main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the defence between a Dark Jedi and the Sith?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Bravo, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Jaeger is either a newbie or Troll.

If he was actually fluent in the EU and "Official" Lucasfilm LTD. word, then he wouldn't be spouting out Movie Purist Hyperbole.

Plus he is spouting out Episode 2 spoilers which is completely against board lit.

2. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    The difference is easy. A Sith Lord exists.

Sorry to be dragged into your forum, but no more spoilers about Episode II please. Thanks.

3. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    There is a difference between dark jedi and sith.

The sith are an order trained in the sith teachings wheras a dark jedi is just a jedi that uses the dark side.

Anything else is a darksider, who were never trained in either sith or jedi teachings and just use the dark side.

4. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, within the fictional Star Wars universe, I see no problem with both existing. They do have fundamental differences, as said above, and they can co-exist side by side. They just don't work together.

And, certain Dark Jedi are also Sith. Darth Vader comes to mind.

"You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion."

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'd say that a Dark Jedi is a Jedi who, for whatever reason, succumbed to their feelings of fear, anger, or hatred. IMO, what differentiates them from the Sith is that while the Dark Jedi is a slave to these feelings, the Sith is the master of them.

Through millenia of study & codification, the Sith have learned the discipline necessary to master their dark side feelings, and use them to their advantage.

I mean, have you noticed that for a group of people who've given in to their hatred, anger, fear, etc., they all seem terribly calm? It's all a matter of control.

A Dark Jedi in combat would be like Luke in RotJ. A Sith in combat...well...look at the movies, especially Darth Maul's finesse.

6. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    "The difference is easy. A Sith Lord exists."

Well technically, neither exists.

7. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    One thing I've wondered...

In the Dark Forces graphic novels, the 7 Dark Jedi under the command of Jerec are sometimes, possibly erroneously, labeled just plain "Jedi" by some of the Imperial officers on the Vengeance and the Imperial base at Ruusan.

Now, some of them did in fact start as Jedi. We know Jerec was one in the past. But some of the others, especially Sariss and Yun, are quite young. Too young to be Jedi during the days of the Old Republic. Yun himself appears to only be in his early 20's.

Now, it is possible that Jerec didn't teach his students any Sith tricks. After all, he is not a Sith. Did he just train them in the ways of Jedi Knights, albeit with a dark side bend to it...hence them being Dark Jedi and nothing else?

In fact, it would be interesting if he had harnessed the power of the Valley of the Jedi and created a new Empire...one in which the actual "Jedi Knights" were molded into new, darker versions of the old protectors, policing his Empire much like Palpatine's idea of Dark Side Adepts replacing Moffs after he returned and rebuilt his forces five years later. ( Sorry for that long sentence. ) ;)

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Now, it is possible that Jerec didn't teach his students any Sith tricks. After all, he is not a Sith. Did he just train them in the ways of Jedi Knights, albeit with a dark side bend to it...hence them being Dark Jedi and nothing else?"

Well, actually we know he knew sith tricks, and read/write/spoke sith knowledge.(according to the DSSB).

One who uses sith powers isn't necessarily a sith.

We also know that two of his dark jedi, were also known as brothers of the sith. Perhaps taken from a small sith cult, like the sorceror's of tund.

Also sarris may be older than she looks. It was mentioned that she was his jedi apprentice.

May have been with him when he was out doing the archeology digs before he was captured by tremayne.

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah, I still want some kind of official explanation for that "Brothers of the Sith" thing.

Unless it is a symbloic title, as well as literal. Like saying "Brothers of the Sith". Like you say, an offshoot of the Sith Order.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Probably a sith cult. Not affiliated in any way with the "Sith Order", like the sorceror's of tund(essential chronology).

11. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Through millenia of study & codification, the Sith have learned the discipline necessary to master their dark side feelings, and use them to their advantage.

I would say that this is the difference between a Dark Jedi and a Sith. A Jedi who falls to the Dark Side and uses Dark Side abilities is a Dark Jedi (obviously). Should s/he begin to study and practice Sith writings or taken in by a Sith Master, then they would become a Sith themselves.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Should s/he begin to study and practice Sith writings or taken in by a Sith Master, then they would become a Sith themselves."

Remember that it just doesn't work exactly like that. Jedi Master Jerec an archeologist studies, knows sith knowledge.

So do many other Jedi Masters. So that alone doesn't make one a sith.

There is something else, I'm just not sure what it is right now.

But we do have evidence of groups become sith cults, but not "sith orders".

13. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

I meant primarily in conjunction with Dark Side abilities.

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Jerec had the knowledge/study in conjunction with darkside abilities.

But it still didn't make him a sith.

I still don't know what the extra bit is.(Personally, my own oppinion jerec is sith in all but name. The only dark jedi that I know of, that could classify to that level.)

