main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the KEY to the entire saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Tion_Meddon, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The question was: "Is there one thing, in your opinion, that is the "key" to understanding the entire saga?"

In order to understand all the choices, you must understand love. All the hate, anger and fear in the saga comes from love. Love is the genesis of the darkness, as well as the solution.
    As you said yourself, all the four choices you presented would be based on love.

That's all I'm saying.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Well like Master Qui Gon states,Love is the answer to the darkness.

The key to the entire saga is that even the best person can turn bad,and the evil will consume you and change you.

3. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I believe the key to the entire saga is the acceptance of one's fate. And to illustrate this look at the comparisons of Anakin's plight to that of Oedipus. As the whole theme of Oedipus the King, is that one cannot escape their destiny:

~Laius order Oedipus killed b/c it was prophesiczed that he would be killed by his son, and his son would marry his mother, Laius' wife. So in order to avoid his fate, he had his son killed.

~However, the shepherd who was ordered to murder felt guilty. In order to avoid murdering the baby, and having the baby fulfill his destiny brings him to another kingdom, where he lived as a prince.

~Oedipus learns from the Oracle of Delphi that he was fated to kill his father and marry his motherm, and and be the founding father of a terrible house. Distraught at this news, he leaves, never to return to Cornith, thinking that he will be able to escape his destiny.

~On his way, he approaches a crossroads where he encounters his father. An arguement ensues, and he kills his father, fulfilling the first part of his destiny triology.

~Shortly after his arrival in Thebes, the sphinx comes, bringing death and disease w/ her, until someone can answer her riddle. Jocasta's brother, temporary ruler, promises the throne and his sister to anyone who can answer the riddle, which Oedipus does. As reward, he marries his mother, fulfilling the second part of Oedipus' destiny.

~Later on, there is another plague that befalls Thebes. Oedipus asks, what can be done to end this horror, and is answered, that the murderer of Laius. After an investigation, ans discussion of prophecies. Oedipus realizes what he has done. Jocasta hangs herself, Oedipus blinds and exiles himself.

~Following their father's exile, his has divides and his sons fight and kill one another, and Oedipus brother-in-law, and new ruler of Thebes, condems his niece Antigones, for burying her brother. Fulfilling the final part of Oedipus' destiny.

Now how does Ancient Greece correspond to gffa? Glad you asked. GL, when he wrote Star Wars, simply took classic mythology and placed them in a new setting: Space. He uses the same themes which includes the acceptance of fate

~On his return to Tatooine, Anakin searches for his mother. He finally finds her, as she is about to die from the torture of Tusken Raiders. She accepts her fate, and is ready to die. Anakin cannot escpae his mother's fate, nor anyone's. He wants to prevent people from dying, a fate that awaits everyone. His refusal to accept his mother's fate, starts him down the darkside.

~And the pt, is not the only time GL uses fate as a theme. When does Obi-Wan become more powerful Darth Vader? When he meets his fate and becomes one w/ the force. He knew it was his fate, and that is why he left Luke, as their fate layed on different planes.

Please do not post spoilers outside of the Spoilers Only thread, even if you do black them out.

4. Darth_Desolate

Darth_Desolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    family, if it wasn't for luke, the galaxy would be screwed.

5. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    family, if it wasn't for luke, the galaxy would be screwed.

That'll probably sum it up for me. The union of two people, producing offspring that would change the course of the Galaxy (to the good).

6. dylan24601

dylan24601 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2004
    Sex. Seriously, forget this love junk. Star Wars= pure, hardcore ****ing.

7. Ares505

Ares505 Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2004
    I think the key here is good old fashioned 'good triumphs over evil'. Certainly this is what gets you a movie audience, and its been done throughout history. This is what happens at the end of ROTJ is it not? There is no doubt its one fighting the other in a GFFA. This is Star WARS after all. And in the GFFA Lucas goes to great length to make both sides easily destinguished(I dont buy the 'Anakin is Gray' idea, hes good in TMP, bad by AOTC and stays that way till ROTJ when you guessed it, good triumphs over evil). Love motivates some characters actions, but the love is different in form for many of them, and I dont think you can say Sidious for example is motivated by love, maybe love of power but thats pushing it IMO. Again and again we see this good vs. evil clash with jedi vs. Sith, Rebellion vs. Empire. More often than not the good guys are portrayed as the underdog, and yet Anakin is 'redeemed', the Sith eradicated, both those death stars destroyed, etc. etc. I think the whole 'underdog can win' theme is an important subset of the good vs. evil story. Overall it makes for an exciting, uplifting prose, the kind people have been coming up with since the days of David vs. Goliath.

8. adjudicator_s

adjudicator_s Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2005
    i think the key is love.
    vader's love has saved the galaxy after all.

9. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    relationships

10. darthmalice2000

darthmalice2000 Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2005
    Di eachi woka and geetings....ect.
    The plot/story line somewhat emulates the older martial art movies by Golden Harvest and Run Run Shaw. Those movies demonstrated some incredible sword play, usually by a student whose skill level exceeds their master's.
    The drive for the hero is vengence( the villanous empire) and love( fortunately exposing strenghts and weaknesses).
    What's Ironic is how the mind takes center stage in both
    star wars and martial arts movies( focus, feel, patients). These movies seek enlightenment from it's movie goers. This is just my feel for the movies. If I made an action- love epic that embeded imagination this formula is great, Lucas.

11. Captain_Fett

Captain_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2002
    Surrending to hate will destroy you. Keeping your emotions in check leads to balance.

12. _Ne0

_Ne0 Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2005
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
    Let it all go: Fear, doubt, and disbelief.
    FREE YOUR MIND!

13. durty_mynock

durty_mynock Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    I think the key is the childhood spirit.seriously. The most of the SW fans aren't *really* mature...( just see the humor section at theforce.net...ahem) Lot of people think the Key is love: that's because love is importante for child. there is too family, friends, the diference between Good and Evil, magic (the Force): all this thing are importante for a child.

and if you are not comitted, remember Yoda: 900 years old, but always young he is

14. General-Porkins

General-Porkins Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2005
    You can't have good without evil....
    Betterment through retribution I believe is the theme of the Star Wars saga... Deconstruction allows renewal. You can't be courageous unless you are afraid.
    Anakin's struggle in the Prequel Trilogy mirrors the events set in to motion by Vader and the Emperor in the Original Trilogy, creating balance, redemption, and enlightenment.
    Cleansing the "force" in three easy steps.
    1-Destroy the bloated Republic and it's vainglorious demigod protectorate.
    2-Create an evil Empire that rules with tyranny thru fear.
    3-Motivate a small resistance to bring forth change thru courage.

The galaxy purified. Balance restored. Everything tastes better.

The Notorious J.E.K.
    (There can be only one)

15. jade405

jade405 Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2004
    Love, definitely, but also choice.

And on the topic of choice, the fact that no one decision is the last.
    So Anakin chose the dark side, became Vader, but despite Yoda and the Jedi thinking that was the end for him(forever will it dominate your destiny), ROTJ shows that one wrong choice doesn't close all doors. It certainly didn't close the door to the love for his son, which prompted him to renounce the Dark Side - a choice, which redeemed him.

16. BescinPrix

BescinPrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2004
    Agree with Jade405 I do!

Welcome to the boards, by the way, seeing as this was your first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.