main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is best for the GALAXY?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by darth-sinister, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PADMELUVA

PADMELUVA Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    "I think really the government and the Jedi needed to be purged, so that when the Sith were finally defeated, the Galaxy could start over."

the jedi certainly werent corrupt as the senate was, outdated yes, but they did not need a good "backstabbing" to improve themselves.

and the jedi werent going to "purge" the senate, they were jsut going to remove corrupt politicans, that they could prove of the corruption.

2. PADMELUVA

Nov 20, 2004

"Doesn't Anakin tell Obi-Wan that it is the Senate who have voted to keep him in that long? So yes, the senate may be corrupt - But I would say it is more to blame on the actual procedures within the Senate. It wouldn't surprise me if the Jedi did take over the senate and manipulated for thier own needs not to disimilar to Palpatine - I can just imagine Mace doing his Jedi Mind Trick on Jar Jar... "The Jedi are taking over"

seriously...why do you have it out for the jedi?

where do they ever show that they want to rule, or are easily corrupted? the jedi protect, and only seek to govern themselves, not the galaxy.

serioulsly, show me some evidence that could lead to the jedi becoming drunk on power...and not just personal bias and hearsay.

3. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    would love to see mon mothma as supreme chancellor, though it is unlikly that because she was new to the senate, and very young, she wouldbt have been elected.

my money is on bail organa

Ever stop to think that the non-corrupt senators may elect Jar-Jar as supreme chancellor ?? :p

and it wasnt a coup in the purest sense of the word. they werent doing it against a legitimate leader...they were doing it against a leader who had manipulated both sides of a war.

We know that, but at that point in the movie (or even ever), the Jedi didnt. So the motive was against a legitimate leader.

4. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    But I would say it is more to blame on the actual procedures within the Senate.

Well, remember what Palpatine said to Gunray in Episode I.

"My lord, is that legal?"

"I will make it legal."

I think the corruption is the cause of Palpatine manipulating the senate to his own ends.

5. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Conan, what is best for the Galaxy?

Conan, "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

6. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Earlier I posted 1. But, that could not happen. If it had, Mace would have been the Chosen One. Given the choices, I pick 4--since in the end Anakin does save the galaxy. Not that things had to be that way. Anakin had 2 chances to kill Palps before giving into the dark side. If Anakin had killed Palps and we had scenarios 2 or 3, the GFFA would have been much worse.

7. swatoa

swatoa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2005
    4. I come from soviet russia - I like strong leader.

8. Lixsta

Lixsta Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    4# because we know how that ends..Nothing wrong with Empires. The Roman Empire was good, the Napoleonic Empire was a big factor for democracy today...British Empire made the world a little more civilized.Yeah yeah i know Palps was evil but some are implying that Empires are bad, it has weaknesses yes but so does every other political system

5# is a good option also

choice 1#, which the jedi tried to do, has very dangerous consequences. Still have to deal with Anakin eventually and its not going to be easy cleaning out the senate, Jedi would have to rule with an Iron Fist to fix the senate and that is the path to the darkside. Also have to add that 1# cannot happen because Anakin's destiny is to become a Sith and destroy them

9. deadeye_jedi

deadeye_jedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2005
    I cannot believe so many people choose 1.

This is undemocratic, noone should be given emergency powers (we know what happens). The senate was corrupt yes, but that's democracy.

The answer is clearly 5, the jedi (guardians of the republic) destroy the sith (the threat to the republic) and everything should go on how it was.

A lot of the reason for the corruption in the senate was the fact that thousands of senators were under the influence of a dark lord.

Now the senate is clearly not perfect but it's not for the jedi to take control. who are they to tell other systems which senators should be appointed. that is appaling. that is definitely a path to the dark side.

i implore everyone to think twice about voting number 1 on this thread. think carefully, number 1 is the quicker path, more seductive. you can't have the quick fix. you have to be prepared to work hard and long to achieve a fair and just republic.

lets follow number 1 further. after the jedi kill the sith, then they take over the galaxy as a temporary measure. then apparently they dissolve the senate and appoint new senators? how does that work? what makes them think they will be any different than the other ones? and if they are not up to scratch either, then do the jedi take over agin to fix it again?

people! please vote 5, im sure its not too late to change your vote. 1 is a path to the dark side.

10. JediMasterGaraceDane

JediMasterGaraceDane Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Well me personally i think option #1 is best. But there is much contraversy in it as well as flaws.....

If Mace would have killed Palps and dealing with the clone war chaos Mace might have, MIGHT have turned away from the Jedi order and as he himself has a dark sith lightsaber tech. he could have become the new Sithlord from many reasons as above. Though these reasons can be countered very easily. Thus my wording of MIGHT.

