main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the best Zelda game ever?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Stamper, Aug 27, 2002.

?

What is the best Zelda game ever?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. The Legend of Zelda (NES)

5.6%
  2. The Adventures of Link (NES)

5.6%
  3. A Link to the Past (SNES)

36.6%
  4. Link's Awakening (GB or GBC)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ocarina of Time (N64)

45.1%
  6. Majora's Mask (N64)

5.6%
  7. Oracle of Ages (GBC)

1.4%
  8. Oracle of Seasons (GBC)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stamper

Stamper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
  2. galaxy419

galaxy419 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    Good poll
    Tough choice! :)

3. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I don't tend to like Polls.

But Stamper here, his polls don't seem as redundant as normal.

Anyway, I'd have to say close call between LTTP and OOT.

But what I want to know is, what Link is it that features in the new Zelda, because I don't recall any of the Links having a sister.

Except for that sketchy Link/Zelda possibility that Miyamoto opened up at the end of OOT and throughout the story line.

4. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    If you look at all the Zelda games they never follow the same story. Each game is a differnt take on Link and Zelda. So I don't see any probs with the new game.

Also I voted foe OOT though it was a toss up between LTTP.

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Not entirely true Pat...

Despite the different stories, the game still follows a time line, I believe the Link in OOT was Link the First...

They used to have a database on Hyrule in the Land of Zelda but I've not heard much from that site in a long while.

6. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's hard to say which Link is used in the upcoming Zelda game, it's too early to tell, especially since placement is usually based on several factors (such as presence of the triforce, any references to Ganon or Ganondorf, various in-game text references, etc) that you really can't tell until you've played the game. It could be any of the existing Links or any entirely new Link. We won't be able to tell which Zelda epoch the game takes place in for awhile.

Anyways, to the topic of the poll- A Link to the Past is the best. Had the best story, the best visual style, and was just an epic, epic game that was very easy to get drawn into- not to mention the best Zelda soundtrack ever (Darkworld Overworld theme rules all). It also lacked the sense of confusion over what to do next that was the only real shortcoming of Ocarina of Time (not counting the lackluster music).

8. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, obviously the newer piece will contain more elaborate arrangements- doesn't nessasarily make it better. The one you linked to is decent, but is more passive or lazy compared to the ALTTP track I linked to. OOT doesn't have the same sense of sheer epic scope/size that ALTTP did.

I'm not meaning to say OOT was junk (I have that import orchestral soundtrack- though mainly for the last medley track of previous Zelda game themes, including the Darkworld Overworld theme ::D), but it was much more atmospheric in feel than an epic adventure in feel. Still, it had it's highlights- the Hyrule Field theme is good (although not as good as the original Overworld theme) and so is Gerudo Valley, but thats about it really.

10. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I got a buch of Zelda techno themes and the Darkworld theme is one. It's pretty cool.

11. Mace_Windo

Mace_Windo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    *breaks the Tie and puts OOT in the lead!* ^_^

18 mo'!

12. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
  13. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    A Link to the Past!!

14. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Since everyone glosses over or easily dismisses it based purely on a graphical/gameplay standpoint, I'm going with Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (the final, final, FINAL chapter in all of the Zelda timeline).

-Jomero

15. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    I still say that The Adventure of Link is a seriously underated game. It has a feel that is different than any other of the games in the series.

16. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Yeah the same feeling when you stick your hand up your arse.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, Zelda 2 is a still a great game and is usually underrated heavily. At the time it was one of the largest, hardest games available.

Not to mention the fact that the introduction of the Triforce of Coruage was about the closest thing to a religious revelation that a video game could ever hope to be to an 8-year old in the late 80's.

18. Kentucky_Cowboy

Kentucky_Cowboy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    I chose A Link to the Past.

But, there is one zelda game not on there.

I read about it in a Gaming mag about the worst games of all time. There was a zelda game in the list and it looked horrible. It looked like a cartoon with horrible voice acting.

19. Ketalis

Ketalis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    Ocarina 4 Ever!!

20. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    "Yeah the same feeling when you stick your hand up your arse."

I wouldn't know, as I never have done that nor have had the desire to. I'll just go with your pioneering effort in that field and take your word for it.

Heh heh. :D

-Jomero

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> I read about it in a Gaming mag about the worst games of all time. There was a zelda game in the list and it looked horrible. It looked like a cartoon with horrible voice acting. <<

There were three of them, actually. They were not made by Nintendo (which is why they sucked), and were made for the Philips CD-i console (which is another reason they sucked[face_batting] ) back in '93.

IGN's Hyrule Times colum reviewed the games awhile back, I'll see if I can find links to them.

EDIT-

Here they are, although please note you need to be an IGN Insider subscriber in order to access them:

Link: Faces of Evil

Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon

Zelda's Adventure

As a fun sidenote- Playstation came into being because of the CD-i: Sony had designed the Play Station X-tension (PSX) for the SNES as a counter to Sega CD. After Nintendo realized what they'd be losing from Sony's share of software profits, they went and made the deal to get Nintendo games on the CD-i, giving Sony a reason to back out of the agreement. Sony then went and began designing the PSX as a stand alone console. Definately one of the few major boneheaded moves in the Big N's history.

22. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    [image=http://insidermedia.ign.com/insider/image/link_happy_460.jpg]
    [image=http://insidermedia.ign.com/insider/image/link_zelda_460.jpg]

ROTFLMAO

23. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Where the hell did that come from?

I know there was a LoZ cartoon once, but it was nothing like that.

24. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

That cartoon looks evil as hell. Keep it away.

And I think "A Link to the Past" is the best of the bunch. Even though I never actually finished it...

25. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    A Link to the Past is definitely the best of the series. Ocarina of Time is good, but a bit overrated, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.