What is Sport?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Kyptastic, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I never said everything on ESPN had a lot of an element of sport. Just that it had some element of a sport. :p

But everything you listed off has some element of sport. No matter what you listed off there's some amount of skill necessary to compete at a high level. They simply lack the other elements that I'd require to consider them sports.

And, horsey, everything you listed off I wouldn't count as a sport. That's not to knock them. That's not to say there isn't athletic ability and skill. They just fall short of my standard of what a sport is.
  2. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    But theres a difference between a sport needing skill (and yes, they do, obviously), and saying that anything that requires skill to compete has an element of a sport in it. It takes skills to get hired at most professions, but that in no way remotely resembles a sport. Example: You need skills to compete in the engineering job market. Getting a job in it, however, is so far removed from having an element of sport in it that its ludicrous.
  3. JANGOANTILLES Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.