main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What is it called when two (or more) sentences are combined by a single word?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Randwulf Crescentmoon, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    What is it called when two (or more) sentences are combined by a single word?

Example: "Take my hand me the ketchup".

I came across a two term definition for this (I think it was two terms from what I remember, anyway) when I was doing research for a story, so I saved it on a cd, and unfortunately it broke. I've been trying to find the word(s) to describe it, so that I can research more examples on Google, and get a better understanding of how to best go about forming sentences based on that sentence structure, but I just came across one other site that made reference to the above question and provided only that one example above. The two answers that person received weren't what I was looking for, though, as the responses said it was a compound sentence or truncation, but there was definitely a more specific term for it. Does anyone happen to know what that term(s) is? Thanks.

The only thing I seem to recall was that there might have been an 'oi' somewhere in the term(s), so I tried typing in different variations that seemed familiar-ish, such as 'apoi kinoi', 'poi polloi', etc. Those weren't it, though, so I could be way off...

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Annoying?

harpua, jp-30 and Lord Vivec like this.
  3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Generation Y.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Run-on sentence?

There's no word for this because you can't do it.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's called a poor use of grammar and punctuation. Or Wheel of Fortune.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  6. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Nah, it definitely wasn't called a run-on sentence, thanks though. There honestly is a term for it, as it is (again, going by what I remember) a rare sentence structure. I was looking up different forms of written speech/linguistics, and I accidently came across it at the time. After some fact-checking I seen only like three other sites that had examples... wiki being just one of those. Maybe, it's even less common than I thought...

Anyways, reason I ask is because the sentence structure seemed unique, and I wanted to use it for a specific purpose. Again, though, thanks for the feedback.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    A jeopardy category

8. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Zeugma?

9. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    "Goodies" by Ciara

10. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    No, it unfortunately isn't zeugma. The term I'm thinking of described using a term as more so a transitional word in a way. Like in the example above the term 'hand' ends the sentence 'take my hand' and serves to begin another with 'hand me the ketchup'... all the while, though, it remains one sentence.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Two terms?

Asyndeton + ellipsis (or more broadly, syllepsis) would seem to cover it.

Randwulf Crescentmoon likes this.
  12. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Ah, thank you very much. That led me right to the term I was looking for on Wiki. 'Apokoinu construction'.

I thought there was an 'oi' in there somewhere.

13. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    "Zeugma" would have led you there. But no, you had to be spoon-fed.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He had to be spoon fed up with the search.

15. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Heh-heh, yeah... but to be fair I'm working on a slow computer, I have about eight tabs open at the same time searching Wiki under linguistics terms, phonology terms, lexicon terms, narratology, poetic devices, atomic sentence, rhetoric, propositions, sentence clause structure, etc. and with all of the jumping around I could only find the term I was looking for under the term 'asyndeton' which Jello provided, but maybe I missed it under zeugma? Dunno. Thank you again, though, as all input was most helpful.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  17. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    This time I am saving it on two cds/dvd-rs. What could go wrong? :p

It was my fault I lost the info the first time as I accidently broke my computer monitor, and when it was fixed all prior info was erased, unfortunately... so I got the computer back... and I accidently broke the cd... I figure this time I'll save it on the computer, save it to multiple cds and just in general be a little more careful with everything. Probably best I write it down, though, too...

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Who writes the letters after the dash?

19. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Well, if nobody else does, then I like that I do as it makes me unique, and that's fantastic. To be honest, though, I don't know all of the computer lingo, so I am unsure as to if the term cd is even the appropriate one for what I used. I have the broken cd in front of me, so I glanced at it... read dvd-r... and thought to myself I can write that. Turns out I couldn't, as it actually says DVD+R. Smh... it's... been a long day.

20. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    This thread is reminding me of that quote from the film, Mars Attacks: Do Martians have two sexes like we do?

I'm guessing that can be thought of as two conjoined sentences or one ineptly phrased sentence.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    have you thought about saving the definition to the cloud?

22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Rubber band aid. Did I do it right?

23. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    A mistake. It's called a mistake.

Darth Guy likes this.
  24. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    I didn't know what you meant be 'saving the definition to the cloud', and after looking it up I came across cloud storage. This is likely a foolish question, but I'm assuming that was what you were referring to, right? There's usually multiple brands with similar names and oft times indistinguishable features, so I just thought I'd ask to make sure.

If that's the one you were alluding to, then from what I've read it doesn't seem to be all that secure. I could be wrong, however... but yeah that would be my only real concern with that, as I'm not really too keen on entrusting another company with information that I can lose all on my own. Nevertheless, neat suggestion, as I've never really become familiarized with it before now. Could be something to think about...

25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes. One wouldn't want someone to hack into your files and steal the definition of a word from you.

. . .

. . .

Randwulf Crescentmoon likes this.