Two, with Mace and other jedi replacing Senators that were influenced by the Sithlord they wouldnt help democracy they would be working against it. They are popular voted in Senators let the people decide who should go. And not have the Jedi intervein and replace the "bad" Senators with "good" ones. With the Sith gone, the influence is gone so they probably would go back. Remember what Obi-Wan said "The council doesnt like when the chancellor interferes with jedi affairs." It would be going against their own words and ideals to do this. The only thing they should be there for is to maintain peace and order with the clones for a peacful vote on the next supreme Chancellor this time with a super majority and 2 year term lol....

ALl of the other reasons have to much contraversy and are just insane, sure it would be cool to see but the topic is what is BEST for the GALAXY, the other options are in no way BEST for the GALAXY.

11. SearchYourFeelings

SearchYourFeelings Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2005
    Look at history guys.
    Before the Emperor took over the galaxy was organized politically in a similar matter as Iran is today. A republic with an elected parlament and president + a special independent, non-political (like the Jedi council). The main role of this council is to make sure that certain moral and political principles are maintained in the society. The system seems in theory perfect however in practice as you can see in Iran it does not work, most political and council members are a bunch of hypocrites. Actually Persia has always been more successfull as an empire, as an elitistic society, and not as a republic( or something that resembles democracy).
    Its the same story with the Roman empire,France under Napoleon, Nazi Germany, Soviet Union under Stalin,.. etc. Democracy is if you like it or not a difficult way to rule, you have to take into consideration everybodys opinion and this slows down the decision process.
    So yes I think the Galaxy under the Emperor is definitely more efficient that a republic with a huge bureaucracy, an inefficient parlament and a morally inconsistent Jedi Council. But I still like the idea of a republic.

12. deadeye_jedi

deadeye_jedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2005
    OK, can anyone seriously tell me how Option 1 is going to work? I want a good reason why the galaxy should relinquish democracy to replace one bunch of senators with another. Like i want detail. It sounds great, like the jedi destroying the sith, taking over, appointing new senators, relinquishing their power and everything will be rosy! But at best if it works, you will be starting a new so-called democracy under undemocratic principles.

I cant believe how many people are happy to compromise democracy. I am appalled! [face_shame_on_you]

"So this is the sound of liberty dying.....with thunderous applause!!"

13. SearchYourFeelings

SearchYourFeelings Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2005
    Deadeye_Jedi,

That depends on the definitiion of democracy. In ancient roman democracy the senate could in emergency situations and for a limited timeperiod appoint a "dictator" somebody from among the senators who would get absolute power and could rule by "dictates", that is laws taken without approvement from the senate.
    I am not sure if this how the galactic republic worked. However without the rebellion Palps could not stay in power for as long as he did. The Jedis role was to remove those that are putting the republican political system in danger. Even if they had strong suspicion about him they could not prove anything and Palps knew that.

14. MasterMak55

MasterMak55 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2005
    You're kidding right? I suppose you'd support Imperial troops slaughtering the uncivlized backward Jawas for their primitve behaviour... Bravo!

15. PADMELUVA

Nov 20, 2004
    "so yes I think the Galaxy under the Emperor is definitely more efficient that a republic with a huge bureaucracy, an inefficient parlament and a morally inconsistent Jedi Council. But I still like the idea of a republic."

efficient? yes....at seeing through with its own agenda's. the empire does not work for the betterment of the people, although palpatine tries to convince the senate that it will. the empire is efficeient at enslaving the people with fear, and crushing personal freedoms. it is efficient at silencing the voice of the people (imperial senate) and maintaing order through fear, and discouraging dissention with armies and squads of star destroyers.

and to those who disagree so passionatly with number one:

there is no evidence to support the theory that the jedi would become evil tyrants and hold on to their power indefinitly. now alot of people use yoda's quote to defend such an assertion, but i interpret it differently.

"to a dark place this will take us"

yoda isnt saying temporarily presiding over the republic is the dark path, he is saying that the jedi could be VIEWED as traitors and tyrnats, for undertaking such a move. its obvious yoda doesn't want to remove the chancellor (because of what the jedi council would have to do, take over the senate temporarily) UNLESS its is absolutly necessary. he doesnt want the jedi to make such a drastic move, not because he fears they will become tyrants, but because he fears they may be viewed as traitors. he knew such a move could be used against them by an ambitious politician, to make them seem like rebels. although they weren't trying to take over, this is exactly what happend, the jedi were branded as traitors when infact all they wre trying to do, was save the republic from a soon to be tyrant. the dark place was being branded traitors, not the darkside itself.

and the jedi wouldnt be ousting senators, to me i interpret ki adi's and mace's comments to mean they will find senators guilty of corruption, which means the senate would ahve no choice but to excuse them and vote in new delegates.

to me its a good thing, because the jedi are finally cleansing out the senate, within the confines of the law.

16. DDRmaster101

DDRmaster101 Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Skywalker dynasty would be awesome I choose number 3

17. Lixsta

May 21, 2005

You're kidding right? I suppose you'd support Imperial troops slaughtering the uncivlized backward Jawas for their primitve behaviour... Bravo!

Jawas werent part of the empire

18. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "the jedi had anakin's verbal testimony that palpatine was a sith. THE sith that they knew was in charge of the separatists. hence they knew the whole war was engineered by palpatine."

