main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What is a weekend?" The Downton Abbey Adoration Thread (unhighlighted spoilers after UK eps. air)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Everton, Sep 1, 2011.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It was very good, all the characters were pretty much as they were when we last saw them. The warzone was very well done. Maggie Smith on excellent form as usual.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Fantastic episode. :D I squeeed when Anna and Mr. Bates kissed (only to have my heart broken half an hour later when his bitch of a wife arrived... :_| :mad:), the Dowager Countess is in stellar form and has the best lines (as always :p), and while I liked the pranks O'Brien pulled on Ethel, I also liked how Ethel promptly took O'Brien down a notch. And Lady Sibyl! [face_love] She's so sweet and I love how she's learning the basic cooking and cleaning and stuff. I must say I feel sorry for Mr. Carson, as clearly the world order he loves so much is tumbling down, bit by bit... :p

And the scenes in the trenches were extremely well done. The visuals and the production value of this series has (impossibly) gone up from the last one.

Can't wait for more. :D

EDIT: And in the next episode: Father Octavian/Ser Jorah Mormont. Squeeee! :D [face_love] :D

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Incredible episode. Thoroughly gripping and heart-wrenching. These air weekly, yes? I can never tell how British TV works.

I have to say that at this point it's difficult to imagine anybody so villanous as Branson, though that Ethyl woman comes close.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes, new episode each Sunday.

Brnason? :confused:

I didn't realise the first episode was 90 minutes (or at least in a 90 minutes slot), so I decided it was too late to watch it again right afterwards. I'll be honest, when I first watched it on ITV I felt it was a little awkwardly paced and... busy. I mentioned this a few times in conversations with friends today. I came across, I fear, as a little damning. I've just finished watching the HD version on my PC and I'm thrilled to say it was soooo much better second time around. This I ascribe to the lack of commercial breaks on the rip. I know, I know... discussion of rips etc... but it's a valid point indeed. The version that aired on TV last night was butchered by lengthy commercial breaks and really suffered. The version I watched this evening was sublime. Cursed ITV. They are obliged to destroy well-constructed drama to stay alive.

I see we're not fussing over HTR here. Great. Because I've a lot to say.

- Wasn't Bates given a mighty entrance? Stepping off that train he looked a man on top of the world (as much as Bates ever shows emotion!). He even walked taller. When the pair kissed I cried. It was like everything had finally come together. Same goes for the scene when they talk about starting a family. Cracking performances. I've gotta say that (as much as Michelle Dockery is tremendous) Joanne Froggatt tops her in this episode. I can't recall seeing someone do gloriously happy and achingly sad so well before. Her face is a wonder. Some great lines, too... not least "The only ruin I recognise is to be without you!". Vera can go to hell. As for Bates, I can see why he had to do what she asked of him, but I wish he hadn't lied to Anna (she said he wasn't telling him the whole truth and he said he was - that he should give his vows another chance).
    - I wonder how much Vera told Ethel about Mr. Pamuk and Lady Mary?
    - Anyone else think Cora (Elizabeth McGovern) looked a little thin?
    - Violet was brilliant. Smith hasn't lost her magic. ("...meeting us all together must be intimidating." "I do hope so.")("Do you want Mr. Molesley to die?")(her remark to Ethel about driving)(toast with the Countess!). When O'Brien tricked Ethel into going to see Cora, I lover Violet's remark - "Well, do we think she's mad, ill, or working for the Russians?" Although part of my expected the Dowager Countess to say, "Well, do we think she's mad, in a coma or back in time?" :p
    - It's so reassuring to see Carson keeping his ship in order. It's always the little things... filtering the wine or making sure all the chairs for the concert as in exactly the right place. Gotta say, though, Carson's becoming such a tattle tail! :p He's lost a bit of inhibition when it comes to spilling the beans, that's for sure! And yes, he's struggling to keep a hold of that which he treasures most. Order.
    - I wonder if Lavinia is simply 'Bonnie' (a blatant obstacle to keep Ross and Rachel apart)? At heart I still think Mary is Matthew's lobster... but Fellowes has quite deliberately pegged their relationship back quite considerably with Lavinia. I hope that it's not going to become and endless soap opera - the two of them - I'd much prefer it if it was resolved one way or the other and the story simply moved beyond the 'will-they-won't-they' thing. That's something I admired about the first series, that things seemed to happen (albeit imperceptibly). I would be sad if Mary and Matthew's 'romance' was dragged out simply because there wasn't any story beyond it. Still... we're not there yet and I must not judge that which I have not seen... or give the impression I was anything other than bowled over by the episode.
    - Lord Grantham's outburst towards the tow ladies handing out white arrows. "You are the cowards here, not they!"
    - Mary. Boy oh boy. She seems more lost than ever. Her love for Matthew is so clear, she cannot speak of it, and yet she sees the

