main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the best opening theme of the movies?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by tun_dot_com, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tun_dot_com

tun_dot_com Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2002
    In your opinion, which Episode had the best opening theme? Granted they are pretty much the same in the beginning, but what about later on in the song? So far, I really like Episode I's theme, and Episode IV and II close behind.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    (1) We call 'em tracks 'round here, not songs. Songs have lyrics, which the SW main theme does not (except when Carrie Fisher sings in the Holiday Special... well, moving on)

(2) I like ANH's best because it's the most recognizable, and TPM's second best because it's the LEAST recognizable. (Does this make sense?) TPM's seems the most generic to me... you could use it for anything. Which helps.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. tun_dot_com

Dec 5, 2002
    Lol, I really don't care what they are called. Anyway, I see what you mean by that. I love the Episode I theme because like you said, you can use it in lots of places. The one from ANH definitely reminds you of Star Wars. :D

Oh and BTW, oculd you give me the exact title of the Episode IV main theme track? Thanks :)

4. tun_dot_com

Dec 5, 2002
    Nevermind, I found it. [face_smile]

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    The themes are all the same: The Main Title or Luke's Theme. There are four different arrangements/performances of the Main Title (all very similar). Perhaps this thread discussing their differences may be of some interest.

Now as far as the segues from the Main Title, in ANH we have Rebel Blockade Runner & Imperial Attack. In ESB we have Ice Planet Hoth (yes with music not in the film). ROTJ features Approaching Death Star. TPM has Boarding The Federation Battleship. AOTC features Ambush On Coruscant (with Kamino mystery theme included on the OS :)).

My favorite is probably Approaching The Death Star. I love Ice Planet Hoth, but the film is different from the SE version.

And there are no songs in the openings!

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "Approaching the Death Star"

I love that quick, rousing string cue as the shuttle comes in for a landing. Amazing.

7. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    It might just be from the heart, but I think that my favorite is TPM. For some reason, when I hear that hollow sound right as the fanfare fades away, all the excitement of that summer comes back, and I feel like I am sitting in a theater, bubling over because I GET TO SEE IT AGAIN...

//leaves computer to put TPM on//

8. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I've been listening a lot to ANH lately and the Main Title recording for that film is my current favorite.

I also love listening to the bonus track at the end of disc one of the SE with all the original recordings of the Main Title. It's fun trying to figure out which pieces they used from the last three takes they recorded to make the final film edit.

The final film version of the ANH main title has this great historic feel to it as it was the first time audiences got to experience it.

And I, too, love the TPM main title (even though it is also the recording they used for AOTC). It brings back so many memories of the summer of '99.

9. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    ANH's opening theme sounds much more powerful than the other opening themes of the series.

10. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "For some reason, when I hear that hollow sound right as the fanfare fades away, all the excitement of that summer comes back, and I feel like I am sitting in a theater, bubling over because I GET TO SEE IT AGAIN..."

Duuuude, you too??? Cuz, man, TPM's awesome, quick string cue as the Repulic Transport rockets toward the Trade Federation Battleship. And you're right, it's not the actual string cue, it's after that! And the word you used, "hollow" perfectly describes it.

That's THE only cue in ALL of Star Wars that makes me remember the theater. The smell, the *silverness* of the imagine (sounds weird, I know).

Ahhhh... \\nostalgia\\ :D

11. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    totally!

so nice to be understood...

I love the way it works within the movie, with the very quiet series of cues and themes thrown in, with the excitement just bubbling up until you get the two lightsaber blades going up in the fog. Then the music just rockets you into the next 20 minutes of the movie....genius in pacing there.

12. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I also prefer the TPM opening "theme".

The part I always remember is that creepy music when Gunray says "Yes, yes, of course... as you know, our blockade is perfectly legal, and we'd be happy to receive the Ambassador.".

IMO, TPM has a very good opening.

13. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I liked ROTJ's opening scene. It sounded really mysterious/creepy, and Vader's theme was a plus. "The Emperor is coming here?" "That is correct, Admiral. And he is most displeased with your lack of progress." "We shall double our efforts."
    Great liners there. ;)

14. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    I also prefer the ROTJ opening theme,The Main Title's feel so powerfull and "Approaching The Death Star" is one of my favorite tracks,it feels so military.

15. Shloz

Shloz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2001
    It's close, but I will say ROTJ, even tho the actual track was slightly edited in the film (listen closely; it jumps!). The strings bit as the shuttle lands is really neat (especially since in the film you hear it in the background along with the landing bay alarms).

IMHO, ROTJ had the best version of the Main Theme, too. The tympani "boom" at the very start, like some kind of explosion, the full string complement of the opening chord, and the wonderful horn work towards the end.

16. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Return of the Jedi, Approaching the Death Star.

17. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    id give it up to TPM, so mysterious!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.