Saga What is the Best Lightsaber Duel in the Entire Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by skyrimcat9416, Dec 28, 2013.

?

What is the Best Lightsaber Duel in the Entire Saga?

Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul (The Phantom Menace) 22 vote(s) 28.6%
Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader (The Empire Strikes Back) 23 vote(s) 29.9%
Anakin Skywalker vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith) 19 vote(s) 24.7%
Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader (Return of the Jedi) 4 vote(s) 5.2%
Yoda vs. Darth Sidious (Revenge of the Sith) 6 vote(s) 7.8%
Mace Windu vs. Palpatine (Revenge of the Sith) 1 vote(s) 1.3%
Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader (A New Hope) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Yoda vs. Count Dooku (Attack of the Clones) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. General Grievous (Revenge of the Sith) 1 vote(s) 1.3%
OTHER (A Lightsaber Duel that was not mentioned.) 1 vote(s) 1.3%
  1. skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Which duel do you think was the best lightsaber duel in all six movies?
  2. spicer Jedi Master

star 4
    IMO the best is the Luke vs. Vader duel in Empire. The technique is simple and to the point (well according to me at least, one who never practiced sword fighting :p), no over the top spins just for the sake of it, and Vader shows his mastery of the Force as well.
  3. Han Burgundy Jedi Master

star 3
    Luke vs Vader in ESB. The choreography isn't the best in the series, but it's a huge cut above the other two OT duels, featuring more intensity and passion than ANH, and more moments of actual sword fighting than the relatively brief fight in ROTJ.

But the strength of the battle is the way it tells a story. The tension leading up to it is palpable. This is where father meets son. From the moments Luke turns to see Vader standing there, like the grim reaper, atop the staircase, and we see the red lightsaber appear out of almost thin air, we know Luke is screwed. Upon rewarching the series, it's actually quite terrifying to see a father lunge so brutally at his child, not with the express intent of killing, but with indifference as to the lethality of his strikes. The fact that the duel is a rare spot where we are deprived of John Williams musical guidance leaves us raw. This duel is Anakin at his scariest, Luke at his most vulnerable, and arguably Star Wars at its most thrilling.
  4. The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the emotion of the final battle in ROTJ makes it a top contender, I've never been a big fan of the duel in ESB, guess I don't watch it enough. Regardless my vote went to the duel of the fates. Darth Maul's entrance is menacing, the Jedi mean business, and the choreography is amazing. Also there are no half truths or outbursts involved, this duel is simply good vs evil for all the marbles.
  5. Samnz Jedi Master

star 3
    I have several favourites depending on focus and emphasis.

Speaking strictly about "lightsaber fights", I have to go with Episode I's final duel (Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul).
    It just excels on a visual level, imo. Darth Maul's reveal with the opening door is brillaint and symbolized the return of the Sith. Maul's develish self is the perfect visualisation of evil and a reemergence of darkness.
    I'm also kind of the fact that it's not just a contest between Jedi and Sith: it's also a fight with a Sith student, a Jedi Master and a Jedi Padawan as combatants and that's obvious in their fighting stlye. Maul is massiveöy aggressive, overconfident and brutal. Qui-Gon is the personification of calmness and consonant with himself. His moves always seem reasoned. Obi-Wan is somewhere inbetween the two former: more impatient than Qui-Gon but less hateful than Maul. I love how him being a Jedi is tested during the fight. He is in danger of losing his self-control and is stirred by his emotions and that almost kills him. Ulmtimately, however, he remembers of his dying Master and what makes and Jedi and succeeds with that.

I also appreciate the way the duel was filmed. I loved the wide shots of that temple like location. I loved the bright lighting that almost seemed to entwine the characters and conveyed that feeling of spiritualty and a clash of philosophies. The music certainly helped to create that atmosphere as well.

I just think it is a very well realized fight and the perfect introduction to the Saga and the Jedi as well as the Sith. It's certainly not the most emotional fight (although Qui-Gon's death as a result is quite emotional) but I don't think that would have been wise at that point.
    Last edited by Samnz, Dec 28, 2013
  6. The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master

star 4
    It is creepy how similar our dp's, opinions, rank and joining date are lol.
    Last edited by The Supreme Chancellor, Dec 28, 2013
    Jarren_Lee-Saber and Samnz like this.
  7. Samnz Jedi Master

star 3
    :-D That's funny, never noticed before ... I swear to you I've never been to Kamino , though , it's just a coincidence :-D
  8. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 7
    The Force is with you young Skywalker, though you are not a Jedi yet.

ESB Luke and Vader easily.
  9. Darth Raiden Jedi Knight

star 3
  10. MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The intensity and moodiness of the Bespin duel sets it out above the rest for me.
  11. Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Master

star 4
    Duel of Fates hands down for utter coolness.