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I cannot believe he would be so indecent, so cruel, so heartless to put poor Lady Sybil on the spot like that when she was making a monumental change in her live, and all to advance his petty red nonsense. It near broke my heart. You have no idea how on edge I was during that scene, waiting for her response.

Naturally, Lady Sybil was as gracious and kind as ever in protecting even the worst sorts. Her charity knows no bounds.

6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    This, this, THIS! :D

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Interesting point of view. I didn't look at it like that. For me, it was another chance for Sybil to show her 'modernity'. She accepted that he was a man in love and let him down in the correct way. It's a brave thing to stick one's head out like that - for anyone, let alone Lady Sybil - and she saw that. Sure, Branson is always going to be banging on about his politics, but he genuinely likes her. Beyond that.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Eh. Regardless of whether you call it genuine or not, he knows exactly what it entails and his insistence on speaking of it constitutes a quintessentially political gesture. It's inappropriate and selfish. If word got out that she'd kept silent about him despite his intentions, it would put her in disrepute.

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Less than a day.

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Just found out that tonight's episode (and I dunno, maybe the rest of the run save the finale and Christmas special) is 1 hour 15 minutes as broadcast. Longer than an hour! [face_dancing] :D

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Second advert break already ( :rolleyes: ), but this is brilliant.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Last ad break. Almost completely brilliant.

Dame Maggie is just magnificent.

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    So far, the second series is a LOT more complex than the first one. I guess it should be expected, seeing that we're already familiar with most of the characters, plus there's a war going on, which is a big thing - but the difference between the series is huge.

Dame Maggie is still the best thing, though: "Edith! You are a lady, not the Toad of Toad Hall!" [face_laugh]

Speaking of Lady Edith, she really shocked me in this episode, and not necessarily in a good way... I really don't know what to think.

The scenes between Mr. Carson and Lady Mary are always lovely to watch - Lady Mary is clearly his liebling and it's so sweet how he always cares about her. I love his fierce loyalty to her: "Hmph. Miss Swire. As if any man in his right mind would ever prefer Miss Swire to you." Bless you, Mr. Carson. [face_love] I wish Lady Mary would follow his advice, though.

And could Thomas be showing signs of being an actual human being? I felt a tiny twinge of pity for him when he opened up to that blinded soldier and encouraged him not to give up...

Speaking of which, Dr. Clarkson is a moron with overblown sense of self-importance. [face_plain]

Cora shutting Violet up was a magnificent piece of badassery. Oh yeah. :cool:

And Anna. Oh, Anna... :(

So much stuff going on! Great episode, I can't wait for the next week.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Well firstly, the preview for next week seems to suggest that Jello is right about Branson.

This was a solid episode. It didn't soar, but equally it didn't disappoint.

Edith's story was the problem, I think. It all seemed very sudden, and well... I can't work out where it's going. Very convenient that the farmer's wife saw the kiss. Edith is weird. Her manner still sticks in my throat. When Carson had his 'episode', one expected Violet to remain impassively seated (rather divorced from the drama), but Edith was more concerned with her dress. I didn't like that. I note that Sir Richard also offered no assistance.

Thomas. I knew they were playing the long game with him! When he let his guard down with that blinded soldier he seemed well... as Mar put it... human. I'm beginning to wonder if his behaviour in the first series was borne of a deep seated resentment towards a society that wants to regard him as an outcast for being gay ("You've got to fight your corner... ...with your brain.") In the pilot it was clear that the Duke was able to 'get away with it' reasonably successfully, but that Thomas would never be allowed that 'luxury'. I can see how that would stir up hatred in a person who - let's face it - is always inclined towards the negative anyway.

