What is so BAD about the love dialogue/acting between Anakin and Padmé?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by tun_dot_com, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Stronzo Jedi Padawan

One of the main problems for me in the PT is the lack of a Han Solo type character. I just find him to be a kick ass, cynical, humorously sarcastic, and thoroughly interesting character. I really liked the romance between him and Leah because it was believeable, and they definitely had chemistry. Its a familiar theme; the princess falling in love with the rogue. Try as hard as i might, I just can't believe in Anakin and Padme's love.. there is very little chemistry between them in my opinion, and there is little in the story to make me believe that she could fal in love with him. And, all justifications aside, the dialogue given to them is simply abrasive.. it hurts my ears hearing it. There is one line, however, in the fireplace scene, which intrigues me... "I can't breathe"... foreshadowing??
  2. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I would settle for a Luke type character, a window for the audience to become part of the story, an everyman we can all identify with.
  3. Darth_Zoo Jedi Master

star 4
    I definetly think that a Han Solo PT would of been bad for the saga. Han Solo's attitude is classic and shouldn't be copied for another character in the PT just because.

I can relate to Anakin more personally than Luke. I'm glad the saga has a diverse set of characters, not just clones from one trilogy to the next.
  4. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't want clones either. Nor do I think a han solo is nessesary or good for the PT.
    I jsut don't feel there is anyone to root for or beleive in the PT.
  5. RoseBlue Jedi Padawan

Frankly, I hated, hated Han Solo and for exactly those reason. I don't like sarcastic, cynical people like him. I hated the romance too. Han insults here and she insults him, why do they like each other? However, this is off-topic.
    I think the closest thing to an every-person would be Anakin. He starts off like Luke. I was surprised when I saw ANH how much like it was to TPM.He is a Jedi but acts like normal people.
    The romance is different from what we expect. This is normal. They are from a different culture if you want to be realistic. In some cultures, the parents marry the kids off. They do not do it our way. Therefor, in a different culture, different romance.
    In story terms, the love story is similar to Romeo and Juliet. Romeo does say things that most people would laugh at.
    A person cay say that they dislike. It is the same as disling a classical tragedy. But saying that a story is bad for being a tragedy is silly because that person is not the author. Lucas can write a love story however he pleases and if he likes the old-fashioned type for a couple then that is his choice.
  6. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Roseblue, does Obi-wan in the PT bother you for the same reasons as Han Solo? He has a sarcastic comment for everything and tends to act like a pretty big jerk much of the time. Just curious if he rubbed you the wrong way as well.

As for Anakin being the everyman, I don't agree, but its all opinion I suppose. I don't find him very relatable in either TPM or AOTC. In TPM because he's too good, to vitruous, to perfect. And AotC for the opposite because he is to smarmy and selfish. I often feel that we missed an important step in his development as he seems to have gone from through a lot of changes from part 1 to part 2.

Though Anakin does have a lot of similarities to Luke, as he should, I don't really feel that either prequel has been from his point of view. Perhaps ep3 will.
  7. Darth_Zoo Jedi Master

star 4
    ^ well said.

I understand your point Rebel Scumb. That is very sad, but you can always root for Artoo (everyone loves him ;)). I personally was very drawn into the Anakin-Padme love story, maybe my age (19) has to deal with it.

I never really could relate to Luke, he just seemed to give up too quickly.
  8. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes R2 does rule.

What did Luke give up on? You mean on trying to win Leia?

In that instances I suppose I agree, the love triangle in the OT never really comes to fruitation the way it could of.
  9. Darth_Stronzo Jedi Padawan

It's not that I necessarily wanted a Han clone in the PT, just a character as likeable and interesting as him. I agree that a Han clone would have been lame.
    More on Han-Leah's chemistry.. I like the fact that they constantly insult each other... its adds flair and passion to their romance. Peope don't usually show their emotions.. they try to hide them. Plus, I believe it more than I do Anakin and Padme. Hell, a lot of my own relationships started out similarly!!!
    But remember, this is all just my opinion!
  10. RoseBlue Jedi Padawan

I don't like Obi-Wn too much. The problem with him is his overcriticalness and his coldness. The sarcasm is a problem but it is down on the list.

