main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is madness?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mastadge, Dec 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    What is madness, exactly? What does it mean to be insane? What's the difference between an uncompromising, willful, stubborn ******** and a madman? Is there a difference? Is "sanity" defined by one's acceptance of cultural standards?

2. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Madness is really nothing more than a state of mind, I think. It's not a condition, but how one is compared to others.

What's the difference between an uncompromising, willful, stubborn ******** and a madman? Is there a difference?

The difference is that the uncompromising ******** will claim to be part of a political party, while the so-called madman will not care.

3. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Madness is spending your spare time on a Star Wars board arguing issues with people you don't know.

;)

Madness usually leads to irrational behaviour, behaviour which is self destructive or extremely anti-social.

I guess many would call Michael Jackson mad, but others simply think he is eccentric.

4. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Madness is a riddle that the mind cannot solve. The more time spent contemplating/analyzing/thinking/hypothesizing/etc about a never-ending riddle, the further the mind travels into the depths...of something errather.

5. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    Liberals HAAAAAAAAAAA!!! [face_laugh]

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think insanity is best defined by the legal definition: are you in control of your actions or not?

To me, simply, a person who is totally out of control of their actions (and NOT by drugs, alchol, or some other artificial means) is insane.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. JediTre11

JediTre11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Lets say this:

When the mind is in equilibrium, it has achieved a balance between passion and reason. Or instinct and logic, or domination and liberty if you please. Maddness is when reason or passion or derviatives of either cause the mind's equilibrium to become unbalanced.

From this both Anarchy and Totalitarianism can be considered maddness.

8. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Madness is spending your spare time on a Star Wars board arguing issues with people you don't know.

Spare time?! [face_laugh]

I will heretofore try to remember this statement each and every time I feel compelled to peek in here when I have many and far more constructive things to do. [face_blush]

9. sith_jedi_fairy

sith_jedi_fairy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2002
    Madness is how other people see you. some say i am mad for liking Star Wars. Though i think they are mad.

10. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    I would agree with JediTre11. Many people who are pretty obviously crazy, are on a mental trip of some kind, making references to voices in their head or things that clearly are not happening, did not happen, and will not happen. Others are in the grip of their emotions all the time.

11. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    http://www.sydbarrett.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.