might die, etc. All in the name of increasing ratings. Not on Sunday. So refreshing.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  13. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I knew it would happen when they said that a healthy baby girl was born and Sybil was fine. I was like, whaaaat? Everything was *too* okay after that kerfuffle over rushing her to the hospital and having a C-section. I knew that the moment she went to sleep, that was it. :(

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah. The eye of the storm. I was actually thinking about how I'd complain about the quick resolution on the JCC. :p

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    That part threw me except I knew deep down that she was gonna die because it was TOO perfect. :(

16. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Lord Grantham annoyed me soooo much this episode, up until the very end when he started talking about forgetting Sybil was gone...that bit about the rose in bloom...ahhhhh. :_| That, and his happiness at Mr. Bates being released redeemed his annoying-ness this episode.

I thought the Dowager was absolutely brilliant this episode and I was also very glad that all the ladies stayed at Mrs. Crawley's instead of going with Lord Grantham.

I laughed at Mrs. Patmore's "Everyone's in love with the wrong people!" I'm guessing that James/Jamie has a crush on Daisy? They were cute dancing together. Also, Ivy and Daisy look really similar...without my glasses on, they look like the same person on TV. :p :-B

People I really loved this episode:
    Mrs. Patmore
    Mrs. Hughes
    Mary
    Dowager Countess

And I have to say, Tom was very good this episode. I think he hit all the right notes.

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Not going to read through the thread because I don't want spoilers, but I watched series 1 in about a day and absolutely ADORED it.

Carson, Bates, Sybil and Gwen are my favorites.

Special Award for Best Roses/Character goes to Dowager Countess, of course.

Mar17swgirl and Handmaiden_Yane like this.
  18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I loved how everyone ganged up on Lord Grantham and Mr. Carson in this episode. :p Seriously, Robert, why are you so damn stubborn? :oops:

I also loved how the Dowager Countess was back her old "manipulate people for their own benefit and the greater good" self. The scene at the end where Cora and Robert finally hugged was so touching. :_|

Mary and Matthew's talk about not taking things for granted. [face_love]

Let's recap, shall we?

Jimmy has a crush on Daisy
    Daisy has a crush on Alfred
    Alfred has a crush on Ivy
    Ivy has a crush on Jimmy
    Thomas also has a crush on Jimmy

Nice little love pentagon there... :p

It was very nice of Mrs. Patmore to help Ethel with the luncheon, though. And how all the ladies stood up for her against Lord Grantham.

And I lol'd at all of them (except for Lord Grantham, of course) ganging up on Mr. Travis during dinner re: Catholicism. [face_laugh] (I was reminded of a snippet from A Bit of Fry and Laurie - "Is God an Englishman? Well, that's a tricky one. Theologians are pretty much undecided, but I think it's been universally agreed that He isn't Welsh." :p )

And FINALLY some real progress on freeing Bates! [face_dancing][face_dancing] :D

Good episode. Good episode. :)

Everton and Handmaiden_Yane like this.
  19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    [face_hypnotized] A little to complex IMHO. I miss the days of Thomas and William the footmen - both strong characters in their own right. Thomas in league with O'Brien, trying to bring Mr. Bates down. William the upstanding young man who never seems to catch a break. Ivy, Alfred and Jimmy are shallow by comparison. If it weren't for the fact they all fancied each other there wouldn't be anything for them to do. I certainly wouldn't be interested in them as people. I hate Thomas, but he's very interesting. Such a shame he's being dragged into the 'drama'. Series three is good, but the downstairs dynamic is shifting from psychological warfare to love triangles. Not a good look. O'Brien as puppet master gives me hope, though - hope that Fellowes is doing more than just matchmaking.

I also agree that Ivy looks like Daisy.

Carson is still excelling at being Carson... "Because I am who I am, Mrs. Hughes". :p He's starting to appear anachronistic, but at least Carson is managing to tackle change without compromising his dignity (take note Lord Grantham). Sometimes he's more of an aristocrat than the real aristocrats upstairs! :p We got another episode of 'Carson Investigates' when he happened to see Mrs. Patmore coming out of Isobel's 'brothel'. ;) "Of course if Mrs. Patmore wants to spend her time frolicking with prostitutes." [face_laugh] [face_laugh] "You have allowed a woman of the streets to wait on tables for our family?" - said with as much indignation as I think it's possible for one man to generate. :p - "I am speechless". And then Mrs. Hughes' brilliant coda, "I would guess he won't stay speechless for long."

Also is the budding (or non-existent, I'm not sure which) romance between Carson and Mrs. Hughes on the rocks? Carson is plainly very disappointed in Mrs. Hughes and her stance re: Ethel. "I never thought of you as a woman with no standards." :eek:

I noticed Carson gave Branson a withering look when - at dinner - he made it clear that Sybil would be "baptised into my tribe". Carson was loitering overheard and didn't look like he approved. So yeah... Branson. I can still despise his politics, but I can't dislike him as a distraught widower. When Tom (yikes, I typed that without thinking) returned to the series I thought it would be so his hopes and dreams could be dashed. Politically, of course. I thought that was all Fellowes had in mind. As the chauffeur Tom was never my favourite character. I didn't think Allen Leech had much more to offer than love struck servant. Fellowes clearly thought differently and how right he was. Leech is hitting all the right notes ("Did she. Oh God did she really?"). Cracking performance. Possibly the best of the series if you don't count Maggie Smith (who is the best by default).

I agree with Maria on this issue. A fantastic team assault on an awful prejudice of the period - but done with humour. Essential humour. Travis was made to look foolish... and by extension so was Lord Grantham. Speaking of Robert, that's yet another shot across his bows. First the mismanagement of the estate, then the loss of his daughter and the questions that raised about his judgement (she may have died, but he still chose poorly), then he makes a fool of himself at Crawley House and now that anti-Catholic thing coming to the surface. I can't remember exactly where, or who said it (probably Matthew), but there was a line about Robert making decisions based on outdated ideals (but phrased more effectively than that). It's true. Robert is frustrated at every turn by progress and change. He's become the living embodiment of resistance to it - not deliberate resistance, but inbred resistance. This is, IMHO, extremely good writing. Bonneville captures that frustration perfectly. If Robert could burst out of his tails and rail against the world - as King Lear did - he would. But he cannot.

(also, the way Robert said "What." when Tom confirmed his daughter would be Catholic put me in mind of Tenzin. :p )

We don't leave the episode without something from Robert's heart, though. His speech about roses in bloom was heartbreaking.

Isobel. This week she took a step up - from extraordinarily boring to only boring. In one of the opening scenes she almost pleads with the family, "I hope you'll let me know if there's anything I can do. Anything at all." Part of me heard the character speak the line, and part of me heard Penelope Wilton pleading with Julian Fellowes. :p Still, she did improve. Notably in two scenes. Eating Ethel's soup - the look on Isobel's face when she realised the soup was awful coincided perfectly with the maid's request to cook for Lady Grantham et al. Very low key comedy. The second was her defence of Ethel when Lord Grantham stormed in on luncheon. Recently even when she's supposed to be acting on or defending her beliefs Isobel has been boring (and who should be boring when speaking from the heart?), but she came to life this week. Reminded me of the proud woman who first set foot in Downton and unabashedly asked the Dowager Countess what they should call one another.

I complained a little (prior to Lady Sybil's death) about the Dowager Countess being handed the role of comic relief a little too often this series. I wanted her to take a proactive role in the story. Well those prayers have been answered, and how. Awful that it took a death in the family to make it happen, but Violet is now the strongest of them all, the calmest of them all, the wisest of them all. A rock for the Crawleys. She's moved effortlessly from sniper to guardian. What a joy. Lord and Lady Grantham had to grieve, and they had to do it together. She made sure of that - she made sure however it had to be done. I adored the scene between Lord Grantham and the Dowager Countess. Robert was speaking to his mother, not a Countess. He sought advice - perhaps finally recognising his failings. He really did flop into that chair. :p And then Maggie Smith unloads another wonderful piece of dialogue, "I do not speak much of the heart, since it's seldom helpful to do so... but I know well enough the pain when it is broken."