To me, being insulted is not a compliment. I am not trying to be mean, but the idea that being insulted is good to a romance is a terrible idea. I see it as boder-line abuse really. Actually, it is emotional abuse since that is tearing down another person and making them hate themself. I guess you don't agree but that is the way I think.

My romances are more like Anakin and Padme, I fall in love with a person and get to know them. If they insult me, good-bye.

As for the people showing emotion, there is a minority of people who do show strong emotion. I am one of them. I wear my heart on my sleeve. So it is normal to me. I don't understand what is the problem. I would like more men to be like Anakin.

Anakin acts perferctly normal to me. He never stuck me as being too good in TPM. Most kids that age act like him if I recall correctly. On ATOC, my borthers were nice until they were teen-agers. Then they became stubborn and and bit selfish. I don't see Anakin any worse then them. I think he is better cause he treats Padme with respect. He tells her he will do what she wants and he listens to her. When she says no, he stops. I think he is a gentleman around her.
  11. Rebel Scumb Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The thing about the Han Leia romance is that it happens naturally out of attraction and tension. They push each others buttons and get under each others skins, you can see it develop. To me the ani/ami romance just happens because the plot dictates that it must, but I don't believe they should be together, and I can't figure out why they are.
  12. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I don't have a problem with the Anakin / Padme love story. There are a lot of real-life couples that I can't figure out, and I don't have a problem believing that Anakin and Padme could fall in love.
  13. Obi-Can Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree rebel-scumb. The Ani/Padme romance is not there one minute and then suddenly they are an item. For example, at Naboo palace they are so not romantically involved that Padme dis's Anakin in front of the Queen then the next scene they are kissing. What the heck happened to lead up to that?

From the beginning of the movie until they are at the lake retreat Padme is cold to Anakin. Then all the sudden Padme is fighting her attraction to him. Totally unbelievable.

I also believe their was very little chemistry between the two characters. I thought the Han/Leia romance was more believable for that reason alone, you could see that they really liked each other and were attracted to each other. I bought that Anakin was attracted to Padme, but not that she was attracted to him. Can't really pinpoint why that is.
  14. RoseBlue Jedi Padawan

I am trying really hard to understand what you guys mean. I am not trying to be mean so be patient. I don't get by what you mean by chemistry. Is it physical attraction or emotional intimacy? Or what?
    If Padme dissing Anakin means she doesn't like him, then how do you explain Leia's dissing Han? She called him a scruffy nerf-herder and that is insulting. I am confused so help!
    Please correct me, but the main problem is that the two do no insult each other. Is this the problem? I don't understand why insulting another person is romanctic. I genuinely do not.

15. PMT99 Force Ghost

star 4
    Padme disses Anakin in front of the Queen because she's trying to hide her feelings so that she doesn't give off any indication for Jamilla or any of her advisors to know that Padme's in love with Anakin.

Same thing at the beginning of the film so that neither Obi-wan, Captain Typho, nor anyone else knows that there's something going on between Padme and Anakin.
  16. Darth_Stronzo Jedi Padawan

Roseblue: you really don't understand??? Remember the old schholyard addage: the boys who tease you the most are the ones that like you. Han and Leah get under each other's skins so easily BECAUSE of their feelings for each other. It's indicative of the passion that exists between them. Otherwise, if they didn't really care about each other, why would they keep at each other like that??? It is other things too.. the way Leah looks at Han when he first makes his entrance on the Hoth base, etc. Perhaps its also a way of self-denial.. "I don't really fell this way about this person".. a way to block out those intense feelings. It's a very interesting relationship, and works for me on different levels. As for Anakin and Padme, I buy that Anakin has a schoolboy crush/obsesion with Padme, since it is established early on in the film. My trouble is with Padme. Besides physically, what finally causes her to "realize" her feelings for him?? I personally has a hard time with it (as well as the painfully bad dialogue). Again, thats just me. Maybe others bought their romance. Now, I accept it and just look at it as being necessary for moving the story along, because after all, Luke and Leah need to be born, don't they??
  17. vampire-jing Jedi Knight

star 3
    If Padme dissing Anakin means she doesn't like him, then how do you explain Leia's dissing Han? She called him a scruffy nerf-herder and that is insulting.

Good question,Roseblue.

Although I do think Han and Leia have chemistry(physically for the most part),I've been uninterested in the TESB romance.They had feelings for each other,they bickered,they flirted,then "I love you""I know".It's not bad,but nothing special to me.

"Chemistry" is a matter of opinion,I guess.Anakin and Padme have Great chemistry together IMO.

AOTC romance is very subtle and genuine,not to mention it's a tragedy.Yeah,it had some problems(a little rushed,some dialogues were corny,blah,blah,blah.),but so did Han&Leia.Plus,love is corny.

Overall,I prefer Anakin&Padme much more.
  18. TheAnointedOne Jedi Knight

star 2
    Lucas didn't have a lot of time to develop a great love between Anakin and Padme. He did have half of a movie and with clever writing, it can be done. It's been done before very effectively. A good example would be the movie "First Knight" with Sean Connery and Richard Gere. In this movie, the love felt between Lancelot and Guinevere had to be established in the first half of the movie and it was done very effectively. Guinevere didn't want to fall in love with Lancelot, but he was very dashing and he heroically saved her life more than once when no one else could.

I believe that GL could have made the love story more believable if he had Anakin heroically save Padme a couple of times. This would be easy to do, since he was assigned to protect her. Then it would be easy to believe that Padme could fall in love with Anakin. To do this, however, would mean that Anakin would have to be more mature and not the whiny brat that GL made him into for who knows what reason.

EDIT: By the way, many of the lines in First Knight were corny and formal sounding, but the romance worked because the acting was good and Richard Gere's character was charming and interesting enough to make you care about the character. Not only that, but the romance didn't seem rushed even though it happened very quickly. The same is true with Han and Leia. Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were good enough to make their characters interesting and charming enough to make you care about the romance. And it didn't seem rushed even though it happened much more quickly than Anakin and Padme.
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >> If Padme dissing Anakin means she doesn't like him, then how do you explain Leia's dissing Han? She called him a scruffy nerf-herder and that is insulting.<<

Padme "dissed" Anakin because he was acting big-headed, as well as trying to belittle her position in front of the Queen, which was also leading to bad decisions- an unappealing act to someone like Padme.

With Leia and the nerf-herder line, she didn't want to admit she had feelings for Han, or at least wasn't sure about what she was feeling, and when Han stated that she had feelings so publicly to her friends, she felt angry that he would do so, so she insulted him, which led to his retort and eventually to her kiss with Luke, whose only purpose was to make Han jealous.

>>I don't understand why insulting another person is romanctic.<<

Tension mainly. Tension can lead to romance. Can also break it. Makes things interesting ::)
  20. JKBurtola Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Padme "dissed" Anakin because he was acting big-headed, as well as trying to belittle her position in front of the Queen, which was also leading to bad decisions- an unappealing act to someone like Padme.

No no no no. She didn't "diss" him because of that. She disrespected Anakin by not recognising that even though he is a Padawan he is still a Jedi, she demotes him and treats him as if he isn't in any authority position when in fact he is.

Now the love story in AOTC is pretty good stuff to me, at least they are open about how they feel and the tension is centred differently from the tension between Leia & Han.
    Instead of insults and bickering, this romance is about the repressed feelings they have for each other, that they try to deny but in the end really can't.
    Thats why I love this story, its so damn obvious they love each other, Padme especially. Yes Anakin spells it out, but look at Padme. With her eyes, her body expressions, she is so taken by Anakin.

Han & Leia never seemed in love to me, I don't believe that what they had was love. When I saw Anakin & Padme, I saw love. And a tragic love at that.

And anyway Anakin does remind me of my myself; young, wearing my heart on sleeve, passionate and willing to bare my soul for the one I love. Thats probably why I find the AOTC love story so great and realistic.
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>she demotes him and treats him as if he isn't in any authority position when in fact he is.<<

Though he overstates his importance and authority in a way that demotes her, hence the need for her rebuttal to bring him back down to ea...naboo [face_batting]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.