What is it with people thinking Padme will die in Episode III?

Discussion in 'Raleigh, NC' started by Starburstlvr, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've spent 3 pages on a board arguing with quite a few people who insist she's going to die in Episode III. I just don't get it. All factual evidence from Lucasfilm - everything that has been said for many years does not point to that fact.

My hypothesis is that she dies of a broken heart. After Episode III that is, but people seem to think that everyone's fate has to be all tied up in a neat package with a lil' bow on top.
  2. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    First of all, it's a no-brainer - for people to believe that it makes Anikin turn to the dark side from this one single event... too easy to think that Padme dying is the final straw that breaks Anikin's tortured psyche's back.

That's just so predictable. From a plot point, it's unimaginative, because so many stories heretofore have that lost dying love as the catalyst for good or evil as the case here may be. I would expect more from Lucas.

It would be more powerful to let her live, possibly fighing the converted Vader alongside Obi-Wan, and then letting him go broken hearted, seeing that he can't be saved from his fate.
  3. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    My guess is that Obi-Wan fights Anakin, and perhaps tells Padme that he's dead. Then again he could tell her the truth and what they're up against. She and Leia go to Bail, and Luke is sent to his Uncle and Aunt Beru. I think Padme dies after Episode III of a broken heart, and we don't learn of her fate until Episode VI with Leia's line.

But as you said, there are some people who have to have everything tied up all nice and neat - but the truly great stories don't necessarily do this.
  4. dinoX Jedi Knight

star 3
    my guess was that Palpatine told Anakin that she died at the hands of Obi-Wan. Anakin might have felt something like her dying, but she was only giving birth to Luke and Leia maybe...

But yeah, I hear you about the people who think Padme absolutely HAS to die in Episode III for some sort of closure. Anakin has already started down the dark path in Episode II when he slaughtered the Tusken Raiders...
  5. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    You just cannot believe the things I've read on that thread. They range from the craziest ideas I've ever heard to people with semi-good arguments. Mostly the previous one though.

So, I beg some of you to go to the Episode III (Spoilers Allowed) section and the topic:
    "The Twins Memories and Padme's Death."

And back me up! "Help me _____. You're my only hope."
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11314484&page=1

That will take you to the first page of the thread - which is only 4 pages long. I think I began arguing my point on page two and have been the only one to argue that Padme lives... it's so frustrating.
  6. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    A big thanks to dinoX for backing me up. I hope he knows what he's gotten himself into with these people.
  7. dinoX Jedi Knight

star 3
    trust me. i've been getting myself into trouble in the spoilers forum for Ep. 3 for over a year now. I know how to handle the heathens there. :D
  8. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    What I found to be very interesting is this:
    Not even ONE of the celebs who were at the Greensboro toy show this weekend could tell us anything solid beyond their own speculation. Not one of them had any inkling as to what is going on in Episode III. *NOT ONE* - or they wouldn't say. You gotta know only two people know for certain - Lucas and Rick McCallum, and you know they'll never tell.. Outside of that, my dear friends, -
    It made for lively discussions, though! and that's part of the fun. What say we start our own speculation thread here?
  9. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    This thread is on borrowed time.(Redundant)

Anyway, Padme MUST DIE ON SCREEN. Her character is simply too important to leave her fate to speculation.
  10. dinoX Jedi Knight

star 3
    Anyway, Padme MUST DIE ON SCREEN. Her character is simply too important to leave her fate to speculation.

Other than destroying canon facts and information, can you explain a bit further why?
  11. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    Boba, I don't think you have to leave her fate to speculation. They can hint at the end of Episode III that she dies of a broken heart. Someone saying something such as, "Her pain is overwhelming." or her saying "I've grown tired of all this sadness." Believe me, you don't have to have everything spelled out - or maybe you do, but I think it's better storytelling not to be heavy handed and explain everything. A movie's depth comes from the stuff that's in between the lines.

And I thinking beginning a thread would be interesting, at least on how we think the end of Episode III will go.
  12. Psycho_Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Call me stupid but where would killing Padme destroy canon facts and information? I'm not trying to sound like a smartass or anything I'm just wondering.
  13. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    You're right, Psy, it's not a done deal at all. Everything is open to debate - I say we open up a new thread now and I'll start it.
  14. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    To elaborate a little more, all major characters of SW from TPM on ,who did not make it to the end of Jedi, died on screen.(DV,Yoda,Obiwan,Darth Maul,Qui-Gon,Anakin,Tarkin,)

To say Padme died of a broken heart or to leave her fate open for speculation contradicts what GL has done throughout the Saga. There must be a clear-cut resolution on her fate/death.

15. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    It goes against what he's done before - but that doesn't mean he won't do it in this case.
  16. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    You're right, he can contradict himself but it doesn't change the fact that there has to be a clear-cut resolution to the fate of her character.
  17. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    Padme's not the type to cut and run. She'd probably give birth to Luke and Leia, then fight heroically, die gallantly. Is there a better way to go?
  18. Starburstlvr Jedi Knight

star 1
    You know I think I'd be okay with Padme dying in Episode III if I thought Lucas could write a solid scene giving us an explanation on how Leia remembered her - and there's quite a bit of people that think Leia will not be revealed in Episode III, due to the fact that it seems Obi-Wan didn't know she existed (which I disagree with)- so if those two things happen (Padme being killed and Leia's identity/birth not revealed) that will really screw up things in Episode VI. But Lucas really hasn't proven to me that he kind write a scene with an infant Leia where he kind of says - hey she'll remember her mother due to whatever, instead of beating the audience over the head with it and takin away from the whole Anakin turning to Vader thing.

And this whole baby Leia's amazing memory thing makes me wonder about Luke's memory. If Padme is murdered in Episode III, it's reasonable to believe that Luke and Leia spent relatively the same amount of time with her and since Luke is stronger in the Force, how come he didn't remember her?

Also, on starwars.com, we know from several biographies that Padme and Leia were hidden on Alderaan. So, do we honestly think that Lucas will show the following in the last 5-10 minutes: the twins being born, Obi-Wan taking Padme and Leia to Alderaan then taking Luke to Tatooine, a scene where Leia's memory of her mother is explained, Anakin becoming Vader, and then Padme's (supposed) death?

I find it highly unlikely. I still believe dying of a broken heart is the most tragic way to go, and can be definitely eluded to in Episode III even though Lucas has had a difficult time writing great dialogue lately - well forever actually :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.