Dictating politics based on the religion of a leader is fairly intolerant, don't you think? And so what if he engineered the whole war?

"puppet regime? where in the movie does it say mace and the gang want control of the republic, indefinitly. they are going to oversee the election of new leaders, to keep the republic collapsing in chaos."

Funny, they'd do a pretty bad job keeping the Republic stable by overthrowing its elected leaders. The Jedi hoped to depose Palpatine, and "oversee" elections so that one more compliant to their wishes was installed. Notice how they ignore the authority of the Chancellor? They're a vigilante police force that's above the law.

You think they would have allowed most of the Senators loyal to Palpatine to remain in office?

"and it wasnt a coup in the purest sense of the word. they werent doing it against a legitimate leader...they were doing it against a leader who had manipulated both sides of a war."

Actually, it was an armed attempt to overthrow the legitimate leader of the Republic. Palpatine is the legal leader of the Republic, elected into office and through all proper channels and procedures.

"and the fact that palpatine is already building a death star that he knows he WILL USE TO FRIGHTEN HIS OWN PEOPLE goes to show that tyranny is his policy of choice."

Hardly. The Death Star is a means of massive retaliation so that the Empire will no longer need to maintain vast fleets of planet destroying Star Destroyers. I'd rather have a single giant planet destroying battlestation in my galaxy over 25,000 planet-surface destroying battleships any day.

19. Lixsta

May 21, 2005
    "and the fact that palpatine is already building a death star that he knows he WILL USE TO FRIGHTEN HIS OWN PEOPLE goes to show that tyranny is his policy of choice."

The Roman Empire had worse Emperors and Dictators that make Palpatine look like a Saint. Is the Roman Empire looked upon as evil overtime. No.

20. PADMELUVA

Nov 20, 2004
    "Dictating politics based on the religion of a leader is fairly intolerant, don't you think? And so what if he engineered the whole war?"

perhaps there in lies the difference between you and i. you cant get beyond your obsession with palpatine.

you honestly dont see a problem with palpatine manipulating a war to consolidate more power for himself? he knowingly put his own people at risk for invasion and destrucion, all so he could become a dictator.

21. PADMELUVA

Nov 20, 2004
    "The Roman Empire had worse Emperors and Dictators that make Palpatine look like a Saint. Is the Roman Empire looked upon as evil overtime. No."

but the galactic empire had only one ruler, so thus it can be judged by that one leader.

palpatine enslaves the people with fear. he creates a police state where dissenting voices are silenced. sure it makes for peace...but at what cost?

the people are entitled to the rights that they deem natural and necessary, and apparently, they deem having a democracy as necessary. they deem not being fearful of their leader necessary. and most of all, they want to be able to enjoy certain freedoms and liberties that they once had, but have now been taken away from them.

22. PADMELUVA

Nov 20, 2004
    ""the jedi had anakin's verbal testimony that palpatine was a sith. THE sith that they knew was in charge of the separatists. hence they knew the whole war was engineered by palpatine."

Dictating politics based on the religion of a leader is fairly intolerant, don't you think? And so what if he engineered the whole war?"

you completly missed the point of my comment...its not about him being a sith, its about him being a traitor. they know he is sidious, and they know sidious was giving dooku orders, hence they know he is a traitor.

23. Lixsta

May 21, 2005
    "The Roman Empire had worse Emperors and Dictators that make Palpatine look like a Saint. Is the Roman Empire looked upon as evil overtime. No."

but the galactic empire had only one ruler, so thus it can be judged by that one leader.

What are you talking about the Roman Empire had hundreds of Emperors or "Rulers", doesnt really matter how you term it they are the same thing

24. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "you honestly dont see a problem with palpatine manipulating a war to consolidate more power for himself? he knowingly put his own people at risk for invasion and destrucion, all so he could become a dictator."

Regardless of who was in power, there would have been a war. Palpatine took the chance to take as much power away (legally, mind you) from a blunderingly corrupt, incompetent, and ineffective system of government that had been stagnating for hundreds of years with an uncontrolable secret police force of superhuman mystics.

25. PADMELUVA

Nov 20, 2004
    they werent a secret police

"the senate will decide your fate"

so you see, it wasnt a coup in the sense that they were trying to overthrow him...they were going to punnish him according to the word of the law. and you can bet, that had the senate found out that he was a traitor, and was ultimatly responsible for the whole war, they would have punnished him. he was going to be tried for crimes against the republic.

and yes i agree, the republic was ineffective...but how is tyranny any better? and dont even try to argue that it was a benevolent dictatorship that works for the betterment of the people. if palpatine was willing to sacrifice countless millions in a war to solidify power, then you can bet he was willing to sacrfice countless more in order to keep that power. he worked for the betterment of himself and his regional governor cronies.

"fear will keep the local systems in line"

it is strongly implied that the empire is also an elitist regime, where its military, the power holding department, is made up entirly of humans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.