Tucson What is Hyperspace and does it really exist?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Aug 11, 2007.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. Vangarian Force Ghost

star 4
    Our new topic of Science/Sci-Fi is Hyperspace. This is not exactly the same as Hyperdrive but rather deals with just what exactly is the environment of Hyperspace. Any takers? I'll shut up for a change and let you guys wade in first. LOL

Vangarian/John
  2. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'll bite.

That is the one thing that I've never really understood about the Star Wars Universe. I was never really clear on what it was, whether it was an alternate dimension only reached by going faster than light, or just a term used for when you are going faster than the speed of light, I have no clue. I guess that it's probably the latter, because in Hyperspace, you can still 'fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova'. It ain't like dusting crops.
  3. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Hyperspace is usually associated with a speed faster than light or "warp"
    personally if such an advance would have been achieved I feel they would just be able to teleport there or something similair to "Event Horizon" were you could actually simply fold space. Something also similair would be worm holes or tears in the space time continium.

I would have to say that if "hyperspace" were another dimension of "normal sapce" I would say it woul be more like folding space and traveling from one point to another without actually maving or spending time in "normal space"

This theory can also easily lead into time travel as of late I have been seriously obsessing about that as well. If you were to travel west in earths atmosphere at a speed faster than light would you actually travel back in time?
  4. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I've always understood it (from reading Clark) as going into a parallel dimension right next to you own dimension (or parallel universe) and at the same time folding space. In the alternate universe faster than light travel and time are not the same thus the ship and its inhabitants are not affected by those things when they do re-enter "real or normal" space. So you don?t need FTL engines (faster than light) but the ability to reach hyperspace. So hyperspace is a name of a place or form of being.
  5. Vangarian Force Ghost

star 4
    You mean like Superman when he goes back in time, such as when he went to save Lois Lane's life? I often wondered about the mechanics involved with that particular scene. He was traveling Super Fast, that's for sure. I don't think he was necessarily traveling in Hyperspace though. What are your thoughts on that?
  6. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Yes Vangarian! Hyperspace *DOES* exist! And for a small fee to the Buy George Lucas an island fund you can be in Hyperspace too!

:p ;)

I've never tackled the actual subject but with a "punchline" like this available to me I couldn't resist.

stops posting offtopic [face_mischief]
  7. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    You would BURN UP from the friction of being in the Earth's atmosphere long before you ever reached the speed of light.

And, Chris, why are you the CR of the T-U-S-C-O-N fan force?:confused:
  8. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I have asked for it to be changed....sigh

Superman went into the earths core and spun the core backwards or at least that was supposed to be the idea. Star Trek 4 they went backwards around the sun.

9. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Just a side note (not to get off topic). Gene Rodenberry stated that in the Star Trek universe they re to never have a galactic war or time travel (note: closest he got was the original series). When he died they almost immediately did both the DS9 dominion war and ST: 4?s time travel. I?ve always found that interesting.
  10. Vangarian Force Ghost

star 4
    An interesting tidbit of info. Now, back to Hyperspace. What makes it what it is? Is it the multidimensional aspect of Quantum Physics? For instance, there was supposed to be five candidates for the universal Quantum Equation. Recently I heard that the math equations were narrowed down to two and finally one equation. I believe this equation had eleven dimensions embedded in it. If we then have access to eleven dimensions...what would Hyperspace be like? Anyone care to take a bite on that one? Chris? Damian? thatsMISTERwookie? Jada? [face_worried] [face_hypnotized] [face_laugh]
  11. Mugen Jedi Master

star 4
    It would be nice if it did exist. Thats all I can say about that...

Now, Wormholes... Wormholes DO exist...Dustin, Brian and I found one somewhere near 44th/46th and Ray in Phoenix. We took a short cut which was just a left and right, when we should have made a right then left..and ended up coming out 5 miles from where we should have...wierd! :eek:
  12. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Theory states it should be empty (Hyperspace or specifically the part of space between dimension or parallel universes). But Lucas version stated it was the same as normal space (... "fly to close to a super nova"). personally I think it is the part of space your in when you fold space itself. Hyper refering to the speed you can acheve (relative to distance) when folding space(warp).
  13. Vangarian Force Ghost

star 4
    Then it would be safe to say that the term "Hyperspace" is just another word for Wormhole or perhaps "Crunched Space" where the distance has been greatly reduced by tunneling through normal space. I wonder how the crunching would be achieved? (There is a reason why I'm asking you guys this series of questions. It relates to the present RPG adventure arc dealing with the jump gates and compounding it with an activated Hyperdrive.) At any rate, your answers help me to be a better GM. So please continue. Please!! [face_praying] [face_hypnotized]:-B =P~ 8-}
  14. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    What little I know of hyperspace comes from sci-fi series and movies, with maybe a dash of Nova and the Science Channel for flavor. So please bear that in mind when I try to wade in on this.