Anakin vs Ob-Wan in ROTS for emotional stakes
  12. SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight

star 4
    Tie between Luke vs Vader in ESB and Anakin vs Obi-Wan for me. For just coolness to watch, Anakin vs Obi-Wan in ROTS.
  13. skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight

star 1
    As much as I like all the other duels listed...I just got to give it to Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Last edited by skyrimcat9416, Dec 30, 2013
  14. ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    The Luke vs. Vader Empire duel by a landslide.

It has great fight moves without going way over the top that looked rehearsed (cue in the Prequel duels). Plus there is so much more to the duel than the actual swordplay. Luke is now facing Vader, the man who killed Ben. The being that trapped and tortured his friends. The entity that has been chasing him through the galaxy. He is very inexperienced and facing the Dark Lord of the Sith. Vader toys with him. The dialogue is just enough. Then there's the real possibility of Luke dying. The revelation from Vader. Luke's sacrifice, etc. No other duel matches up in all of these categories.

I know everyone loves the Phantom duel and I agree it's a great duel to watch. But what is really going on there? An unknown bad guy from a group that was long believed to be dead is back. He wants to kill them. They want to kill or capture him. But, that's really it. It was just "hey we are Jedi and we know you are bad. You tried to kill Qui gon. Hey I am a Sith and gonna kill you two." Not much else is really going on beyond the sword play. It's probably why there is no dialogue. What are they really going to say to him and vice versa? Not much on the emotional scale.
  15. IIA_MasterSHenson Jedi Youngling

star 1
    God...hard one. No offense to 4-6 but definitely not any of them. I think the last battle between Vader and Luke where the emperor tells him to kill Vader is in the ranking but not by anything except for the "good motivation" category.
    The best two: QuiGon/Obi vs. Maul and Anakin vs. Obi on Mustafar
    Reasons:
    -Maul and QuiGon and Obi was just good. Four categories would be choreography, motivation, feeling, and enhancement to the story. Choreography, it wins over all other Star Wars duels hands down. Motivation was very clear and very well put. Feeling is subjective yet I think it overall gave to most the feeling of urgency, hope, and even despair. (it gave a lot more to me). Enhancement to the story is simple, QuiGon makes Obi train the boy and Palpatine is forced to find another apprentice. It pushes Star Wars into action. Could be the best hands down
    -Anakin and Obi on mustafar is extremely high in the four categories as well. Choreography is a bit messier but that serves to tell of the unwanted duel, the haphazard emotions fueling it I think. And the choreography, though not always skilled, was good for the time, place, and situation. The motivation was simple too. Anakin gave him a chance to walk away from a confrontation (as he was now a sith apprentice) and Obiwan tried to make him see reason. It had to come to blades. The feeling of it was intense and extreme and riveting. The enhancement to the story led to the blocky suit Vader was then seen in and spurred the story along.
    Both are good examples and could be number one. While I lean toward TPM's duel, I think that would just be because I ultimately like the fight-death-finish it-begin the saga ritual that happens and that' not entirely fair to mustafar's duel. Either one.
  16. DRush76 Jedi Master

star 4
    I chose Anakin Skywalker vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi in ROTS for not only the emotional level of the duel, but also the skill displayed by the two actors. Great combination!
  17. Odolwa Jedi Knight

star 3
    I guess i would pick Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan Vs Maul.
  18. Allana_Rey Jedi Master

star 4
    Yoda Vs. Sidious in ROTS, I know it's not the most iconic of the lightsaber battles but it's just so beast.
  19. moonjump05 Jedi Master

star 4
    Anakin and Obi-Wan on Mustafar- basically the culmination of all 6 movies.
  20. Jawasinhats27 Jedi Youngling

I'd have to say Obi Wan Kenobi vs Anakin Skywalker in ROTS
  21. Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight

star 4
    Obviously the little hologram duel between Vader and those three Jedi in Episode III.
  22. Jawasinhats27 Jedi Youngling

23. Redneck Jedi Jedi Youngling

What about General Grievous vs Obi Wan. Its my favorite movie solely because of that cool lizard thing Obi Wan rides. (anyone know what thats called) I would rather have one of those than a lightsaber.
  24. son_of_skywalker03 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm torn between the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel in RotS, and the Luke/Vader duel in TESB. I put the Luke/Vader duel in RotJ just a slight step behind those two.

I also like the emotional contrast between the Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon/Darth Maul duel when compared to the dual-duels we got in RotS (Yoda/Palpatine and Obi-Wan/Anakin). The former come across as very much a "this is what we do" type of conflict. The latter two were definitely a battle for the body and soul of the galaxy.
    Last edited by son_of_skywalker03, Jan 4, 2014
  25. DRush76 Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't the foggiest idea. I know which are my favorite duels.
    Last edited by DRush76, Jan 4, 2014