main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is Lucas trying to say with the films?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jedi knight Pozzi, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm curious about what messages and observations Lucas may be making with the films so far?

Can anyone think of what his opinions and feelings about certain things could be? On love, war, business, etc.

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Well, first of all, I don't think these movies are supposed to do much more than entertain. His main goal is to give us something to escape the harsh reality of this world from time to time.

That being said, I think it's inevitable for his views to come out in his work. I think it's pretty obvious in the films that he thinks politicians are corrupt and greedy, that a good and benevolent democracy can turn into an evil dictatorship when people put too much faith in one person, and that good people can go bad when they can't let go of things.

3. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Lucas isn't trying to say anything. He just wants to tell a story.

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Lucas wants to reach out to the modern kid with certain messages and values. Philosophies like "Do or do not. There is no try" and "Your focus determines your reality" are really essential parts of GL´s life. When Yoda and Qui-Gon says those things, it´s actually Lucas sitting there with his pencil, reminding us of the most basic rules of life. Rules that are so important to remember in order to make something out of your life, but are often forgotten in our youth culture.
    Lucas simply created this action-packed film saga to reach us!
    And to satisfy the kid in himself, which is why it has that saturday matinee serial feel to it.

About war: GL originally intended the battle of Yavin to be much like the battle of Endor, with Wookiees fighting stormtroopers on Yavin IV, but the budget didn´t allow it, so it had to wait until ROTJ, where he turned the wookiees into ewoks. This is in reference to the Vietnam war, where the native Vietcong defeated the high-tech american army. GL has also said that he based the Emperor partly on President Nixon.

PLUS what JM201 and Durwood said :)

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    He's trying to say "Enjoy these movies and buy some toys later."

There are other themes, yes -- be true to yourself, trust your feelings, look for a greater 'Force' out there, choose the light side over the dark side, let the Wookiee win -- but they're his side points. They enrich the story, but do not comprise the story.

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    If anyone has seen "The Power of Myth" special with Joseph Campbell, they really discussed some of the saga's deper messages. One of the biggest things GL wanted with SW was to re-tell some of the classic myths, in a new setting (space) as a way of passing down the lessons of those old tales.

I think we as fans, look at our world and associate elements of SW to it, in comparision. I mean every time I hear President Bush speak...all I hear is,
    "I love democracy, I love the Republic..."

And then I wonder, when does the Imperial March start up :eek:

Like all the authors of timeless myths and legends, i think GL is making the SW films as a way to pass on the social and life values that seem to be forgotten in our society; for future generations to learn the lessons they won't get from hours of MTV.

7. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    I think we as fans, look at our world and associate elements of SW to it, in comparision. I mean every time I hear President Bush speak...all I hear is,
    "I love democracy, I love the Republic..."

Ah, not this bull**** again. [rolls_eyes]

8. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Lucas isn't trying to say anything. He just wants to tell a story.

I totally agree. Lucas wants to tell us a story he thought of. His vision is one of the greatest stories ever told.

9. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    That fear and anger, if not controlled, ultimatly lead to evil.

That apathy never solves problems, just makes them worse.

That corrupt and greedy businesses need to be kept in check.

That democracy, despite it's flaws, can work, but only if people accept it.

That those willing to trade in their freedoms for security will recieve neither.

That evil often is subtle and will fool the weak-minded and naive in order to gain power.

That often it's the people who are critical of you who truly care for you, while those who blindly compliment you are often phony.

That giving into vengenance and hatred will only cause more suffering for everyone.

That becoming too attatched to things, people, or even loved ones can be a terrible thing if taken to an obsessibe level.

That sometimes sacrifices need to be made for the greater good.

That those who have hope and faith are able to overcome even the most terrifying threats.

That death is not an end but a beginning, and that another world awaits us beyond.

That it's sometimes better to allow those close to you to be sacrifices then it is to betray the cause they stood for.

That those who try to 'play the hero' without fully thinking about what they're doing wind up failing.

That powerful technology can be defeated by those with determination and a just cause.

That even the greatest of strategies have weaknesses, and no one can predict every possible outcome.

That overconfidence and arrogance often lead to destruction.

That true love and friendship (NOT referring to blind romance or obsessive attachment) are able to conquer even the most tempting of evils.

All in all, I'd say there are a lot of things George Lucas is trying to tell within his brilliant story.

10. Stalinbomb

Stalinbomb Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2003
    He's saying that the older you get the less creative you become. He does a great job with this theory, hence Episode I,II and probably III in contrast to God sent Episodes IV-VI...

11. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    I think there's a lot of nature vs. nurture business going on in the films.

On the one hand, you can see how the Skywalker family is torn-apart by Anakin's turn to the Dark Side. Luke and Leia have to rely on surrogates to raise them.

On the other hand, the children inherit their father's destiny (and a bit of his power), which is to restore balance to the Force.

12. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I think what Stalinbomb is saying is crap, I'm sure George Lucas thinks his story is as good as ever and millions of people agree with him, just because you don't like the PT (which I am assuming from your statement) doesn't mean you should post such tripe.