When Thomas was revealed, smoking his cigarette, in the yard and O'Brien spotted him it felt like old times. It felt like the first series for a moment. I don't mean that as a criticism of this series, rather it felt familiar in a series that - only two episodes in - is reveling in upsetting all the apple carts. The look on O'Brien's face was close to adoration. Hero worship. When they are together they bring out the worst in each other. Take the scene in the kitchen when Thomas meets Ethel (corruptible, corruptible Ethel)... O'Brien can barely take her eyes off him and Thomas himself is in top gear... flinging insults all over the place. Notably in the direction of Mr. Bates. Yet... robbed of each others' company the pair are less of a problem. O'Brien - no doubt still remorseful about the soap incident - is meek in comparison to last series (her quick wit and cunning actually used in defence of someone... Lang), and Thomas... as has been said... shows flourishes of humanity and empathy. Hard to believe.

Molsley. Now there's a thing. I still don't like that he's made advances towards Anna. I think he's a bit selfish. I dunno. Leave Anna alone! She's for Mr. Bates and Mr. Bates alone. Another diamond performance from Joanne Froggatt in this episode. "...you regret being honest less often that you regret telling lies" - brilliant line. What a sage she is.

Mary. Marymarymarymarymarymary. TELL HIM! Get Lavinia out of the picture! I think she's up to something (mightily convenient that Lady Rosamund overheard that conversation!). The look Mary and Matthew gave each other across the dinner table was only fleeting, but it was electric. I thought there was a nice comparison to be drawn between the goodbye scene on the station last week between Mary and Matthew and the goodbye scene on the station this week between Mary and Sir Richard. Last week she truly wanted the conversation to drag on forever, for him to stay and to connect herself to him somehow. But she was uncertain and a little awkward with it. Frustrated by herself! This week, she was mechanical and seemed to view the event as if the pair were striking a business deal. Which, to be fair, Sir Richard was. Given her uncertain circumstances, the certainty Sir Richard can offer (cold, unloving certainty... but certainty nonetheless) could appeal to Mary. She didn't like the conversation as much as she liked the same conversation with Matthew, but she was at ease with it. Love - glorious unpredictable love - the likes of which stews between her and Matthew - that is what she wants but she probably feels she's never destined to have that because she can't seem to deal with it. Partly due to her own poor decisions and partly, I expect, due to fate. I liked how Mary did ma

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Wow, the ending of that episode caught up on me. I was just engrossed in it, and then all of a sudden the credits rolled. What?

Branson seems to be laying devious ground. I do not trust him.

Similarly, I don't buy Thomas's good deeds. He's just being emo--and in his interactions with the old staff, he's true to form. The bit in the preview has me thoroughly worried.

Lady Edith is a treacherous snake, as always. I would say she was disappointing, but to be truthful: I never expected anything from her. It's regrettable that she'll bring the Crawleys into further disrepute with her ways, though.

Poor Lady Mary.

The dowager countess had the best lines, again. I fear her instincts about the conversion are so very correct.

Major Clarkson is an envious toad who ought to listen to his betters. Had he listened to Lady Sybil, that man would have still been alive. But instead, he decided to puff himself up with pride at the prospect of being in charge. It's the same sort of emo, overcompensating-for-deficiencies authority fetish that the Bolsheviks and fascists alike would later plague the world with.

Really, the Bransons, Thomases, and Clarksons of the world set the stage for the turmoil of the rest of the century. How we all miss this halcyon prewar days.

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Very nice and thorough summary, Everton. I agree with it completely.

THIS.

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Clarkson is a midget amongst giants, but before they decided to open up Downton what was he to do? I'm not condoning him, but he'd surely be under pressure from above to keep the patient turnover going. Plus isn't he right that a depressed patient needs the bed less than a patient without a leg?

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, the thing is: Clarkson didn't see the man as more than a statistic. He's physically better, well, time to move him on to fit another person here. When faced with the counsel of somebody who had more closely observed him, Lady Sybil, he ought to have acceded to her wishes. I can't blame him for rejecting that deserter's views, but when Lady Sybil spoke up too . . . Not only that, but he made his true motivation patent when he barked at her about social precedence like some sort of animal. And now Clarkson's marked his territory with the blood of an innocent soldier . . .

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I see, yes. He wasn't ready to move on, else he wouldn't have been driven to suicide.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Totally like, less than an hour.

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    And I've already finished that bottle of Bordeaux. Damn. [face_frustrated]

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Second ad break. We went into it on the back of a major dog-related development!

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Short summary: cracking episode. Low key but all the better for it.

Also featured my favourite scene of the series so far.

Long tedious analysis: coming tomorrow. :p

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003