We do know though that irek ismaren is out there and has become a sith cultist/accolyte.

As well, Maarek is a possible Sith Adept/Starfighter Ace. All depending on what someone wants to make him in the future according to the author.

15. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

If it looks like duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck, then I'd say that it is almost certainly, possibly, could be a duck...maybe.

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Indeed it is possible, ;).

Anyone notice how Lord Darth Bane on the back of the DSSB, looks alot like Lord Jerec?

17. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

In fact, it would be interesting if he had harnessed the power of the Valley of the Jedi and created a new Empire...one in which the actual "Jedi Knights" were molded into new, darker versions of the old protectors, policing his Empire much like Palpatine's idea of Dark Side Adepts replacing Moffs after he returned and rebuilt his forces five years later.

I this a lot. It would make for an interesting Infinities story. It would break the Rule of Two, which I don't really care for anyway, but you could create an entire saga base on the premise. Great idea, Sturm.

18. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    More like a potential lovechild of his with Michael Stipe of REM. ;)

19. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Actually, the rule of 2 would be intact. After all, they'd be "dark Jedi". :)

As far as we know, the rule of 2 is intact with Lumiya and whoever her apprentice may be.

20. jaeger

jaeger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    The two rule doesn't count with the Jedi from JK becaue simply because they choice not to observe it. Yoda says there are only two because 1) He knows the Sith now observe that rule and 2) no Jedi has fallen to the darkside. If there can always, only be two then the 50 who started the order wouldn't have been Sith either.

Now Palpatine and Maul don't have Sith amults, holocrons or us Sith magic. They use the force in the same way that the Jedi do (as Qui-Gon attested). So if the Sith were the same as the old EU had them, then either Sidious nor Maul would be Sith.

As I said DarkJedi are what the uneducated call Sith (or waht Sith were called 2001+ years before TPM).

21. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    The two rule doesn't count with the Jedi from JK becaue simply because they choice not to observe it.

Aside from their title, we don't know if Pic and Gorc are even the same Sith of the cult Palpatine and Vader were from. As Valiento said, they could be an offshoot of the "true Sith". Also, they're formerly known as Dark Jedi, along with the other 5 under the command of Lord Jerec.

Yoda says there are only two because 1) He knows the Sith now observe that rule and 2) no Jedi has fallen to the darkside.

Concerning # 2...I didn't see that in the movie? Is it on the DVD version or something?

Oh yeah. It's a theory you pulled out of your ass. [face_plain]

If there can always, only be two then the 50 who started the order wouldn't have been Sith either.

So the 50 beings who began the Sith Order, as of 2000 years before ANH, aren't Sith?

Now Palpatine and Maul don't have Sith amults, holocrons or us Sith magic.

Where does it say or show this?

So if the Sith were the same as the old EU had them, then either Sidious nor Maul would be Sith.

I see no large difference in the EU and movie Sith, other than the original Dark Lords ruling over the Sith species.

As I said DarkJedi are what the uneducated call Sith (or waht Sith were called 2001+ years before TPM).

Yeah. Okay.

22. jaeger

Dec 10, 2001
    First I'm limited about what I can say about the fallen because of AotC's spoilers.

There was no Sith race. You can agree that what GL says goes, and he said (in TPM novel) that the Sith COME INTO BEING 2000 before TPM. There is no Sith magic or relics. The Sith are just Jedi who use the darkside. Thus when a Jedi turns tot he darkside, they become a Sith.

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ha, people like you are wrong about the mandalorians, you are wrong about the Dark Jedi/sith and the EU history as well.

Very little of what you say means a darn thing to LFL continuity editors. They continue to add and link all previous written events into the overall saga, and have never thrown anything out.

The thing is you can and will be banned if you continue in this direction, for disrupting the peace.

Is it me or does Jaeger seem to have the sound and the typing style of bobobooie?

24. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Is it me or does Jaeger seem to have the sound and the typing style of bobobooie?

Noooo, really?

There was no Sith race.

I have several canon sources that say otherwise.

You can agree that what GL says goes, and he said

Well, since good old George also likes to contradict himself, I take everything with a grain of salt. (read the Annotated Screenplays and you'll find out for yourself.)

There is no Sith magic or relics.

Odd that Sith Holocron and Palpatine's own 'Book of Anger'.

The Sith are just Jedi who use the darkside. Thus when a Jedi turns tot he darkside, they become a Sith.

Says who?

25. jaeger

Dec 10, 2001
    "I have several canon sources that say otherwise" - Find me the movie where it says that or novelization that says that. However a novelization does say th SITH CAME INTO BEING 2000 years before TPM - not the 10,000 as the EU says. And as anyone on here is willing to point out - EU MUST bend to what GL says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.