main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the best way to have a SW marathon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by rpeugh, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I keep trying to watch all 5 films in succession at night but I just cant do it. What is the best way to have a SW marathon? What should I take to keep myself awake? How long should I rest between each episode? Should I even rest? My parents dont like me staying in my room the whole day, so I cant do the marathon during the day. Plus, I like to watch it with headphones on, b/c the sound is better that way. With the headphones on, no one in the house would be able to get ahold of me if they needed me. Plus, with headphones, I can have the volume as loud as I want. So I like watching them at night when everybody is asleep. Anybody got any tips? I have done an OT marathon and an Indy marathon before, but not a SW saga marathon.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    All you need is a lot of Mountain Dew. And don't bother taking a break between movies, unless you need to get more to eat/drink, or if you have to use the bathroom.

3. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I make Special Coffee for something like that. When they used to show the Superbowl here in the UK in the early ninties, and now I do it for the Oscars.

Boil your water, grab a cup, and put in three spoons of coffee (not decaf). Then pour in the water. No sugar, no sweeteners, no milk, nothing else. Tastes bloody awful, but it's keep you awake. For about a month ;)

I don't know if that's not allowed in some places or not...if you can't do that, then plan it out a couple weeks in advance, so you can really psych yourself up for it.

4. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Get a BUNCH of Pepsi or, like YodaJeff said, Mountain Dew and your favorite snack, sit back and flip the changer.

After Episode I is over, take a bathroom break and maybe fluff up your couch pillows or recliner seat.

Watch Episode II and III in sync with each other. ;)

Watch Episode IV and then to fill up on snacks again (bathroom break if you need it).

Watch Episode V and VI. :)

Whip out your Thrawn Trilogy EU books and read what SHOULD BE Episodes VII VIII and IX. ;) :p

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

5. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I suggest starting after dinner if that is possible. Surely your parents won't mind if you stay in your room after dinner. If not then I can't really help you out. Watching all 5 at night would take you into the next day. Wouldn't it?

6. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    If I had snacks, then they would last about the time that Qui-Gon and obi-wan are in the room filled with gas

7. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    If your parents won't let you stay in your room all day, and you're finding it hard to stay awake at night I suggest that you plead illness - fake or otherwise - so you'll have an excuse to "rest" in your room and possibly miss a day of school for it. 8-}

-Bjork.

(Note: Bjork does not encourage faking illness in order to get out of education...but if you need a high temperature put a penny under your tongue. ;) )

8. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Well... get people to dress up as their favorite SW characters, put numbers on them, specify a start and a finish line... get a Starter's pistol, fire a round into the air and watch them run.
    You may want to organize it for charity or just for fun... if enough people get into it, maybe it could be as popular as the NYC Marathon and be a yearly event.

9. padme1967

padme1967 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    hmmmm....
    5 films in one night?????
    right, there just isn't enough time!!
    So what you need to do is make a family movie day :)
    Tell your family that it is SW day. Make it seem that all the families are doing it.
    When I was a kid(back in the olden days before cable, vcr's and dvd's) they used to only show movies once a year. So play the nostalgia card and say "Remember when they only showed: insert parent's fav movie here( The Grinch who Stole Christmas or Rudolph or Gone with the Wind or Wizard of Oz or Willy Wonka or any of the Charlie Brown specials...) once a year?"
    MTFBWY!

10. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Ho ho, Punisher brings the funny ;)

11. PantherPower

PantherPower Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    All you need is plenty of Coca-Cola and Pepsi and you should be just fine.

12. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    What was funny about that? :confused:

He asked about a marathon, I tried to help out as best I could... wait a minute.... Oh, a movie marathon!

Sorry about that! I guess I need to read more than just the titles to topics. [face_blush]

Move along... move along.

13. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    After all the movies come out on DVD (or with a *cough* pirated *cough* set of the first trilogy) including Ep III, I envision getting together with my FanForce friends and having an all day geek-out. Start at about 10:00 am, watch a movie, then play a game (card game or SW Family Feud or SW Monopoly or such), watch the second movie and so on. I'm looking at this a couple years out, obviously, but it seems so geeky that it's gotta be done! I might even invite my Trekkie and Buffy-fan friends!

14. Obi-Zon_Genobi

Obi-Zon_Genobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    Don't know I haven't done it before (I'm waiting for Ep3 first) but, the suggestion of incredibly high caffine seems like would work

15. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    It certainly does. In a bug-eyed kinda way.

Punisher - you can go about your business ;)

16. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    When the boxset is released, get yourself six DVD players and watch them all simultaneously.

17. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Oy. Then have a quiet lie-down for two days to try to recover from the sensory overload.

18. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    You could try getting loads of sleep a for a few days before you try it (so you won't be too tired) then pull an all-nighter and watch all 5 back to back.

19. Dagobah1234

Dagobah1234 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    A little off subject, but does everybody watch a Star Wars movie at one time? I will usually watch movies in chunks ( 30min here 40 min there 15 here ) Unless in a movie theater, or it's a movie I really want to see, I'll watch it all in one time. For some reason, watching it in chunks makes it more fun. Am I the only one who does this?

About the movie marathon, I've tried to watch the OT in one sitting, I only made it 3/4 through Empire. [face_shocked]

20. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I try not to watch any SW films fully through for around a month or two. If I watched them constantly, the effect is ruined, I think.

But while I choose to stagger my SW viewings in this way, I will watch little bits and pieces of all 5 films here and there whenever I feel like it.

21. Space_Cadet

Space_Cadet Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2003
    I once did a 'Dirty Harry' marathon. It also consists of 5 movies. The best way to do it is either invite your friends or tell them that you are going to be busy that night. It's been a long time since I've lived at home, but I'm sure that your parents wouldn't mind if you told them exactly why you are going to be in your room all day/night. Get everything you might need and bring it to your room. Now this is the most important: REMOVE YOUR WATCH AND TAKE YOUR CLOCK OFF THE WALL. There is no enjoying yourself until you have no idea what time it is. Think about summer vacation as a child. Wasn't that the best feeling in the world when you didn't even know what day it was?

22. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    You guys are making it sound like watching movies is tiring work. I often watch several movies in a row. Just the other night I watched Out of Africa (which is like three hours of sheer boredome) and a movie called Man in the Moon starring Reese Whitherspoon as a gangly teenager.

I am certian I could make it through all six movies in one sitting. Just take a rainy day where you have nothing else to do.

23. Dagobah1234

Dagobah1234 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'm only 13, so I remember perfectly when I couldnt remember what day it is. I love that!

As for the clock, I never thought about that. That's a good plan.

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I had a marathon the night before AOTC came out. I timed it perfectly so that TPM would end at about 10 PM that night, and I could make it down to the theatre to get in line for AOTC.

The only breaks I had were because I had to rewind the tapes, bathroom trips, and to get more food.

25. RODIMUS-PRIME

RODIMUS-PRIME Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2003
    Do it on a weekend. Friday night, stay up until about 3 in the morning, then sleep until about 1 in the afternoon on Saturday. (If you're allowed.) That will let you stay up all night Saturday night, to watch the 5 movies. It can be done, I did it myself last weekend. The only problem is, Sunday you won't want to wake up until about 3 in the afternoon, which means Sunday you won't go to bed until way past midnight, and Monday morning you won't want to get up for school. (Assuming you go to school.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.