main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is Anakin's true fault, arrogance or being anxious to prove himself????

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ValinFett21, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    One fault that I have seen in the PT is that Anakin's fault in becoming a Jedi is his arrogance. I disagree.

It would be hard for a kid who hasn't seen his mother in ten years to be arrogant. Anakin is like any other kid trying to prove himself as an adult, he is anxious. That causes his aggression.
    Obi-Wan has trouble with him because Anakin doesn't want to realize that there is more to being a Jedi than going around and stopping bad guys. There are responsibilities that come with being a Jedi but Anakin has trouble with this because he is too busy looking for ways to prove himself to everyone, his mother, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and definitely Padme.

Any thoughts?

2. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Anakin was a show-off, which I think contains elements of arrogance and anxiousness to prove himself. He dug the podrace crowd. Vader dug having an audience when he did his Force-choke magic tricks. I dunno, I just think Anakin got deluded by his own power.

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I'm with Meta. When Anakin admits to Padme that he's more powerful than Obi-Wan he is showing his arrogance. He definately does try to show off, but his downfall, I feel, has more to do with his arrogance than his eagerness.

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I think his main flaw, the one that mostly brings about his downfall, is his inability to let go. He refuses to accept change, death, and the like, so as a result he supports an authoritarian, and therefore static and rigid government, rather than the loose and dynamic Republic. He refuses to let go of his mother, which results in misplaced blame and anger. I believe his fall in Episode III will involve Padme, and his inability to let go there in some way. But I also think that arrogance plays a major part as well.

5. SithRuler77

SithRuler77 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2003
    i think he was just mis understood....that council wasnt ready for him

6. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I think he was arrogant, it would be hard not to be if you knew you were the "choosen one", trust me it is something I deal with daily. 8-}

Anakin also had many other character flaws such as holding on to the past, lack of patience, being impulsive, not to mention his little problem with lust.

It comes down to Anakin feeling that he knows more than the rest of the Jedi on or off the council, and that is due to the manipulations of Palpatine.

7. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    I do agree with Darth-Despicable, Palpatine plays a huge role in Anakins life.

After being taken away from his mother and Qui-Gon, two of his earliest believers, Palpatine steps in to fill a large void in Anakin's life, more so than Obi-wan. It is here where his arrogance is truly rooted. Palpatine feeds it and it will just get worse after his mother's death.

8. Matt-Firespace

Matt-Firespace Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2003
    I agree with Valin,

Anakin is a troubled youth, former slave, with great power, guilt with leaving his mother, a teacher that needs to realize kids are kids not robots. Thorw a tease such as Padme in the mix... I wouldn't be surpized to see Anakin go off large in Ep. III.

9. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    i think he was just mis understood....that gay council wasnt ready for him

I wasn't aware that any of the council members were homosexual (or the alien equivalent). Or did you mean that they were just a really happy bunch of Jedi?

I think Anakins downfall will be his unwillingness to distance himself from his emotional attachments. His attachemnet to his mother lead to the Tusken incident, and his felings for Padme will be his downfall.

What this says about GL i'm not sure. That people shouldn't have an attachment to their mother?

10. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Anakin has many faults/flaws, all of which we as human beings are privy to.

His inability to let go is one. His immaturity at not realising that the world has to move on, that people die and that its not the end of the world contribute to what we see with his mother.

Arrogance comes to play but I blame Palpatine for that arrogance. Because Palpatine has been putting words into Anakin's head. PLaying tricks on him and making him think he was better than he really was, thinking that he didn't have anything else to learn when in fact he had alot to learn.

His other flaw, which we all have have, is his inability to control his emotions.
    Its a dangerous concoction when you put this with his inability to let go, and as I mentioned earlier its the death of his mother than brings the two bang on.
    As a young, immature, man he lacks the control because he goes through extremes in his emotions. I myself struggle with this very issue and I can see this as glaringly obvious as I can see the sun in the sky.
    Its funny that when he been defeated by Luke in ROTJ and is essentially numbed out when he watches Palpatine nearly kill his son that he does the right thing.
    Without realising it he quietened his mind and balanced his own emotions, enabling him to do what he came to understand was his mission all along.

11. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Pride. That sums it all up.

His pride causes him to focus on himself in all situations. Sometimes it causes arrogance, other times it causes selfishness, and still other times it causes self-pity.

It can all be traced back to his pride.

12. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I don't think his arrogance is his key fault. It's his inability to let go and move on. He can't let go of his mother - and that's his first step to the darkside. He can't let go of his dreams about her; he finally gives in to temptation and goes to find her, and when he finds her dying, he goes into a rage and can't accept she's gone; the only thing on his mind is to the find the people who "took" her from him and make them pay for taking her so violently. He doesn't even "wake up" and see what he's doing until he's slaughtered them all.

He can't let go of his Jedi training or Padme. He has to choose between the two; it's pretty well established that he can't have both. But Anakin won't accept that he either has to give up Padme to become a Jedi (since Jedi can't have attachments) or give up becoming a Jedi to have Padme, and as a result, he loses both.

I don't find him particularily that arrogant; I find him a bit of a show-off and suffering from a teenage phase (and most teenagers go through the "I'm soo much smarter than my parents" phase; to me it makes sense that teenage Jedi would go through the "I'm soo much more powerful than my master" phase), but I don't think Anakin is more arrogant that the rest of the Jedi.

13. DarthTenebrous

DarthTenebrous Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2003
    Anakin's major fault is his deriliction of his oath as a Jedi. His inability to control his emotions is clearly his undoing. For example; his forbidden love affair with Padme', his emotionally driven rage and subsequent slaughter at the Tusken Raider camp. Anakin is too emotionally insecure to follow the mandates of a Jedi...this has been a common thread throughout all five films thusfar...an inability to control emotions leads down the path to the dark side. DIE JEDI SCUM!

14. DarthSon

DarthSon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2000
    It's a mixture of both. Anakin does have something to prove. The jedi rejected him, and his own master accepted him as a padawan out of obligation to Qui-gon, not because he felt he should be trained. So Anakin is always trying to show that he deserves to be there. His arrogance and attachments are part of the problem too.

15. young_paddy1

young_paddy1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    He's an arrogant little bung hole, (case in point) "No I'm takin' him now" schwoom "Oh bugger me where's me 'and"

16. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    One of Anakin's faults IMO is that he arrogant enough to think he can control everything in his life. He wants to have enough power to stop things for changing. I think that is his biggest fault that triggers all these other behavoirs we see when he becomes Darth Vader.

17. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I agree that one of his core flaws is that he can't let go or let the world go on after he lost something he cared about.

As for Arrogance or anxiousness to prove himself I'd say both are some of his most readibly identifiable foibles.

But I'd say his main problem is that he gets attached too easily, to his mother, to Qui-gonn, to Padme, to Palpatine, and to Obi-wan...he wears his heart on his sleeve as the saying goes-this makes him very passionate but also very vulnerable to emotional trauma.
    I think he's a good example of the reason the Jedi forbid emotional attachment as ignorant as a rule that is...(Jedi are jedi, true, but they're also living sentient beings-asking them to live without forming attachments is like asking Jar Jar not to be clumsy-it will just happen time and time again.)

18. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I believe he had no faults at the time of TPM, except maybe for some anger at being a slave, and who could blame the kid. He WAS just a kid and a lot of his behavior simply reflects the age.

By the time of AoTC, I think his greatest fault was plain ol' immaturity. Much of Anakin's dialogue (including the rediculous "My heart burns for you" speech) to me sound like the words of the angry slave boy -- he has not matured emotionally and mentally at all in the 10 years with Obi-Wan. He's like a kid who found his dad's gun -- the kid now has great power in his hand, but he hasn't developed the respect for the power or the sense to tame his use of it. Then when others attempt to keep him in check and teach him that respect, he resists it.

This is a common Developmental Psychology condition, but I can't remember the name for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.