main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What is the 'First Order' and the 'Resistance'?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
  2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Where were these terms stated?

Immortiss likes this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    First Order: A group of Imperials who refuse to stop fighting.

Resistence: Not sure. Isn't "resistence" a synonym for "Rebellion?"

4. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Plaques set up next to Stormtrooper/Snowtrooper/Flametrooper costumes and the X-wing model at Celebration. The Empire--or at least this faction of the remnants--is now the First Order, and the Alliance is now the Resistance (and the staple of the Resistance's fight against the First Order are the new Incom T-70 X-wings)

5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I like the First Order, they most likely got a new leader who renamed the remnants into First Order, A new Order for a new age.
    as for Resistance, it's sounds like a terrible name, aren't Rebels resistance fighter anyways and their name puts some doubt on there being a Cold War.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    My thought is that this title is a collection of words, with little context. Please elaborate.

7. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Well Rebels tend to not be a favorable term when ur describing someone not as bad as terrorists. La Resistance tends to be preferred way to describe yourself.

8. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I love the First Order's name, but I am confused as why the Rebels would need to rename themselves. One thought is that maybe this group is not related to the rebel alliance. Maybe the Resistance is a resistance movement (crazy I know) that exists within First Order controlled space, and the New Republic (or whatever it is called) is giving them military aid. A sort of cold war setting.

9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I found the info on the plaques. I looked it up.

I like the idea of the First Order. But as others said, the "resistance" is weird. If Leia is a dignitary then why are they called Resistance? Perhaps it is a group of freedom fighters battling this new first order that is set a LONG way away from the events from the OT and PT. In other words, these two factions never really got the message. I'd hate to think the Empire started all over again.

10. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    The First Sith Order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediJurist and DarthPinoy like this.
  11. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    First Order - The original empire. could mean that the current Empire was reorganized following Endor into a New Order.
    Resistance is the Rebellion obviously.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  12. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    My guess is the First Order was someone (Uber?) taking over the remeants of the empire under a new branch that's a bit different from what palatine did. The resistance is a bit odd since its the same thing as an rebellion.

13. snackynak

snackynak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 19, 2006
    Something I posted in another thread:
    My theory about the first order and the resistance is this:
    Without palpatine's dark influence over the empire, the galactic senate reformed to take control of the chaos with the backing of a good sized portion of the imperial military, perhaps redesignated as the republic. The rebel alliance dissolves, as now the empire has been reformed as the republic again and under senate control. Perhaps some of the old rebel leaders are taken into the former imperial military. The republic however, is still very fragile and very corrupt. The first order is a growing underground movement within the republic military to bring back the structure of the old empire. The resistance, could also be a underground sub faction of the republic.
    Or something.

14. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    The First Order is probably a part of the new republic that, due to civil unrest, wanted to consolidate the remaining powers of the empire for the sake of "peace," and the resistance wants to retain the new republic which fell apart years after Jedi.

Those are my guesses.

15. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Please excuse the lack of context in the OP @Jedi Merkurian. I was alluding to these plaques on display at Celebration. If you think editing will help, by all means.[face_peace]
    [​IMG]

16. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Rebellion is something usually out in the open, while 'The Resistance' seems more like when your home country has been invaded and under enemy control, you try to sabotage them in secret.

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yup, resistance makes me think of the French and Yugoslav resistance during WWII. I love the idea of even more clandestine rebel group.

First Order is just creepy in all the right ways.

18. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    I do like the idea of rebranding some of the classic SW characters. If the Empire is now known as The First Order, how about rebranding the Sith?

The Sith are now called Dark Siders!

Kylo Ren - Darth Sider Supreme of the First Order!

This way you can reinvent the Sith. The Dark Siders are not Sith although they're similar. But as they're not Sith they have no need to follow the old Sith Ways. Basically this means Abram/Kasdan can make it up as they go along and no-one will complain! :D

Does this make any sense? I dunno! [face_tee_hee]

CoolyFett likes this.
  19. powerpackers90

powerpackers90 Jedi Padawan

Apr 5, 2015
    here's my take on it.

The Empire (The new order) fell some time after RotJ. The New Republic is basically like the UK were it's a democracy, But Leia is the Queen. hence it being dubbed "The 2nd Order" and The Empire is "The First Order". sometime before the movie the War started again, and thanks to Kylo Ren being a force user. The First Order took control of The Galaxy again, but don't rule it yet. and The Republic's Army is a Resistance to them.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love the names. It's different but similar. "The more things change, the more they stay the same." I think it's likely the Empire fell and this new regime (First Order) rose up in its place; the blurb for Aftermath sort of hints that the Empire might not last long. But from the ashes of the Empire this First Order rises. The Rebel Alliance changes its name to "the Resistance" possibly because it sounds more...I don't know, Resistance just sounds less "teenager-immature-petulance" than Rebellion does. They as a faction have matured and changed. But "Resistance" to me also implies being willing to do some things that "Rebel Alliance" doesn't; hence they're apparently willing to create super-weapons and use them.

21. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I would hope the Rebel Alliance did more than just win one major battle. Calling themselves The Resistance leads me to believe either the war was won, then re-fought and lost...or it never resolved. They hold key planets, but not a majority of systems. The old Empire/First Order retains a grip on large swathes of Old Republic space, and the "new" Republic lacks legitimacy to call itself that. Hm.

Immortiss and DarthPinoy like this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm thinking along similar lines only perhaps instead of the First Order rising from the ashes of the Empire and the Rebel Alliance being reorganized as the resistance what if the Rebel Alliance IS the First Order or more precisely what they turned themselves into. I'm thinking of French Revolution where after they deposed the king they turned power over to the Committee of Public Safety and basically became just another dictatorship.

What if this is where we're at in TFA. The radical elements of the Rebel Alliance were given control and created the First Order. The resistance are the leaders like Leia who see what the Rebellion has become and decide to fight it.

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Edited OP to give proper frame of reference [face_coffee]

24. wasoha

wasoha Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2015
    So I was at Celebration today but I was having so much fun already just wandering around that I winged it. I thought I had just about wandered the whole convention but I get home and see there was an exhibit showing off costumes and props from the new movie! I believe that's where these pictures in the thead come from, right?

I missed it but Ill be back Saturday. Where can I find it?!

Immortiss likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In this case, why does the First Order use armor and starfighters that look like those of the Empire? Wouldn't any faction that came from the Rebels avoid the trappings of the Empire?

CoolyFett, Immortiss and Pearlexative like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.