Amph "What is a weekend?" The Downton Abbey Adoration Thread (unhighlighted spoilers after UK eps. air)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Everton, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Possibly, but I don't care. :p She's right up there in my all time hated characters.
  2. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Ah, Thomas. You reap what you sow.
  3. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    ZOMG MR. GIBBS!!!11!1!! :D :D [face_love] [face_love] 8-} :p

I'm sorry, I just love Kevin McNally. Carry on. :p

Hear, bloody hear! :D Ah, justice, how sweet that tastes. :cool:

See, I KNEW Matthew would walk again! :D [face_dancing]

And Violet, dear, meddling, tireless Violet, thank you for taking the matters into your own hands (as you so often do, bless you! [face_love]) and talking to Matthew and (maybe) opening his eyes a bit. Now please have a similar conversation with your granddaughter and tell her to get off her high horse already and admit that she loves Matthew!

Speaking of Lady Mary, I was quite shocked by her attitude towards Carson. I'm sorry, Lady Mary, but that was a VERY low blow and Carson really didn't deserve it. Poor Mr. Carson, he looked so heartbroken... :(

ROBERT WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously, WHAT. [face_plain]

And Lady Sibyl. Oh dear. So you really do love the filthy bolshevik. Well. To each his own, I suppose... although I am glad that she listened to the voice of reason that was Mary and Edith, and decided to go back and face her family openly and not sneak away "like a thief in the night".

The preview for the next (and final! :() episode looks very promising - at least the dance between Mary and Matthew does...

And it hasn't been discussed in this thread IIRC, but a third series is being written! :D [face_dancing] Plus, there will be a Christmas Special this year - I'm quite excited about that. :D
  4. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Sigh. Lady Sybil and Lord Grantham have been hugely disappointing to me. It seems the only one of my favorite trio to emerge from this last episode with dignity intact is the Dowager Countess, who seems to get more awesome with each passing episode. She needs to knock sense into her son and granddaughter.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Apparently Spanish Flu will rampage through Downton Abbey in the series finale, I'm assuming some characters are going to die.

I was unimpressed by how quickly Matthew recovered from his condition (in TV terms anyway), it was a bit too unbelievablefor me. I don't see why Mary & Matthew have to be together. There is nothing wrong with Lavinia, she is loyal and caring and Matthew seems to like her, besides real life isn't so paerfect that everyone ends up with who they should be with. Matthew can be happy, the question is can Mary be happy...

And will the mysterious Patrick return? I can't believe he would only appear for one episode and then be removed.
  6. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I'm now officially missing Downton Abbey. Okay, there's the Christmas special, but if I presume that that will be the centerpiece of ITV's Christmas Day schedule it's still 48 days and 42 minutes [at the time I started writing this post] until I get to see it. And for the third series, inevitably commissioned by ITV, we have to wait ten months.

[face_frustrated]

Lord Grantham. I accept that it may have happened, a Lord taking a fancy to a maid, but it seemed so completely out of character for him to fall for Jane. I know that Cora was supposed to have been neglecting him but that only became clear when she apologised for neglecting him. The whole thing with Jane was just a clumsy route for him to realise that - as much as he and we all object to it - Sybil really does love Branson. Lord Grantham is an honourable, staid, dignified man - not someone who would fall for the first woman to throw herself at him. In the first series he was big on simply seeing Downton through his tenure as Lord... but now that good name seems all too close to flying out the nearest window. Keep it together, man. Remember what you kept telling Matthew on those long walks outside Downton, before the war. I am pleased you made up with Sybil, though. Right decision, despite it being a tough one.

Cora. Ah, Cora. I'll be honest, you've looked too thin this series. And you've been one of the characters without any real focus. I loved your spat with Isobel, but that was about as good as it got for you. I was beginning to wonder if she was a gonner last night, but I suppose that was never gonna happen. Lord and Lady need to become a team again next series. Not enough mentions of Cora "going all American", either. She deserves credit for finally identifying that Sybil has been misread by everyone, though.

Mary. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is stay with Sir Richard so long as it takes you to find some really dirty dirt on him. The kiss you shared with Matthew in the entrance hall was genuine, wonderful, and all the "this is the end" nonsense in the churchyard at the end cannot change that. You WILL be with Matthew, and that's all there is to it.

Edith. You're odd. Nothing to do last night, and a stream of peculiar liaisons this series. The farmer, that Officer who lost his arm... 'Patrick'. I hope that Fellowes knows where he's going with you because I sure as heck don't.

Sybil. You are, probably, a fool. I can see you working behind a bar somewhere in Dublin whilst Branson charges about the place looking for righteous cause after righteous cause. He comes home each evening, you smile and wonder how love dragged you so out of place. Still, love is. One cannot account for love, one cannot account for who one falls in love with. It does not answer to reason. It was at least nice to get some scenes between the pair of them not set in the garage, though.

Matthew. You're not fooling anyone. You didn't want to marry Lavinia. The relief on your face when she broke the news was only barely concealed. You over sold your disappointment. Now what you must do is sit tight, recover your full mobility and wait for Agent Lady Mary to complete her mission.

