main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC What is the best order to watch the Star Wars series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by PrincessLucyLeia, Feb 5, 2015.

1. PrincessLucyLeia

PrincessLucyLeia Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2015
    Hi Everybody. This is my first post so I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask my question or even if I'm doing it right! but here it goes...

Im sure this question gets asked a lot, but when watching Star Wars, its obvious that many of us fans disagree over watching the saga in chronological order...Its been suggested to me that watching Star Wars in order of - 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 is the best way to experience Star Wars.

What order does everyone suggest/prefer?!

I look forward to your suggestions! :)

TX-20 likes this.
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Edited prefix from Social to SWC.

3. Tomifonication

Tomifonication Jedi Knight

Apr 20, 2014
    Hi PrincessLucyLeia! I hope you're enjoying your time here!

For me, I watch in the order of 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, skipping episode 1.

In this order, you're introduced to Star Wars in its original release order. You follow Luke Skywalker from his humble life as a moisture farmer on Tatooine, through to his encounter with R2D2 and C3PO and consequentially, Ben Kenobi, Han Solo, Chewbacca and your namesake, Princess Leia. As the first film goes on, you're introduced to the series' main antagonist, Darth Vader, who supposedly killed Luke Skywalker's father, Anakin, during the Clone Wars with Ben Kenobi, when he was known as Obi-Wan Kenobi. Of course, Obi-Wan is eventually struck down by Vader, and the Death Star is destroyed. Skipping forward, at the end of Episode V, we discover that Darth Vader is in fact Anakin Skywalker, or at least, he is Luke's father, and the Anakin that existed is no more.

At this point, I don't go onto Episode VI to complete the saga, but rather leave with the cliffhanger that we now know Anakin Skywalker - Darth Vader, is Luke's father, and that Obi-Wan manipulated the truth for some reason. Instead of going back to the start of the prequel trilogy (PT), and watching Episode I: The Phantom Menace, I skip this for few reasons:

• Jar Jar Binks is a stupid character.
    • There's no need to detail Anakin's young life, nor the trade blockade of Naboo. Or Darth Maul, even though he was cool as ****.
    • Jar Jar Binks is a stupid character.
    Instead, I start with Episode II, which sees an adolescent Anakin Skywalker struggling with personal struggles of love and loss, during the build up to Clone Wars, with his master; Obi-Wan Kenobi. In Episode II, of course Anakin falls in love with Padmé Amidala, and begins his eventual transition to Darth Vader, through the fear of losing Padmé, which eventually comes to a climax in Episode III when his fear of losing her is what eventually leads to her death during childbirth, and his shift to the Dark Side to prevent it.
    Following the end of Episode III, once the Jedi Order has been exterminated, Anakin Skywalker has 'died' and Darth Vader born, I then watch Episode VI which details the eventual conclusion of the saga, now that we understand the reason that Darth Vader exists, and how he supposedly killed Luke's father.
    Hope this helps! Feel free to ask questions.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Here we go again... [/3P0voice]

Start with Ep IV, progress on to V and VI, prequels are optional.

Thuro likes this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Welcome PrincessLucyLeia!

You've already mentioned the order they were released 4, 5, 6 and then 1, 2. 3. You may wish to start that way, because the stories flow into each other.

These days, it's all about characters for me, so I jump around depending on what character(s) I wish to focus on.

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Play the Old Republic games, then watch episodes 1 and 2, then the Clone Wars film and both of the series, then episode 3, then the Rebels series and then episodes 4, 5 and 6.

I'm joking of course. I watch them from 1 to 6, but I guess George Lucas made them to watch in the order that they were made.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  7. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I rarely if ever watch even a trilogy all the way through. I just watch whichever individual movie I feel like at the given time. Usually Episode III, IV or V.

[​IMG]

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Do you avoid Episode VI because the death of a one Mr. B. Fett too much for you to bear. :p

9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Actually it's more because I don't like the Ewoks taking out one of the Emperor's best legions. :p When I was younger and we had the OT on VHS (because back then all there was was the OT) I used to watch what we called the 15 minute version of Return of the Jedi. My family and I would just watch the starfighter battle over Endor and the lightsaber fight aboard the Death Star and fast forward through everything else.

[​IMG]

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Nice. I do think that Mr. B. Fett's death at the hands of the Sarlac was kind of weak.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  11. ToastedBread

ToastedBread Jedi Padawan

Feb 11, 2015
    I would do IV, V, VI, I, II, III.
    It's like travelling back in time but finding out you can't change the past coz' you've already lived the future.
    If that makes sense. :D

Force Smuggler and Sarge like this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the order you watch should be based on your expectations, i.e., whether you want continuity versus wanting to view the story from the original moviegoer perspective.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
  14. Sarlacc of Carkoon

Sarlacc of Carkoon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2015
    I would watch Originals, then Prequels. However the Sequel trilogy would get stuff messed up.

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't think so. The three most popular orders (chronological, release, "flashback") would still apply, just with three more episodes added in

16. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    For first time viewers, watch the original versions of the classic trilogy if possible. If you can't, then watch the films in chronological order.

17. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    When I saw the saga for the first time, the order was I, II, III, IV, V and VI. But now I just watch the movie I feel for. Mostly the PT.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    You may wanna see the Ewok Adventure films as well. The second one Battle for Endor was actually pretty good. They take place between Episode IV and V. You could watch them after you watch EPisode IV. They are a great substitude to the prequels and give you another intro to the Ewoks.

jahyeshua likes this.
  19. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    For me its: IV, V, II, 2003 CW volume 1, 2008 TCW CGI movie, 2008-2013 TCW CGI show, 2003 CW volume 2, III, VI, then I guess the Sequel trilogy will follow.

EDIT: I start prequel content after watching ESB and skip TPM altogether.

20. TastyTHC

TastyTHC Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2015
    Hello all :)
    I am new to starwars, besides seeing the phantom menace when I was six!

What is the best way to watch them now? 4,5,6,1,2,3 or 1-6?
    Thanks!

Bardan Edit: This thread has been done before. Merging now. Please run a search before creating a new thread, especially if you suspect that the topic has been covered previously.

21. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

For now, I think either is fine. When 7 comes out, I would go from 1-7 (probably). It depends on how much you know in terms of spoilers, though. If you literally know nothing, go 4-6, 1-3, because you find out things in the Originals that are explained further in the Prequels.

Sarge likes this.
  22. study888

study888 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    I recommend the Koivopolo order (My new last name) because it is mysterious and not too revealing at first, keeps one guessing for a long time, is satisfying to first timers and old timers alike and packs a powerful punch:

I,IV,II,VII,V,III,VI,VIII,IX

Now if a first timer doesn't mind being spoiled or already knows a certain unnamed fact, then please, please, please go with I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    If you don't know the certain unnamed fact, shouldn't you go with release order?

Sarge likes this.
  24. study888

study888 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Yes. But also if you don't know it the Koivopolo Order may be better than the release order.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    In the rare event I actually try to watch all the movies I do basically the machete order (which I do think is the best way to watch them)... except I start with RO

RO, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6

Sometimes I have to skip 1 and 2 because I find them pretty boring... and by the time I get to ROTJ I'm often tempted to skip the Ewoks