main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the Living Force?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Siriiven, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siriiven

Siriiven Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    Any quotes or info on what it is compared to "the force?"

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Moving to Saga.

3. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Obi Wan- Master Yoda told me to be mindful of the future?
    Qui Gon- But not at the expense of the moment. Be mindful of the Living Force. Keep your mind in the here nad now, where it belongs.

To me, that's implying a division in the way the Jedi look at the Force. The Living Force is the dynamic "here and now" aspect. Life is what generates the Force and makes it grow, as Yoda and Obi Wan both tell Luke.

This implies another perspective, which I think the is expand on outside the films as the Unifying or "cosmic" Force- the bigger picture of the Force that binds the galaxy together, through which you can see "the past, the future, old friends long gone."

The "unifying" aspect must be what deals with destiny, but it's the Living Force that actually has an effect in the moment- that gets manipulated for telekenesis and can influence mind and midichlorians.

Qui Gon is an interesting character- on one hand, he seems like an ideal Jedi- compassionate, and doing what must be done. On the other, we seem him making some odd choices- cheating Watto on a game of chance, or tricking Boss Nass to give him a submarine. And we hear that he does not follow the Jedi Code particularly well. Surely it's this kind of grey area, of making a questionable choice for the greater good, that Anakin struggles with in ROTS, and his subsequent bad decisions which lead him to the Dark Side?

The other thing about Qui Gon is that, although he appears to be making "good" choices in TPM, he is actually unknowingly assisting Palpatine with his plans, as a result of not taking heed of his padawan at the start of TPM. By the time of AOTC, the Jedi's vision is clouded by the Dark Side, and they are revealed as being overly confident and reliant on their knowledge of the bigger picture- forced into working from Qui Gon's perspective.

4. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    his knowledge of the living force is what eventualy gets him to become a force ghost, because no other jedi did it and its probaly becuase they care bout the cosmic force.

5. Chameleon102

Chameleon102 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    I don't think Qui-Gon's 'ascension' comes from his adherence to the Living Force. Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin do it Something about the Whills, yes?

I don't think that the Living Force and the Unifying Force are two different things, merely different interpretations of the same thing. Like God is said to be Destroyer and Redeemer, He is both of these and more in the same being, yeah? It's points of view on the same thing - being mindful of the present versus complete detachment.

6. Adegan_Cabol

Adegan_Cabol Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    The ability of being Force but keep the conscience is an ability that Qui_Gon discovered because he was mindful of the present , often detachs , and had compassion.

But also Yoda teachs this doctrine in episode 3 (when answers to Anakin about the dream), in episode V when teach to Luke about mindful of the present and in episode 2 when Anakin tell to Padme about compassion ....

I'm agree with Chameleon102 about the Force is only one and interpretations are two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.