main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the darkest track of all six films?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Headphonekenobi, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headphonekenobi

Headphonekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    My vote goes to Padme's Ruminations, by far the most ominous music in the saga and one of the most powerful scenes as well. Very different from all the rest of the music and it could not be more perfect for a scene with almost no words that changes the pitch of the entire PT to a very dark and macabre tone.

Thoughts?

2. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I can't pick just one, but off the top of my head here are a few:

1. "The Magic Tree" (ESB)
    2. "The Dark Side Beckons" (ROTJ)
    ****in my opinion, not the part where Luke lets loose on Vader,
    but the music leading up to it. When Vader is taunting Luke.****
    3. In ROTS there is a cue that follows Anakin's immolation.
    The music playing as Anakin crawls up the enbankment and Sidious kneels beside him.
    Some of the darkest music I've ever heard in a SW film.

Oh, and I agree with you about "Padme's Ruminations" I just can't
    seem to pick just one!
    [face_peace]

3. Headphonekenobi

Sep 29, 2005
    All the Star Wars music should be heard and some good headphones before people really decide on favorites... it makes such a huge difference in the depth and detail of what is heard.

4. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    I've always thought that the Battle of Endor II- both the choir music when Luke fights back, and the Emperor's music as he electrocutes Luke, building to the finale and the fading/echoing cries, constituted the darkest music. I agree that several ROTS tracks involving the Order 66 are extremely dark, but to me that final Death Star II Throne Room confrontation still has them beat.

5. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I wouldn't consider any music from the OT to be darkest. They weren't dark films.

Definitely Anakin's Betrayal is the darkest.

6. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    ROTS's dark tone doesn't mean that every moment is dark; likewise, the OT's dark tone doesn't mean that there can't be any dark... you have to admit, that throne room scene was a pretty dark one...

7. Evil-Anakin

Evil-Anakin Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2005
    Anakin's Betrayal is the darkest of track's from all 6 Episode's.

8. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Speaking musically about a dark tone, The Immolation Scene has probably the darkest tone of all. Padme's Destiny is also a darker cue. I wouldn't call them ominous, but there is one cut off of the strings in The Immolation Scene that just sends chills down my spine. I can't say I think it's an evil theme, but it's creepy and very dark. Overall, it's my favorite cue just because it shows how much you can do simply with a strings section. You don't need much brass to make an evil theme, and Williams show's this off a lot in this piece.

~JW

9. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    There are different ways to define "dark". Perhaps "Anakin's Dark Deeds", or "Emperor's Throne Room".

10. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    1. Dark Deeds (Defenseless people are getting killed. :eek:)
    2. The Magic Tree (Terrifying, to say the least.)
    3. The Dark Side Beckons
    4. The Emperor's Death (Too bad the last part isn't used in the film.)
    5. Count Dooku Returns to Coruscant

11. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Definately Padme's Ruminations. That song is so intense and I always manage to tear up everytime I hear it.

12. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I am always creeped out by sections of "Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor", with the wordless men's choir ominously humming in the background over swirling strings.

"Anakin's Dark Deeds" is dark in a different, furious way which I find to be very powerful.

13. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    Anakin's Betrayal Hands down.

14. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I love "Shuttle Tydirium". I don't think I'd call it dark in the same sense, rather it creates a sense of the approaching storm.

And I think that the Lament from "Anakin's Betrayal" is much more sad and tragic than "dark".

Also, I think one of the darkest moments occurs right at the beginning of "Anakin's Dark Deeds" when Yoda and Obi-Wan discover the padawans killed by lightsaber. A quiet dark moment if you will, before the fury of the Separatist slaughter and the declaration of the Empire.

15. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    I would like the beginning of "Anakin's Dark Deeds" myself... if it weren't obviously lifted from the beginning of "The Treason of Isengard." Same key, same orchestration. Drives me nuts.

16. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, if by dark you mean 'gothic' dark, I'd say "The Clash of Lightsabers". Other than that, as everyone has said, it is difficult to choose.

17. Headphonekenobi

Sep 29, 2005
    "Dark" is subjective so chose how you feel best fits what "dark" means to you. Weather it be from a music theory standpoint, scene association, or just an ominous tone that puts you in the depths of the evil and macabre.

18. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    Well said, I agree!

19. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    Took the words right out of my mouth!

Agreed.
    side note: This track and "Immolation Scene" are my favorites from Episode III OST.

20. General_Kayman

General_Kayman Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2005
    Anakin's betrayal......!!!!!!!!!
    It's avery deep, dark and emotional track

21. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    There are so many. Some not even on cd yet. Honorable mentions go to the High Council Meeting on the UE TPM soundtrack. It's kinda dark for the Jedi. The Street Singer track kinda makes me uneasy too. It comes after all of that celebration music and kinda reminds us that something bad is out there. Another honorable mention goes to The Droid Invasion and the Appearance of Darth Maul. Especially the part before the Emperor's theme hits. Spooky. From AOTC comes the music played when Anakin goes psycho on the Tuskens. From ROTS comes the music played when Anakin ignites his saber at Palpatine and he feels the anger in Anakin. Also the music played after Dooku's death is kinda spooky. The last honorable mention goes to the music that plays in ROTS when Anakin tells Padme's he's not the Jedi he should be. The music completely changes the mood of that scene.

But my top ten...

10. The Clash of Lightsabers

The Imperial March sounds so evil here.

09. Palpatine's Teachings.

Well basically everything up until the end part. It's creepy evil choir coming at you.

08. Carbon Freeze / Darth Vader's Trap / Departure of Boba Fett

I always thought the parts when we saw Boba Fett and Han Solo in Carbonite were kinda dark.

07. The Immolation Scene

Perfect music to watch someone burn up with. Had they put that little bit where the Emperor arrives and kneels beside Anakin, it would have been even better.

06. Emperor's Throne Room

The Emperor's Theme is pretty creepy. The way those strings are played really enhances his demonic nature.

05. Anakin's Betrayel

Very sad music which of course makes it dark. Best moment is when the music pauses for a moment only to pick back up with more somber tones.

04. Confrontation With Count Dooku and Finale

Just about the entire track really. Dooku's landing with that choir screaming and then turning into the Emperor's Theme. Then the dark female solo followed by creepy council scene music. Then of course the Imperial March blasting at us. The love theme isn't exactly a cheerful melody during the credits either. Very ominous. But the pest part is Anakin's theme popping up to remind us that Anakin Skywalker isn't innocent any longer.

03. Anakin's Dark Deeds

Choirs seem to really enhance dark moments don't they? From the discovery of the younglings bodies to the big blow out at the end. Totally dark track.

02. The Battle of Endor II

Mainly the dark side beckons and the death of the Emperor. Once again the choirs creep me out.

01. Padme's Ruminations

Totally dark and sinister. Played over one of my favorite scenes in any SW film. The scene totally took me by surprise. The theater went dead quiet. Dark female solo's, gotta love them.

22. Headphonekenobi

Sep 29, 2005
    Excellent picks HookLineAndSinker!

You are very right about Padme's Ruminations, I went to the Midnight show and a 7pm the next day and it was the same silence... a very almost non SW darkness about that scene and the somewhat a capella fem vocals... almost reminded me of something from the likes of Black Hawk Down.

23. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    IIRC, this was an homage to Howard Shore, for his accomplishment on the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

24. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Hmm, I never heard that. I just figured it was a case of Williams following the temp-track a little too closely.

25. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    "Anakin Crawling" is quintessentially evil music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.