Isobel. My least favourite character this series. Constantly annoying, invasive of other people's space, nagging, and (bizarrely for such a fine actress as Penelope Wilton) particularly wooden. She's a character without a place, right now. *shrug*

Lavinia. Whilst I don't think she needed to die, she turned out to be a good person. She saw the truth between Mary and Matthew and couldn't stand in their way. Okay, when all's said and done she's a plot device and nothing more, designed to get in the way of destiny for a short time only (she's a Paolo).... but she won me over in the end.

Violet. "Don't be defeatist. It's very middle class." A better anything than anyone else. Perhaps under used this series, but a diamond every second she's on screen. I howled last night when - after all those people had been taken
  7. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I really don't know why should I bother writing anything about the last episode, because Everton already said everything for me. :p

Maybe I'll just add this:

Lavinia, I must admit I disliked you throughout this series, but you were revealed as a very noble person in the last hours of your life. Rest In Peace. @};-
  8. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I don't see how anyone can dislike Lavinia, she was always very kind and loving especially towards Matthew. Him staying with her out of some feeling of duty was not really right and it was clear by the end he felt some degree of responsibility for her death (even if dying of a broken heart is the biggest load of crock ever).

I want to see weird Patrick Gordon come back, he was interesting and appearing for part of one episode left so many questions. If he is the true heir, is he going to sit around and let Matthew take what is his?

Sir Richard seems to be kaing some sort of effort to be nice to Mary, even if he is a manipulative media man you can see he wants to at least try and make things work. It's not wrong to want to try and block out the thing that is interfering with your plans (Matthew in this case), I myself have and would do the same if I felt someone else was trying to muscle in on my woman.

I hope Fellowes will do something good with the ending of the show when the time comes, and I mean something besides the predictable Mary & Matthew happy ending (if indeed he does do that, I assume he will cave to public desire).
  9. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    But Matthew and Mary MUST have a happy ending together! How can they not have it? *righteous indignation*
  10. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Plenty of people don't, it doesn't have to be.
    And sometimes it can ruin a story, Andrew Lloyd Webber tried reversing the end of his version of Phantom of the Opera by making a sequel where he & Christine actually get together, and it was stupid and undermined the entire point of the whole thing. Pandering to what people want and what works are different things entirely.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Sybil is an idiot. I am utterly disappointed in her.
  12. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I have a strong feeling that she'll get burned pretty badly in Series 3... Maybe that will wake her up from her naive idealism.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    They've all gone mad. Everybody except for the dowager countess, who is an adornment to her class.
  14. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Plenty of people do not end up together, I know. But that does not mean Mary and Matthew should not end up together. A happy ending is not necessarily a bad ending.

The sequel to Phantom was just that, a sequel. The problem wasn't that Lloyd-Webber decided to get them together... the problem was that the sequel happened in the first place. The original musical is a fine piece of work and did not require a sequel (as so many things do not). The right ending was the one we got before the sequel had even been considered. And that's what it's all about... the right ending. Downton Abbey is not a tragedy, a morality play, a lecture or a lesson, and for as long as it takes Fellowes to arrive at the final episode it is one piece of work. Structurally, the right conclusion is definitely for Mary and Matthew to end up together. Their ongoing 'romance' is the backdrop onto which we get to see the lives of all the other characters tick by, it's our reason to be there. The story opened with them meeting, they have trials and tribulations over a few years and, once we have had our fill, they will 'close the deal' and we will leave them forever.

Phantom is suits the ending it has, and Downton Abbey suits the ending I hope it will get.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I honestly thought that the series would end with the Crawley family utterly destitute and torn apart, as a sign of the new world and all that. I was surprised to see Matthew survive, much less recover at all.
  16. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Maybe the Crawley family will suffer, but personally I doubt it. At least not to a great degree. This is Sunday night television. We'll certainly leave Downton in a different state to which we found it, but Matthew and Mary will come out fine.
  17. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    btw shamelessly, blatantly re-watching series one again. Lord Grantham's just smacked down Matthew's request to get rid of Molesley.
  18. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I loved that. [face_love]
  19. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I found out today at work today that the year before I joined (so that would be 2006) the company Christmas Party was held at Downton.
  20. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
  21. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I'm watching the commentaries from series one.

And eh. We must use this chance to cement support for the aristocracy and restore the House of Peers to its proper place. This can't be done unless the public are in agony over the fate of the Crawleys.

Is in agony, rather. See what your country's infernal use of language has done? :p
  22. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Abbey belongs on page 1.
  23. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Speaking of Downton. It's a little over a week until the TWO HOUR Christmas Special!
  24. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Saw a segment from... Daybreak? The other day, where the interviewer asks Thomas and O'Brien (unrecognizable when not in period dress and hair!) if the Christmas Special is the best Christmas present they can think of and Thomas says "Not if you're a Doctor Who fan."
  25. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Two hours? Incredible!