main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What is a weekend?" The Downton Abbey Adoration Thread (unhighlighted spoilers after UK eps. air)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Everton, Sep 1, 2011.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, you must've loved seeing their ranks thinned. :p

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm already angry at the show breaking my "meant to be" couple, but if they touch Bates and Anna, then I'm going to be SERIOUSLY pissed off. :mad:

If Dan Stevens was going to leave the show, why did they agree to do a fourth series anyway? Unless his decision came after the announcement of the fourth series, in which case the blame is with him... I would much rather have preferred a Christmas Special that passed on the leadership of Downton from Lord Grantham to Matthew (we did get a bit of that, with Robert admitting openly that Matthew's way of running things was better) and leave it at that. Do the next series as a prequel about Robert meeting Cora.

Grr. Such a beautiful episode ending on such an awful note! :_|

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Perhaps it was inevitable after three years (contracts expiring and all that jazz), but for the first time I feel the path of the show has been dictated by the choice of an actor instead of Fellowes. I know Jessica Brown Findlay decided to leave, but when she did it felt like a tragic but believable turn of events. I suspect Fellowes - and indeed the whole company - rather enjoyed the challenge of dealing with Lady Sybil's death. Findlay gave the show something in return. The whole thing was handled masterfully and it brought Tom forward in leaps and bounds. His story - particularly after Sybil's death - has been an absolute triumph. Matthew's death felt tacked on, executed without relish or respect towards the ongoing story. A part of nothing. No gift to anyone. Fellowes could have had little choice. Boxed into a corner, I suspect. The ongoing story has been dealt a severe blow. For the second time a parent has died at the time of their child's birth. Where do you go with that? What do you do with it for a second time? We've been there with Tom, we've come through it, as has the family. He was a far better subject for such tragedy than Lady Mary.

We'll probably never know the truth about, or exact timing, of Dan Stevens' decision to leave, but right now I feel he's shown far less respect than was due to a show that - after all - made him a star. He may have privately announced his departure before the fourth series was announced, but (realistically) as long as series three was a huge success (and it was) series four was inevitable. With or without Matthew Crawley*. So it was all about how he departed. He should've agreed to bow out in a manner that was tolerable, allowing the show to explore something new. I just can't believe Fellowes, given the choice and given the time, would've killed him.

*sigh* Matthew and Mary have melted my heart more times than I care to admit. They will always be special to me - not least because of real life events of the past year - but they deserved far better than this.

*The prequel about Robert meeting Cora is, I fear, some years away.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I just saw the Christmas special, and even though I knew that Dan Stevens wasn't going to be in the next season I was hoping that they wouldn't actually kill him for a Christmas special, not when the last one ended with Matthew and Mary together. Kept hoping that Shrimpie would kidnap him to India or something like that. ;) The whole episode was a beautiful scenery, but I also felt that there wasn't much happening, and I don't see many interesting storylines for season 4. I did like Rose in this episode, and I'm guessing that she will have to take a large part in the next season, but otherwise there are only love complications that seem to be happening, especially downstairs.

I guess it's up to Tom now to run the estate, even if Robert accepted the change I don't think he can actually keep development going, and Mary isn't exactly someone I think can run something as big as Downton. I also think it's sad if Mary is going to end up mostly occupied with her baby and little Sybil.

Yodaminch likes this.
  5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Just caught up completely on this and watched the Christmas special.

After these last two births, I imagine Edith will want to stay unmarried and celibate if she knows what's good for her. :p

6. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
  7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    You know, if there hadn't been a Christmas Special at all, and the show had ended with the last episode of Series 3, with that wonderful moment between Robert, Matthew and Tom at the cricket match, it would've been an absolutely PERFECT ending to the whole show (and no need for a fourth series - maybe just a prequel one about the meeting of Robert and Cora). There's a sense of closure, a vision for the future, and nothing more needs be said. Despite there being many lovely moments in the Christmas Special, I feel that they complicated things a bit too much with Matthew's death (especially after devoting three series to him becoming the heir of Downton, accepting his role as the one who should run it, and Robert "giving him the blessing" to do so). Essentially they're back at square one, where they were at the beginning of Series 1 - what happens after Robert dies and Matthew and Mary's son isn't old enough yet to run things? I suppose Tom could step in (I can hardly see Mary in that role), but he doesn't quite have the vision, nor the authority. The last episode of Series 3 is a perfectly satisfactory ending to the whole show.

Handmaiden Yané and Yodaminch like this.
  8. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    THIS IS WHAT I SAID :p

Yodaminch likes this.
  9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Julian Fellowes discusses the idea of a Downton movie. I agree with him that if this were to happen it should be after the TV show has concluded. Thing is, I want the TV show to conclude in a way that concludes the story itself. Just like it could've at the end of series three. The thing that bothers me the most (naïvely, I know), is that Fellowes doesn't consider himself "the key decision maker in this department".

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    YAY! Season 3 shipped from Amazon today!

Everton likes this.
  11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Those gifs are amazingly accurate.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    That's brilliant. :D

Although it just reminds me how mad I am about Matthew's death.:mad:

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm mostly over it. I'm still annoyed about Sybil, though. She's stupid, but I remember her the way she used to be. Sigh.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Annoyed about her death?

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Er, yes. Bit late to complain about that other thing :p

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    :p Nah. Her death was very, very sad... but brilliantly staged. It also helped Branson along what was probably the best character arc the show has yet produced.

EDIT: And may continue to be.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd rather have a living lady than a neutered commie.

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Of course, but that doesn't make his story any less worthwhile. He's been, almost, entirely turned. In series four I can see him taking on greater responsibility and becoming the man we thought he could never be. He's abandoning the politics he once treasured. I hated him, then I pitied him... but now I have growing respect for him.

EDIT: If anything, his arc demonstrates the folly of his old ways better than any aristocrat lecturing us along similar lines.

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    As much as I used to hate Branson, he did grow more tolerable. And got a little bit more reasonable.

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I just had to fetch this Branson quote from my EWOT back in November:

"Shall I tell you how I look at it? Every man or woman who marries into this house, every child born into it, has to put their gifts at the families disposal. I'm a hard worker, and I've some knowledge of the land. Matthew knows the law and the nature of business. You understand the responsibilities we owe to the people, those who work for the estate and those who don't. It seems to me if we could manage to pool all of that, if we each do what we can do, then Downton has a real chance."

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    why do you people hate freedom?

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    You'd be great dance partner for Violet at the servants' ball.

24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    naw imma jack bates' lady and teach her how to lindy hop. maybe dougie if she's lucky

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000