main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is Mace Windu´s purpose in the saga?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Lars_Muul, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    So far, Mace Windu hasn´t done anything that had any impact on the story. He has been wise on the council and kicked some butt on Geonosis, but storywise, what is his purpose?
    He has got to play an important part in EpIII. Otherwise, I don´t see why GL would create him.
    So what do you think Mace will do in EpIII?

2. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I think Mace Windu's purpose is to be symbolic of the overconfidence and growing decline of the Jedi Order.

"I do not think the Sith could have returned without us knowing."

"And you think it's this boy?"

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, let's not forget that Lucas hugely expanded Mace's role after TPM.

I agree completely that Mace is supposed to be a microcosmic version of the Jedi Order - wise yet clueless, compassionate yet removed, powerful yet powerless.

Here's a quote of Yoda lecturing Mace, taken from Dark Horse Comics SW Jedi: Mace Windu. I recommend picking it up - it's a great read, with some EXCELLENT ideas.

Oh yeah, the context is that some Jedi are refusing to lead troops into battle, but have not yet decided to join the Separatists.

Mace: "Sora Bulq fought by our side on Geonosis. I find it hard to believe he could desert us."

Yoda: "Count Dooku's turn to the Dark Side you could not believe either. The Sith returning you also doubted. CERTAIN you have always been. Yet CLOUDED things have become.

Less certain, all is. What your STRENGTH has been, your WEAKNESS could become."

That pretty much sums it up.

I like Mace, I have to say.

4. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Mace's purpose is to show that the Jedi are an organization that supports and actively promotes diversity.

5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    He led the Jedi to Geonosis which ended up saving Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme.

6. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    And I feel that he will take out Dooku.

He already had SOME purpose. But I do think that so far the story could have done without him and still been just as good.

Maybe we'll see something about him in Ep. III. Maybe he ordered the clone army. Maybe he is Sipho-Dyas (a code name created by the Council, but whose true identity was kept secret from the rest of the Jedi, and the galaxy...). Who knows what will happen with him.

Needless to say I think he's done enough already for his existence to be justified. At the same time, I think he could use a little twist in his character arc in Ep. III. We'll just have to wait and see...

7. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    What is Mace Windu´s purpose in the saga?

To demonstrate why the Jedi Order must fall.

8. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    What is C-3PO's purpose in the saga? I mean, let's face it, he's done bugger all other than a bit of comic relief. I believe Mace is there to symbolise the epitome of what a Jedi was at that point, plus he was just plain cool. Not every character in the movies needs to have a large role in the grand scheme of things.

9. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    What is C-3PO's purpose in the saga?

C-3PO is a visual way of representing Anakin's turn to the darkside in the PT. In TPM 3PO was a newly contstructed protocol droid that was not yet completed. At this time Anakin Skywalker was a young boy who was good at heart. In AOTC, 3PO was more completed, but still not finished; just as Anakin was furthur along the path to the darkside, but still not completely turned. In Ep3, I expect to see a fully completed 3PO, as well as an Anakin Skywalker that has completely turned to the darkside.

10. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    I agree with using Mace to show the greatness and yet the shortcomings of the Jedi. Not just in a Padawan, or a Knight, but from a Master on the council. He is also someone for Yoda to talk to. I look forward to how he will be used in Episode III.

11. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    SWfan2002: C-3PO undergoes no permanent changes during the OT, but Anakin is turned away from the Dark Side and dies. Shouldn't 3PO then start rusting or something? :p

12. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    SWfan2002: C-3PO undergoes no permanent changes during the OT, but Anakin is turned away from the Dark Side and dies. Shouldn't 3PO then start rusting or something?

You better be careful. GL might add "cg" rust and decay to C-3PO's skin. 8-}

13. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    but wait - 3P0 gets completely blown apart on Bespin!?

What does that mean for Anakin?

And then 3P0 is worshiped as a god by the Ewoks!

"I'm so confused!";)

14. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    C3PO is only complete in one movie - ROTJ. TPM he he isn't fully completed, neither in AOTC. ANH he loosed his arm and has to be repaired and ESB he gets blown up completely. Perhaps that stands for something, I never really understand symbolism in Star Wars.

