main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What is objectivity? Why do we like it so much?

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Jul 29, 2014.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    great. now i want a mojito.

Zapdos likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am drinking Pinot Noir.

We should discuss the paucity of obsequiousness in solicitousness to subject matter in the YJCC.

In this case, the subject matter is dispassion but we are all very passionate to the subjective nature of this topic.

3. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    wat

harpua and CloneUncleOwen like this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My subjectivity is better than your subjectivity.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This thread objectively inspired me to pick Chipotle for dinner.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I killed a thesaurus.

RIP thesaurus. :(

7. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    let's talk like that

i comprehend that this is a mammoth approximation and we sustain entire harangue like this this evening

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I read a funny story about a man who farted in a kid's face at Target, because he was being a spoiled brat and cussing at his mom.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I conjecture that I would exceedingly savor such discourse.

...and in actuality it is my understanding that the aura of flatulence is beneficial to one's overall constitution.

Juliet316 , harpua and Zapdos like this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I've got some bourbon. Clearly what we ought to do is stretch the OP to its absolute limits by discussing why objectivity don't real.*

Ergo: I contend that objectivity don't real because it's a crap term. More specifically, when we talk about objectivity we necessarily carry along a tremendous amount of definitional baggage - specifically, objectivity requires a definition of truth. But in the whole of human history, no universal standard for such a definition has ever been properly arrived at, because definitions are an illusion perpetrated by the Man, man.

Furthermore, at the layman level there is a conflation of objectivity and objectivism - not in the Randian sense, but rather in the sense of a metaphysics which asserts that the objective objects are, in fact, extant in some meaningful way. But how can you even metaphysics when science has empirically demonstrated that metaphysics don't real? Science disproved metaphysics so much that even though asserting that scientific realism is meaningful is itself a metaphysical claim, it's not actually a metaphysical claim. Because cat in a room or something.

In addition to these hangups, objectivity was originally constructed based on the infallibility of mathematics. But mathematics is totally fallible, or else full-blooded mathematical Platonism would be a viable model - and it cannot be so, for we have already disproven all metaphysics (See above). Consequently we no longer have a reference point by which to judge objectivity. It has simply become a contextless term that means nothing, and need I remind you that the early Wittgenstein, who solved all of philosophy, said that "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent"? I didn't think so, because he's mother****ing Ludwig Wittgenstein. So not only is objectivity a mess, it is actually meaningless. Thus, it don't real.

As we have now demonstrated that objectivity don't real, we must, of logical necessity (Because logic is infallible as it's empirically derived via computers), conclude that the OP is actually a clever word illusion, and that the thread was originally intended to discuss mint chip ice cream. Subjectively, the best flavor.

I'm including a disclaimer because somebody, somewhere, might think I'm serious.

I'm totally serious, for real. 100% not ****ing around. Incidentally, I happen to know a guy who sells bridges...

11. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    ramza, precedent subsist you implementation?

12. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

[​IMG]

"Thesaurus? When you got Pinot Noir you don't need no stinkin' thesaurus!"

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    CUO's here... now it's a party.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The ballads of the proletariat would indicate that diets with a disproportionate allotment of family Leguminosae are advantageous with respect to generating a veritable cornucopia of anal flatus.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    CloneUncleOwen : Indeed. Fermented grape liquid refreshment does enable me to better utilize elephantine locutions.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  16. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

[​IMG]

Do not try to brand me with your sorceress words! I will consult Moviefan/Jesusfan, and ye shall be cast out!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Don't blame jesusfan, blame christian apologetics. Jesusfan is just a disciple. When you base your entire worldview and sense of worth on something which does not actually exist then you must contort logic, reason and common sense into bizarre shapes in order to give your worldview some semblance of reality. We would all do the same if we hitched our entire self identity and worth to the existence of leprechauns.

anakinfansince1983 and tom like this.
  18. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    naw im gonna blame him. somebody has to cus he sure as hell won't

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My fermented grape beverages and I take great pleasure in envisioning the existence of fanciful, minuscule, verdigris creatures.

And in the self-exoneration for any prolonged perorations regarding such envisionings.

LostOnHoth likes this.
  20. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Jesusfan is not exactly the height of Christian apologetics. If Christian apologetics had a winter Olympics, Jesusfan would be the guy who got his tongue stuck to the frozen flagpole.

21. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Agreed!

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had theorized that his contemporaneous sobriquet was synonymous with that reverent persona in the popular humorous animation featuring other flaxen personas.