main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the greatest game you have ever seen?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    For me it was the Eagles-Packers

4th & 26.

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I hate you.

EDIT: the greatest game I've ever seen was game 7 of the 2001 world series.

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Fixed.

ND-Miami in 1988 (31-30) for me, hands down. Though Nebraska-Miami in the Orange Bowl (same final score, oddly enough) in 1984 or 85 was probably just as good.

The classic Dolphins-Chargers playoff game in the early 80s for the NFL.

And yeah, except for the ending, that 2001 WS game 7 was pretty amazing.

4. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    In person: a wild back and forth affair between the Braves and Mets at Shea on May 19th where Cliff Floyd tied the game in the bottom of the 12th with a solo home run and David Wright won it in the 14th with a double over Andruw Jones' head.

On TV: It would probably have to be Game 7 of the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals. Unlike when the city's baseball or football teams play for titles, this one united us in euphoria (and sort of made up for the Knicks losing to the Rockets).

5. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Super Bowl XXXVI

2002 World Series Game 5

Ohio State-Miami Fiesta Bowl

4th & 26 Game.

USC at Notre Dame 2005

2006 AFC Championship Game

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Game 7 of the 2001 Series was remarkable, and must go down as one of the best baseball games ever played. Jim Caple once wrote a lengthy article on it, and he explained how small nuances of the game, like Steve Finley's running catch of Shane Spencer's drive in the 7th inning helped Arizona win.

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I agree with you, KW. Game 7 of the 2001 World Series was one of the greatest baseball games I've seen. Since I'm a Philly guy, I've got to include 4th & 26. ;)

8. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Speaking of Finley, one of my brother's greatest memories at a game has to be Todd Pratt's home run going just over his glove to clinch the NLDS. Shea was literally shaking after the ball cleared the fence.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    one more foot for Jay Bell's shot in the 8th or so and there never would have been a home run by Pratt. It would have been a three run homer for Bell, and almost certainly a 9 inning victory.

But i digress :p.

10. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    The snow game/tuck rule game.

Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS.

11. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002

probably superbowl xxiii.

12. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    in person: Clemson's 118-116 win over Wake Forest in 3ot back in 2003 or 2004

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    My brother's state hockey championship game.

Colts/Pats Conference championship game 2007

1999 Stanley Cup Final. Stars/Sabres went into at least 3 OT's

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    In person: The most memorable was probably the USC comeback against Cincy in the late 90s (I forget the year) when they trailed for all 40 minutes of the game (or at least from the first point scored until the final buzzer sounded) and won on a buzzer beating shot.

Overall... I'm still thinking about it.

15. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    for games in which I didn't have a rooting interest, USC-Texas in the 2006 Rose Bowl and Duke-Kentucky in the 1992 Elite Eight

16. Jeedai_Veila

Jeedai_Veila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    In person: Red Sox beating the Rangers 25 to 9. Yes you read that correctly.

Overall: The Pats winning the Superbowl in 2001. What an exciting game!

17. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Game 7 of the 2001 World Series(even being a Yankee fan was a great game)
    Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. That whole series was wild.
    Pats-Colts 2007 AFC Championship Game(that would be listed as 2007 and not 2006 right?)
    Oklahoma-Boise State

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

18. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Liverpool's amazing come from behind victory to defeat AC Milan in the 04-05 Champions League final.

19. Darth Mace

Darth Mace Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    For me, I'd actually say the 1994 game between Auburn and Florida. To set the stage, Florida was ranked #1. The Ol' Ball Coach is there and they never lose at the Swamp where this game was played (didn't Spurrier only lose like 3 or 4 games in his career in the Swamp?). Auburn is riding a 16 or 17 game winning streak and is ranked #9. This game literally went back and forth like just about no other game I've ever seen. I can't remember the specifics but the score just about literally went 3-0, then 3-7, then 10-7, then 10-14, etc. At the time, I think it may have been a record for number of lead changes in a single game (at least an SEC record anyway). Auburn is down 33-29 with about a minute or so left, converts a 4th and 10 on their way down the field for the winning touchdown. I'm biased because of the outcome, but I specically remember saying out loud before that 4th down conversion that no matter what happens, this is the best football game I've ever seen. And it got better when the Tigers won!

Best game I attended in person has to be the 2006 version of Auburn vs. Florida just becasue of the atmosphere in the stadium that night. And it's just a bit sweeter now that it was Florida's only loss on their way to a national title.

Best game I should have been at would be the 2001 verison of Auburn vs. Florida where UF was ranked #1 and AU about #119. Florida literally should have won about 62-0 so I turned down a ticket that was offered to me only to watch Auburn pull and absolute shocker winning with a field goal as time expired.

20. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I sat up and watched that with a mate. It was briliant :D .

Also, I was at the AFL game where Essendon came from 61 points down halfway through the second quarter against the Kangaroos and won by 12 - biggest comeback to win in AFL history [face_dancing] .

21. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Best Game I was physically there: 1992 Sugar Bowl Alabama vs Miami

It was much like this years NC game between Ohio State and Florida. No one gave Alabama any shot to win the game. Alabama won. #12.

Also contained one of the best college football plays of all time:

George Teague's "The Strip"

Link to 14 second YouTube

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.