Senate What is the "best thing" that humans have ever done?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Darth Somnambulous Jedi Master

star 1
    Then I would agree that is much more specific and more of an accomplishment than science in general, though I still think language is a more important accomplishment due to all that it encompasses. If it were disqualified from consideration for that reason, I would then argue that literacy is our greatest achievement. Fewer than 20 countries worldwide have lower than 50% literacy and over 80% of all people in the world are literate.
    DarthBoba likes this.
  2. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    The "best thing" is still in the future, but probably not that far away. The ability to extend our lives and slow the aging process and stay young as long as possible will be the ultimate "best thing", but then overpopulation would cause this ability to slow the aging process to be something that only the rich would be able to afford.
  3. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    Stupid double post.
    Last edited by Lord_Vivec, Sep 6, 2012
  4. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    Ghost specifically mentioned no speculation of the future in the OP.
  5. ZanderSolo Force Ghost

star 3
    Penicillin (and its leading to Antibiotics)
    or
    Structure of DNA (the few years before and the few years following that encompassed the entire finding, structure, and debate)

A lot of modern medicine are direct results of these two discoveries and it's very easy to see how it's moving in even more of a microbiological/DNA route. Penicillin/AB's have allowed us to treat what would have been much higher death counts as diseases would have acted as population control from outbreaks. I'd probably go as far as saying both are direct contributors to longer life spans of today as well. Healthier individuals live longer.
  6. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    I will note here, spamming in this thread (and one line joke answers would fit that bill) will face penalties
  7. Blue_Jedi33 Force Ghost

star 5
    Built a very large boat and survived a very large flood thus allowing many species to survive, including us.
    Last edited by Blue_Jedi33, Nov 2, 2012
  8. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    This is what I was going to say...can't believe it took 44 posts to get there. Two men walking across the lunar surface is by far are most enduring and monumental achievement.
  9. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Whatever it is, it happened before humans sliced bread, I guess.
  10. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Walk on another world.
  11. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    I think its entirely possible that the best thing that humans have ever done was not killing everyone. Think about it. For almost fifty years there was a silent war between two very powerful bullying nations with the combined capacity to destroy the world eleventy jillion times over. The fact that any of us are still alive at all is a miracle.
    Darth_Invidious and jp-30 like this.
  12. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    The 'Enlightenment' aka the 'Age of Reason'. Nearly all of the 'best things' mentioned in this thread were possible because at some point in history human beings threw away their commitment to the idea that their lives could be determined by some 'divine' force represented on earth by kings and priests.
  13. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    How is that true? Huge intellectual strides that rival and/or surpass the discoveries of that era were made prior to that point, without said philosophical underpinning.
  14. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    So it wasn't really an enlightenment at all, more of a dim glow? More detailed reponse to follow.
  15. honeybadger Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Discovering how to light a fire. Since that day, mankind has been able to ignite his farts.
  16. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    Mastering the fermentation process to create beer, wine, and spirits.
  17. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    the struggle for humanism and the advancement of all peoples. the fight to overcome our differences and erase our borders. the grand project to unite humanity for the good of all its children. that's what it all comes down to. this is the only project there is or ever was for a sentient, social species with a capacity to Love
    Summer Dreamer likes this.
  18. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
  19. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Archeologist

(I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, had to do it)
  20. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    I guess I should finally summarize everyone's suggestions in this thread soon, and then move completely into a debate between them. Would anybody like to offer any more suggestions first?
    DarthBoba likes this.
  21. SuperWatto Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I think I finally figured out what the best thing is that humans have done.
    They invented the toilet.

Think about it. You just sit down, do your thing, press a button and whoosh! You don't have to think about it anymore.
    While this is the stuff that killed swaths of people through cholera just a couple of lifetimes ago, because they dumped it in the rivers in which they also washed their vegetables. A mere 150 years ago, central London experienced the Great Stink.

[IMG]

So that's my vote: the toilet and our wonderful sewage system!
  22. Bib Fartuna Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Not sure what you define as "best thing" ... however achievement wise ... IMHO, occurred July 20, 1969.
    thebeanpole likes this.
  23. Lego Thrawn Jedi Master

star 1
    IMO, New York City.

And fake boobs.
    Captain Tom Coughlin and SWBob like this.
  24. Placeholder Force Ghost

star 4
    Farming and the written word. I'm not sure you can count spoken language as an accomplishment, because I think that may have been more of a natural evolution. I think language is an innate human quality as opposed to an invention. The words may be invented, but I think spoken language was an inevitability for our species.
  25. sons_of_anakin_tatooine Force Ghost

star 3
    wow did nobody mention landing on the moon? thats one of the best things are species has done
  26. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes. About 3 posts up from yours.