main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What is the 'First Order' and the 'Resistance'?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    After the fall of the Roman empire, various factions struggled unsuccessfully to return it to its glory days all the way up until Mussolini & WWII. Everyone give this a read if you haven't already:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/New_Republic/Canon

After the death of Emperor Palpatine, chaos ensued as hinted at by George's revised ending to ROTJ. The First Order is exactly what the name implies: the first real threat to reclaim complete control of a splintered galaxy. Somehow they either inherited or acquired the services of the former Imperial Academy & Sienar Systems.

As I have long speculated; at some point the New Republic dissolved and The Resistance is what remains.

FilmAccountant likes this.
  2. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
  3. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Even the Thrawn trilogy describes the New Republic as the provisional government or council in its earliest formation. This could also be a reference to the Resistance.

4. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    With the description of the First Order as a junta, i wonder if they took control of the New Republic Government. The Resistance could have been founded after the takeover.

DaddlerTheDalek and dekaneas like this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The First Order will probably be destroyed/suffer huge loses in Ep 7, but then in Ep 9 we'll see the beginning of a fully armed and operational Second Order.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  6. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    Are not there not several Imperial juntas in the galaxy beyond the First Order? There have to be other warlords out there controlling their own territories. I imagine some of them might even be allied with the New Republic.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

That could be something we see in Episode VIII. What if the First Order was like Zsinj's "empire" in Legends? They are the strongest, most vicious of the Imperial remnants, that they either force the other former Imperials to join with the New Republic/Resistance or at least form an alliance. It would be interesting to see Stormtroopers battling Stormtroopers and Star Destroyers battling other Star Destroyers.

8. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    Going with this it might be we see old storm trooper armor fighting new armor from the First Order and different types of Star Destroyers as different factions fight in the Imperial Civil War.

9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    While the Empire had a sense of a 'neutral ideology' (i.e. many ideologies existed within it, much like the British or Russian Empires) with no real 'political party' ruling the Empire. Within the Empire you could have had many people, with many different ideas, under an oppressive regime. In contrast the First Order seems to have a specific ideology (much like North Korea or Nazi Germany) centred around militarism as well as fascism, making them far more ghastly than the Empire. It will be interesting if their specific ideology is explored.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  10. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    I think there'll be multiple "Orders" (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc....) but the ST will focus on the First Order primarily, because Kylo Ren is involved directly with that particular one. Maybe the different Orders were established by the KoR.

11. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I don't think the ideology will be too complicated in the films. The believers in the First Order are simply people who believed that the problem was that there was a Rebellion and the Empire never got to be "perfect" because of that.

The Rebellion taking down the Empire probably ruined a lot of people's lives, who were just happy to have an Empire to take care of them, and the Rebels were likely seen as the bad guys. Or, the Empire may have been awful, but it was their awful empire and the Rebellion took that away from them.

The overall goal of the Empire was controlling every single being in the Galaxy by fear, and that was ultimately corrupted by the people at the very top who abused that control with their own selfishness (ultimately what makes Sith evil). I think the very top level of the junta will probably fall prey to the same vices as people like Kylo Ren rise through the ranks.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm just gonna say they missed an opportunity to release a perfume line called "First Odor".

13. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    If there are to be multiple factions beyond the First Order like the second,third and even fourth order. Will we see them in Episodes VIII and IX and beyond to Episodes X-XII???

14. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

Who knows. Possibly. If that's even the case, we just don't know yet.

15. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    Not sure if this was already posted on this forum, but here's our first look at the Resistance Trooper. I'm glad that we finally see some new Resistance stuff, it actually interests me a bit more than the First Order at this point since we've seen nothing of it.

[​IMG]

Immortiss, I know, dekaneas and 2 others like this.
  16. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    the resistance seems like it'll be a bit cooler than the rebellion in the ot was lol.

17. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    I think the New Republic and Resistance exist as separate entities. The Resistance is more willing and open to fighting the First Order whereas the New Republic wants to stay out of any war and maintain the territory it controls. Leia's Resistance is therefore not supported by the New Republic, officially anyway.

18. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Hmm... it occurs to me that the First Order may not be a political group so much as a formation within the Imperial Military. Each Order could therefore be a larger command, a collection of Fleets and Armies under one commander... who in turn is under the command of Supreme Leader Snoke.

Whoa... it just occurred to me. What do you call a collection of Knights? An Order.

Each 'Order' is led by a Knight of Ren (Or perhaps more than one Knight of Ren), which are in turn under the command of Supreme Leader Snoke. Therefore the First Order's full name would be 'The First Order of the Knights of Ren'. Supreme Leader Snoke is the Supreme Ruler, and each Order is a little 'fief' for the Knights under his command.

19. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Interesting hit and run...
    [​IMG]

Tommytom, I know and nightangel like this.
  20. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm beginning to like what seems to be the dynamics of the galazy post ROTJ.

The First Order: A military fasict dictatorship the takes over after the defeat of the Empire. Order itself seems to be a big theme here. After the empires defeat there's a lack of true order in the galazy. It's lawless. We see this in the savage scavenger worlds were introduced to, and the pirate gangs who now have more power. The military then steps in to take control on this non-order state. I can see why perhaps that a large sector of people would support such a system, even though it's still evil and enslaving. They're desperate for civilization, even if it's a bad one. The First Order is extactly that; the first attempt to bring a new sense of order to the galaxy. (The galaxy's evoltion goes from democracy, to empire, to un-order/attempt to reorder galazy.... The next step I think will lead to a full fledged true new republic by end of the ST. It's a long road..)

The Knights of Ren: I'm guessing these guys are like the SS of the first order. They're essentially cops, with perhaps an admiration for cultist force power, who enforce the new order and its attempt to bring law back to the galaxy. Kilo Ren may have even more selfish plans and may not have a true devotion to Snoke or whomever is the orders leader.

The resistance: A group which seeks to resist that military order. These are no longer freedom fighters rebelling against an imposing imperial system, the are resisting new order.

The jedi order; unknown as of know what stage Lukes attempt to start a new jedi priesthood but I'll assume this order will be made by STs end and will be instrumental in freeing the Galaxy and bringing about the new republic order

21. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015
    I'm hoping the First Order is just one of a few different factions that sprung up after the fall of the Empire. It would be cool to see multiple sides in a loose feudal Galactic Confederacy of sorts.

22. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    I wonder if a New Republic even exists at this point, and say 15 years ago whatever Government had started has long since been toppled, or given the term resistance that the new Republic is having their space occupied by the First Order.

23. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015
    I read somewhere, can't remember where now, that the old Rebel Alliance from the OT is now known as just "The Alliance" or "The Galactic Alliance", something like that anyway. I believe the "Resistance" is a group of freedom fighters within "The Alliance", or affiliated with them in some way. I'm not 100% sure about this, but i do remember reading this somewhere.

24. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    "Hit-and-run tactics is a tactical doctrine where the purpose of the combat involved is not to seize control of territory, but to inflict damage on a target and immediately exit the area to avoid the enemy's defense and/or retaliation. Such raids are meant to have a psychological effect on the enemy's morale." - Wikipedia article on hit-and-run tactics

Immortiss likes this.
  25. Jorus C'Baoth 2882

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 18, 2015
    Don't let MAD Magazine hear you. I guarantee that'll be what they call the First Order when they write up a spoof of TAF. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.