But back on topic. I would have liked to see Mace take on a larger role. He is the perfect example of why the Jedi fall but I would have also liked to see him be right for a change and do something useful. 90% percent of what he says is disproved by Yoda or some other facts. He leads the Jedi into a trap at Geonosis, while he is doing something here, he cost the Jedi many lives.

15. Ice Jedi

Ice Jedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 3, 2000
    The real reason why the character was created... Sam Jackson begged and pleaded with george lucas to be in the saga.

As for the character... i agree that he represents the Jedi Order. Overconfident and such. I think it is powerful to show that even a master on such a rank as Windu is wrong about the sith, and has his shortcommings. It shows that the Jedi order is not perfect. If a Padawan or a Knight have shortcommings, well they're not masters yet it is excuseable. But when someone on the counsil is wrong and is overconfident and such, it speaks for the whole Jedi comunity.

I think his role has been justified thus far and if there is a twist, "so be it... jedi"

--Ice Jedi--
    I've been away, and now i have returned...

16. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    The real reason why the character was created... Sam Jackson begged and pleaded with george lucas to be in the saga

Actually, the character of Mace Windu was created around the same time GL did the OT. However, GL never found a place for him in the OT, so he was kept out of the story until the PT. Then GL decided to cast Sam as the part.

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yup to both.

Yeah, I think Mace and the Jedi are tragic characters in a certain sense.

I think it's true that the Jedi are in a type of ivory tower, but I think they are compassionate and concerned nonetheless.

There is a thread of destiny that runs under the surface in SW (well, not always under the surface), and I think this ties into the Jedi - it seems to me that no matter what they do, the Republic will fall.

I mean, it's not just Mace, right? Yoda heads the Council, and he has to at least tacitly agree with Mace and the others in "staying the course."

18. CrazyB

CrazyB Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    Mace Windu's character is to show that GL supports affirmative action ;)

19. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    GL knew he had to have a black guy in each trilogy or he'd be bashed as a racist, much like the LOTR trilogy is being bashed. Jessie Jackson and the rainbow coalition was twisting his arm. The least GL could do was give Mace some personality. Lando was a pimp, Mace is a stiff.

20. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    According to the Art of The Phantom Menace, it was originally going to be Eeth Koth as the leader of the Jedi Council. I guess when Sam Jackson came to George Lucas and asked for a part, any part, GL thought, "Hey! Sam's a pretty cool guy, I think I'll have him be the leader of the Jedi Council," and augmented Mace Windu to be his character.

21. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Mace Windu was stiff in TPM but I AOTC he turned into my favorite character.

He rocked in the fight scenes!

I hope he has an ever bigger part in 3

and i think he will, but not much bigger

22. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Good points, everyone. Mace is a symbol of the shortcomings of the Jedi order. Alright! :)

BTW: I think that Mace will be the first Jedi who disappears upon death. What do you think about that?

23. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Ooooooh....that's another good question.

I was thinking it would still be Obi-Wan in ANH, but maybe you're right.

If Mace DOES sacrifice himself to buy Yoda, Obi-Wan and Padme time to escape, as so many people have excellently suggested, perhaps his noble self-sacrifice will make his body instantly become one with the Force.

I hope Lucas answers this question anyway; what IS the difference between Jedi who disappear and those who don't?

24. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Don´t worry, he will explain everything. Apparently, it has to do with pain. On the AOTC audio commentary, GL talked about Yoda hearing Qui-Gon in the middle of Anakin´s pain.
    I take it that it has something to do with the prophecy.

25. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Sorry if this comes out garbled - I'm biting my tongue (so to speak) . . .

Personally, as I see it, the character of Mace Windu has no purpose. There is nothing that Mace has done to contribute to the story that could not have been equally demonstrated by Jedi X, or Jedi Y. (X or Y =/= Yoda, OB1).

On another thread somewhere, someone asked the question, "What if Qui Gon hadn't died in TPM?" It's a good discussion, but one of the thoughts I remember is that if this were to have happened, Qui Gon would fit Mace's actions so much the better. One example: Rounding up what Jedi are left and going to save his former Padewan, OB1; So much more meaningful!

I do appreciate some of the points raised here that call attention to symbolism. That's just enough "sugar" to help me "swallow" Mace in EPIII, but I shan?t shed a pico-litre of a tear when Mace dies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.