Hyperspace would not be a Wormhole. A wormhole has a starting point and an ending point. Based solely on a Babylon 5 episode, it is possible to get lost in hyperspace. They had jumpgates at the beginning and end of their hyperspace jumps, but if you deviated at all from your flightplan you would miss your end-jumpgate and there was no guarrantee of finding ANY jumpgate to exit from.
  15. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Bab5 used jump gates, Farscape used worm holes, Star Trek used warp engines and worm holes, Star Wars used Lightspeed engines (that apparently brought you into hyperspace), Stargate used the stargates (to make wormholes), Dune used spice via the navagators to fold space, Battlestar Galactica uses FTL drives but never stated they go into any sort of hyperspace, Sliders used gates to traverse wormholes, Contact (Segan) used wormholes, Dr Who's T.A.R.D.I.S uses wormholes, Andromedia (Roddenberry) used Slipstream drives to open wormholes, Clark used the concept in 2001, Asomiv used hyperspace in foundation series, and lets not forget the Vorlons needed to make a hyperspace bypass in "hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy". Anime uses the comcept but uses it in a whole new way.

In all examples used it's empty or a tube of emptyness unless others are using the same path. Basically Star trek explained the concept of folding space best (or using worm holes, basically same concept) as it creates a static worp field around the ship and the outside space gets folded as the inside of the worp field stays in static space or keeps it's normal time.
  16. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm gonns have to go with GL on this one, I think it makes perfect sense that Hyperspace is not a place, but rather just the word that represents going FTL.

It fits in with the 'very controversial' "Kessel Run in less than 9 Parsects", that you are just going through space at a super fast speed.

At least in Star Wars, this has to be the case, because if you were using wormholes, transporting, or going thru alternate dimensions, you couldn't fly too close to a supernova. Plus, the Empire used those big ships that could be positioned at some place on a Hyperspace route that could actually bring a ship in Hyperspace back to normal space, by activating an emergency thingie in the hyperdrive that detected a large body of gravity and stopped. Don't remember what those things are called, but I think that provides a definite answer to the question of Hyperspace, at least in the Star Wars Universe. It goes against all laws that Einstein ever 'discovered', but as with most things in these movies, we are just gonna have to pretend that it all makes sense, there are no contradictions, and to forget anything else that says otherwise (Boba Fett getting eaten and buped out, Darth Maul getting cut in half, Leia remembering her mother, Obi-wan calling DV "Darth", Palpatine getting the shaft, and Luke screaming when he falls through Cloud City, ETC.)

As for all of the other discussions (that should be on a different BOARD!!!), I don't know what to tell you.
  17. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    It never even occured 2 me to look it up.....

here is Wookieepedia's take on it.....
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperspace

The Force.net's info......
    http://www.theforce.net/swtc/hyperspace.html
  18. 14of3amberofborg Jedi Knight

star 1
    <------- Scared that there is actually a place to "look" this up....:oops:
  19. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Just remember Buffy (and Firefly) has the same amount of nit-picking information and databases, cosplay, actionfigures, fan fiction, comics, fan websites, books, animated version, Joss Whedon conventions, spinoffs, etc. Is it really that different?[face_whistling]
  20. 14of3amberofborg Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nope not that different...
    whats your point??
  21. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    That is no so "scary" after all.
  22. Vangarian Force Ghost

star 4
    Those thingies (Ships) were called Interdictors. The devices within them were called Gravity Well Generators. FYI. :D

23. padumavati Jedi Knight

star 1
    As an en-ga-neer I feel obliged to link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace_(science_fiction)

P.S. http://www.amazon.com/Universe-Nutshell-Stephen-William-Hawking/dp/055380202X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-6456355-4377743?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187232490&sr=8-2

My hero. <3
  24. Vangarian Force Ghost

star 4
    For the sake of continuity in my RPG Universe. I will dictate the following definition for Hyperspace. It is a higher state of energy density immediatly surrounding the ship or ships. It increases the atomic activity of ships, materials, and personnel within the field. It increases the apparent passage of time within the field, relative to outside of the field. It requires a three axis EM coil allignment for large and/or elongated starships. Smaller ships of a more round or spherical shape use a compound Torus/Circuferencial set of windings around the ship's circumference. Ok back to HYPERSPACE. Hyper, as in hyperactive. Space as in the area surrounding the ship's hull. It is not a large region necessarily though I suppose it could be a parallel universe that co-exists with normal space on a higher energy density level. Since Stars and Novas are higher in the energy density department, it stands to reason that they would also simultaneously exist in Hyperspace too. Thus the danger of hitting them while traversing HyperSpace.

Does anyone else have something to add to this, as far as statements, on this marvelous topic?
  25. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I would also say that it needs an 8 point (or higher 27 points being highest) of area to "jump" much like your alignment but more complex.

Again a personal opinion here I always imagined a ship that could make "jumps" (something similair to nightwalker in x-men2) would use some type of cameras and would use those same camers to define points of area to make jumps but this would be more close range battlefield type jumps.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby