main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is sport?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Skiara , Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    You have to remember that physical sports require an incredible amount of mental strength in addition to an incredible amount of phyical ability (for the elite).

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    But those are practices that lead up to a competition. A person who runs marathons doesn't compete every day or even weekly in a marathon. Normally they train for a long time to be able to do that (by themselves). Are you saying they are less of an athletic and it shouldn't be considered a sport because it it just one person?

3. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Everton, I agree with you on the topic of hobby. It can't be used for a definition of what is sport and what not.

Coruscant, what do you mean by competition? Are you speaking about the competition between two person or teams? Or about the competition within one person (aka getting better)?

I have my problems with the idea of having some kind of competition, because there are lots of people out there who just love (for example) to run. Some may have a reason like keeping/loosing weight, stay at a good fitness and so on, but some others just do it for fun. So I won't say competition is a anything about which we can define sports.

But if we take a look at those sports you can see on television, then there's definitely always some kind of competition. Without competition a sport would be less interesting to the audience.

4. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    I believe a sport should envolve both mental and physical skill. Not necessarily physically exhausting as in bowling, you are most likely not going to be drenched in sweat, but there is a physical skill required. However, in chess, no physical skill is required, it's only mental. There should also be some form of competition.

Marching band and cheerleading should both be considered sports if they compete, but not if they are just for show.

I have engaged in slight arguments with a few football players over whether or not band is a sport and they usually throw in that it doesn't require as much strength and is therefore not a sport, however, not one of them would be willing to all but run, and at some times actually run, with a bass drum on.:p

5. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    That's interesting...I would never have considered Marching Band a sport (and still don't even after your post.) [face_thinking]

6. _princess_leia_

Feb 23, 2004
    Even if not, you should really check out a drum corps competition. It's phenomenal. They practice from 7am until 8pm for their entire season - more devotion to band then I'd ever be willing to give.:p

7. DarthFacetious

DarthFacetious Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 3, 2004
    I agree with _pl_. Being a bass drummer in a marching band is just as physically and mentally exhausting as some sports (notice I said some). I remember coming off the field from competition drenched in sweat. And, it wasn't as if it were one game. We performed the drill at least five times in one day, had grueling long practices, and whatnot. We were more likely to be at the school just practicing on the blacktop or field long after the football team went home.

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    In my view Cheerleading is sport as well - no matter if they go to competitions, because they have to train and it is physically exhausting (depending on how much they do/train of course).

But marching bands don't belong to sport groups, although it can be really exhausting (I have no experience but I believe this from what I've seen) they are musicians in my opinion. They don't do it for fitness or because they want to move their muscles, they mostly do it because of the music or to support a team.

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd say Cheerleading, is done in a competitive environment, is definitely a sport.

Poker however, is not. It's only a game.

10. _princess_leia_

Feb 23, 2004
    And cheerleaders do not support a team?

Also, how does watching a band perform give you any idea of their motives for performing? If I just wanted to play music I wouldn't do it while marching around, I'd do it inside in air conditioning with a chair to sit in.

11. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    How about Rodeo? Bull riders? Bronc rider? Calf ropers? Barrel Racers?

12. _princess_leia_

Feb 23, 2004
    Definitely all sports, IMO. They compete and require physical skill.

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Of course, cheerleaders support their team, but that's not the basis for anything being a sport or not (at least in my view). Fans support their teams as well, but being a fan isn't a kind of sport. ;)

Everyone have their own motives why they do what. I was speaking about a general view and my opinion. :)

14. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Golf is most definately a sport. I've been playing it for seven years now and I can tell you it is physically demanding.

Standing on the driving range for 3 hours, continually hitting balls and refining your swing takes it out of you. Although it may not be as physically intense as sports such as football (soccer), rugby or athletics it can come with injuries, many of which I have had since I started playing the game. Those who say otherwise obviously haven't played the sport at a decent standard.

15. WolverineOfTheORS

WolverineOfTheORS Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2006
    Where people / teams contest for a prize?

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    If only sports in competitions count, what are about those sports where people just do it for themselves like running?

17. Saper

Saper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2006
    I would define that as an activity or exercise. If they do it to compete it becomes a sport, but just jogging or running for recreation is just exercise.

18. primetime62

primetime62 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2005
    Here's my deffinition. IMHO athletics are one form of "sport". Really sports are an activity done for fun and is in someway comptitive (i.e. hunting, baseball, auto racing, and even poker.) Athletics are sports where excessive physical exhertion is neccessary.

19. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    Is Pool a sport?

20. primetime62

primetime62 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2005
    I would say yes it is a sport, but it's probably not an athletic competition.

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    To make a difference between sport and exercise is interesting. Although I think running just for fun is sport, I thought about it. For me there are two different kinds of sport: competitive sports and sport just for fun. And exercising shows just an aspect of sport.

For me it is difficulty to say if pool is a sport or not. It depends much on why, where, when and how often you do it. As an extreme example, pool in a competition is a sport, but pool just doing once, maybe including eating and drinken when it's not your turn and with no intention beside of letting time pass, it won't be sport. I know this might be the opposite of my personal general definition, but it feels like this for me. ;)

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    In another thread we just started to talk about domino being a sport or not.

What do you think about domino? Is it a sport? And why? Or why not?

Chess is known as a sport, so can domino be one as well?

23. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It's competitive, it has official leagues, and yes, if Chess is considered a sport, than so should Dominoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.