13. DARTH_FLACCID

DARTH_FLACCID Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    why can't GL both tell a story and send some messages, too? You can't tell a story w/out sending messages; every story told has some reflection of the author and/or the storyteller. They don't have to "try" to send messages, because the messages come with it naturally. MetalGoldKnight makes great points.

for me, one of the strongest messages was in ANH. It was mentioned in that first episode of "Power of Myth": when Luke turns off his targetting computer and trusts himself and the Force, everyone in the audience cheers because they know that's the right thing to do.

the political stuff in AOTC works well as a loose analogy of the current political situation in the US. on the other hand, Sam's speech at the end of "Two Towers" sounded a little like Rush Limbaugh talking about Iraq.

14. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Don't let your fears control you- you should control your fears.

Trust your feelings.

Put others before yourself.

Never use red lightsabers.

15. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Where the Wachowski Brothers are trying to challenge you phylosophacly with THE MATRIX, Lucas is challenging you psychologically. He is saying that we all have both good and evil in us. Everyone of us is capable of becoming a Hitler or Saddam Husein.

16. chongnam

chongnam Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2003
    I'm not. Not me. Uh-uh.

17. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    Lucas could care less what he says with the films, as long as you buy a ticket...or three.

18. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Of course he could care less. He couldn't possibly care any more than he does.

Good to see you on the right side, Dr. E!

8-}

19. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    I see good ol' Duck and Run Evazan is still using my out of context quote in his signature.

Like I said before, Duck and Run, just remember my quote when you're sitting in the theater for your third viewing of Episode III. Why people think Lucas will pay attention to their complaints when they so openly support his films otherwise is beyond me.

20. young_padme

young_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2002
    Use the Force....

:p

Seriously I think the saga is what you make it to be and Lucas isn't trying to spread some secret message. If you find something in the story that you think is a life lesson then good for you.

21. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    Durwood, ill tell you for the tenth time... many fans, myself included, do not support the films anymore, no more buying the toys/DVDs, nothing. i know its very hard for you to accept but its going on and i dont know how to help you accept it.

good luck when you are sitting in the theater watching episode III and it (maybe) finally strikes you that youve been robbed, and that this whole PT thing was a poorly constructed facade.

22. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
  23. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    many fans, myself included, do not support the films anymore, no more buying the toys/DVDs, nothing.

And I'm sure all ten of you are very proud of yourselves. [face_laugh]

i know its very hard for you to accept but its going on and i dont know how to help you accept it.

You could start by kindly removing MY QUOTE TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT from your signature.

24. LucasCop

LucasCop Jedi Master star 2

Nov 20, 2002
    It is obvious that Lucas has presented a story with a message. That is the definition of a myth in its most basic form.

Former fans like Dr. Evazan need to realize that an audience does not own a story. An audience is only the receptor of a creator's body of work, not a participant. If Dr. Evazan is so adamant that the PT is such a failure, then I dare him to provide his reasons. Saying it is so, does not necessarily make it so. Why has Lucas apparently failed in his thematic presentation of the PT? Obviously, Dr. Evazan (and other ex-fans like him) believe that the OT once maintained a high level of thematic richness, so why has the PT failed to preserve this continuity?

Allow me to repost MedalGoldKnight's brilliant, insightful post on the messages that Lucas has attempted to convey in the Star Wars saga. I agree with every one of them. They are the reasons why the remaining Star Wars fans still come back to Lucas' work. Thanks, MGK.

That fear and anger, if not controlled, ultimately lead to evil.

That apathy never solves problems, just makes them worse.

That corrupt and greedy businesses need to be kept in check.

That democracy, despite it's flaws, can work, but only if people accept it.

That those willing to trade in their freedoms for security will recieve neither.

That evil often is subtle and will fool the weak-minded and naive in order to gain power.

That often it's the people who are critical of you who truly care for you, while those who blindly compliment you are often phony.

That giving into vengenance and hatred will only cause more suffering for everyone.

That becoming too attatched to things, people, or even loved ones can be a terrible thing if taken to an obsessibe level.

That sometimes sacrifices need to be made for the greater good.

That those who have hope and faith are able to overcome even the most terrifying threats.

That death is not an end but a beginning, and that another world awaits us beyond.

That it's sometimes better to allow those close to you to be sacrifices then it is to betray the cause they stood for.

That those who try to 'play the hero' without fully thinking about what they're doing wind up failing.

That powerful technology can be defeated by those with determination and a just cause.

That even the greatest of strategies have weaknesses, and no one can predict every possible outcome.

That overconfidence and arrogance often lead to destruction.

That true love and friendship (NOT referring to blind romance or obsessive attachment) are able to conquer even the most tempting of evils.

25. LucasCop

LucasCop Jedi Master star 2

Nov 20, 2002
    Now to provide my own two cents:

I get the feeling that Lucas uses Star Wars as a vehicle to promote a liberal Democratic ideology. I personally do not agree with Lucas' political stance. I side much farther on the conservative side politically.

His portrayal of Nute Gunray as a member of the "greedy" Trade Federation. (The name an obvious hybrid of "Newt" Gingrich and Ronald "Reagan".)

His admission that the Emporer is a representation of Richard Nixon.

His homage to the brave Asian defenders against ruthless technologically advanced hawks during the Vietnam War.

That if Americans are not careful, the Republican shift in ideals (Bush administrations advocating a world order preserved through American dominance and influence, and so on) will result in loss of identity, freedom, and safety much like the Imperial takeover of a galaxy far, far away.

I believe all of these themes had been in his head way back when he was a film student, but have now become a reality with Star Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.