The Dowager Countess did get one hilarious and cutting line, though (delivered, ever appropriately, to Isobel), "Do I count as one of the girls?" [face_laugh] The reveal was brilliant, too. Actually, she had two great lines. The second was at Crawley House when Ethel turns up with the Charlotte russe, "I suppose she has an appropriate costume for every activity." :p

Basically, the Dowager Countess is back, and in three dimensions.

btw, what a good job the make-up people did making Cora look so pale.

I think they did the right thing not showing the funeral.

I don't really understand why Thomas is so upset about Lady Sybil. Did I miss a sub plot where they bonded? Unless he thinks his puppy dog impression will move Jimmy.

Bates. BATES! Oh my God, at last he's coming home. I really enjoyed the all the scenes with Anna, Lady Mary, Lady Edith and Lord Grantham (he really did need this good news), but am a little bit annoyed at how it came to pass. After weeks of faffing about, set back after set back... and last weeks depressing cliff hanger... it was all resolved neatly by Mr. Bates threatening that prisoner (I forget his name). After all that complaining, it happened too quickly. 8-}Never mind. I can't wait for him to come back to Downton. Nor can I wait for Mr. and Mrs Bates to be reunited. After all the tedium this sub plot has dished out, it's a testament to the couple and the strength of their relationship that I'm still gonna get emotional when he finally sets foot in Downton... and when he kisses her - once again a free man. :cool:

Agreed. Gorgeous moment between the pair of them. It's been a while since we were shown how much these two love each other. Those few words do it complete justice. About Downton. About each other. "I have to take one thing for granted. That I will love you until the last breath leaves my body." Top quality line, echoing back to the night before their marriage.

It used to annoy me, but I'm now finding Mr. Mason's attempts to help Daisy along really touching. He has the wisdom to see that houses like Downton will not last for the length of Daisy's working life. If all those tiresome scenes in series two where Daisy didn't know what to do re: William end up with her taking on the tenancy of Mr. Mason's farm then it will all have been worth it.

Mrs. Patmore. :D SUPERSTAR. In this episode the pen that would usually write for the Dowager Countess wrote for her:

"Anyone who has use of their limbs can make a salmon mousse."
    "Do I look like a frolicker?" [face_rofl]

Darth_Omega and Mar17swgirl like this.
  20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    He did say to Anna (when the servants learned that Lady Sybil had died) that she had always been nice to him, or something along those lines. But then again, Lady Sybil had always been nice to everyone.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    He may have meant that of the staff employed when Lady Sybil was resident at Downton, only himself and Anna remain who had regular with her. Perhaps. After all, Carson, Mrs. Hughes, Mr. Bates and O'Brien had little reason to see her. William and Gwen are long gone.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was spoiled about the stuff from last week (not intentionally, but I saw it coming as a result) so I'm really sad that it didn't hit me as hard as it should have -- I was already braced for it. But I have to admit that when I saw that scumbag Thomas's reaction, that did get to me -- if even he could have a human emotion...

As for this week's stuff:

Ms. Patmore continues to be amusing. She seems to be the only one who knows who really is interested in who, while everyone else fumbles around ignorantly.

Lord Grantham may offend our sensibilities, but I can see where he's coming from. I don't agree with him now, but in the circumstances, I might've. That said, I'd have thought Sybil's views on the matter would've been decisive.

I think Mary's slotting in to take the role of my favorite character at the moment (the Dowager Countess doesn't count -- she'd win by default, so it's not even fair). She's trying really hard to be fair to that filthy Bolshevik and it shows that she has a lot of decency. I was disappointed that she didn't accept Edith's peace offering though.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Mary's the bridge between the old and the new. The role suits her.

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Nice to see you back in this thread, Jello. :)

25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Lord Grantham's little bit about Sybill made me start crying again.

I do love how the theme of this show was pretty much just shooting down Robert and Carson's prejudices.

I'm also glad we got to see the baby. Besides, any man + holding a baby = instant adorable.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.