main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What is God Trying to Tell California?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Jan 9, 2018.

1. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    The drought was about the gay stuff the floods are about the weed stuff.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I shudder to think what shielding undocumented immigrants will bring the state.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So question... from what I can find on the Googles, California does very little back burning? Or, what I think you call controlled burning?

Is this true?

5. a star war

May 4, 2016
    From what google is telling me, this is true.

Can anyone confirm?

heels1785 likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    As a resident of California, I can confirm it is true. California is not in the practice of having controlled burning. Why? The are numerous reasons that mostly involve environmental considerations. I mean, anytime there's a new land development that always has to be an environmental impact study. In short, California is too environmentally conscious (taking in ecosystems, wild life, air pollution, etc. into account before anything) to burn down trees for safety.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    And California is too populous not to build homes in all the wrong places, exposing more and more people to wildfires and mudslides.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, the more desirable areas are too populous, like the Silicon Valley which is why home prices average around $1 million for a 3 bedroom house built in the 1960s. Not many Californians live in the most expansive and flat area of the state which is the Central Valley (the land between the coastal hills and Sierra Mountains) as it's mostly used for farm land and if not, looks like the Arizona desert. Moreover, there are not many well paying jobs in the Central Valley so people commute hours one way to the Bay Area for work. So more and more homes are built on the hills closer to the coast than inland.

So far, there hasn't been any massive mudslides this season, at least in Northern California. From what I could tell, most of the people the suffered from the wild fires in the Napa wine region are more fearful of toxic ash and materials flowing into the drains and sewage system.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So you're idiots, in other words?

Far be it for me to suggest, as a country that's enveloped in fire most years, that controlled burning will make it easier and actually reduce the pollutants released. Just keep watching California smoulder and say "well at least we stopped the smoke from going into the air that earlier time, thus still dumping the same net total of carbon and stuff into the atmosphere but in one giant go instead of in controlled stages and with minimal loss of life and property."

To answer the OP's question, I think the message is "DO CONTROLLED BURNING YOU UTTER PILLOCKS".

SuperWatto and bluealien1 like this.
  10. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    "I hate oranges"

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you see the above comments? They don't backburn in California. They just sit there bewildered each year when their cities are on fire going 'if ONLY one could prevent this'.

Like with say, spiralling health insurance costs or gun crimes, they're just so confused as to solutions available to them.

DebonaireNerd likes this.
  12. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    but how are we going to cool the rest of the earth if we don't put up enough debris in the air?

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Cities are NOT on fire.

As far as controlled burning in California as a preventative measure, it's not so simple to implement as I noted above there are environmental considerations (i.e. wild life, ecosystems, pollution, protected land) to consider as well as what jurisdiction of responsibility would these control burns would fall under; local, state or federal or even privately owned.

California does have laws that require homes and buildings built in fire dangers areas to have a protective perimeter around the structure to help prevent going up in flames in case of a wild fire. The problem is the high winds that spread the fire miles away. So even if there were protective controlled burns, any wild fire could spread beyond the controlled burn protective areas into urban areas as the Santa Ana winds could carry burning .

BTW, firefighters do employ controlled burning or back burning when battling wild fires as in the cases of the huge fires in 2017. Again, the problem was the wind blowing the fire over those fire lines.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I wouldn't trust SSP on this. He looks guilty to me.

[​IMG]

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You're right, what could Australians know about bushfires. California's got this covered. Environmental considerations which are meaningful prevent backburning, and can be employed to chastise the fire when it disregards them by devastating the environment anyway.

Controlled burning when the fire has started is sensible and not at all like closing a gate after a horse has bolted.

California's got such good policy ideas. It's a great place. So wise. So intelligent.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Also it looks like a lot of US states do controlled burning for both ecological reasons (it's very good at restoring ecological balance) as well as to prevent forest fires. So basically California is the exception; lots of juicy, oily eucalytps and idiots in charge.

lol @ California.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wait until God comes across gay people smoking weed.

Juliet316 and Ender Sai like this.
  18. a star war

May 4, 2016
    He's saving the San Andreas Fault for that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  20. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Oh come on, the movie wasn't great but I wouldn't call it a punishment from God either....

MrZAP and PCCViking like this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It seems the reason why California doesn't do that much controlled-burning is because the millionaires who live nearby don't approve of it... and that's why when you heard about the bad wildfires, the areas most affected tend to be near the rich neighborhoods.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

Hey now, we have something better than controlled burns, we have a fictional bear to prevent forest fires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah it's more of a definitive demonstration that no loving god can possibly exist.