main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by furious, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furious

furious Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2002
    Is there a meaning? Is it even possible to know what it is? Who knows then and what is it? Why do people have a desire to live and continue existance? Why are there some that wish they didnt exist, or simply dont see the point?

Sorry I know thats alot of questions to start with. Hopfully somebody can help me out with these. Thanks

2. Ki-Adi Bundi

Ki-Adi Bundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2000
    Is there a meaning?
    I haven't found one yet.

Is it even possible to know what it is?Who knows then and what is it?
    I can surely say that I don't know.

Why do people have a desire to live and continue existance?
    Any animal is programmed genetically to do that.

Why are there some that wish they didnt exist, or simply dont see the point?
    Many answers to list.

Sorry I know thats alot of questions to start with. Hopfully somebody can help me out with these. Thanks
    Not at all.

3. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

Be Here Now

4. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    To ultimately die.

5. The Mentos® Strikes Back

The Mentos® Strikes Back Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2000
  6. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    Damn, beat me to it Mentos.

The meaning of life is to feel good about yourself in which way you choose.

-Mulacki

7. furious

furious Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2002
    Waning Drill: If the point of life is to die, why are so many people afraid of death? And why should we hang around and put off whats going to happen anyways if thats all there is to life?

Darth Mulacki: If we're here to just feel good, why is there so much pain? What about people who do not feel good about themselves, do they have a reason to live?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm hoping i might find some answers.

8. Darkside_Spirit

Darkside_Spirit Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2001
    Life has the meaning you give to it. It has no meaning preordained--it is up to you to give it meaning.

9. Darth_Drunk

Darth_Drunk Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    "Is there a meaning?"

Yes. To evolve to the point where we can join God.

"Is it even possible to know what it is?"

Yes. But it takes deep searching and study.

"Why do people have a desire to live and continue existance?"

To evolve and become greater. We do this through different means.

" Why are there some that wish they didnt exist, or simply dont see the point?"

Maybe they were tramatized, convinced otherwise, or simply haven't looked hard enough.

10. Rogue_Solo

Rogue_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2001
    I've always figured that the meaning of life is life itself. It's circular logic, I guess, but I think about it this way. If somehow, we find out that there is no god, no afterlife, no nothing, people will still go on living. There may not be any cosmic point or anything, but we will still be alive.

11. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    I don't think there is any meaning of life. We're here by mere chance, all of us. It was chance that humans evolved the way we did. It was chance that our parents were born. Chance that they met. Chance that they had you and me. (Not that we have the same parents :p )

I just saw that an asteriod pasted within 75,000 miles of the earth the other day. It was just chance that it didn't hit us.

Unlike other species, we are able to question what our life is about, and what the meaning of it is. We are in search of how we came about, and what is out there after we die. This is how many religions are born. In an attempt to explain how we came about, and that there is a greater being looking out for us, and promising an after life. (I myself do not subscribe to that.)

Like Kerr_Plunk said, just be, because you never know when you will stop being.

Latre! :D

12. Gonzonaut

Gonzonaut Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    There is none. Go out and find something meaningful for you, and make it work for you, but if you need to find meaning in life itself, I you're going to come up empty handed. I don't think that it is any matter to lose sleep over, and if you need to find a meaning for life to be sane, you should consider an alteration of your world view.

13. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    The meaning of life is to bring praise and glory to the God of Judaism and Christianity.

Of course, I am a Christian so I am biased...

If you're an Atheist, it's to have fun and live as long as you can as rich and healthy as you can while having a lot of fun.

THAT is the meaning of life...

Unless you are a Buddhist in which it is to achieve enlightenment... and many different things in many other languages.

AKA:

Answers will vary.

14. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    "Every time I figure out the meaning of life they go and change it." :p

15. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    I'll attempt to answer some of your other questions.

Why are people afraid of death?

Perhaps for the fact of the unknown. Because we can rationalize things, we have a need to know what our lives are about. And if we die, we have no guarantee that we will find the answers to our questions. On the other hand, some people accept that death is part of life (the minute we are born we start dying)and don't fear it.

Why is there so much pain, and do people who don't feel good about themselves have a reason to live?

That's why people usually commit suicide. But you must ask yourself, where does the pain come from? It comes from society. It is socially defined, which simply means that we as a species are the cause of our own pain, as well as our happiness. If a group of people made fun of you because of your race or sexual orientation, you would more than likely feel some pain. But if you were in a society that accepted your race or sexual orientation, you would feel happiness.

All the why does this happen, why does that happen, where do we come from, and what happens to us afterwards is just something humans do to occupy their time and try to give some meaning to their existance. You don't see any other species worrying about all of this do you?

That's my take on things.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Of course it's 42, don't you pay attention?

Well, I'm a Christian so... yeah, you know what I think the meaning of life is.

And I love life, and just want to enjoy it

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Well the answer is 42, but what was the question?

The meaning of life is (in my opinion) to live in harmony with everything else that's alive. To make some sort of difference so that your time spent here wasn't worthless. To please your God or higher power, if you have one. To make life less miserable for others. To avoid, whenever possible, taking life from any creature.
    Some people, I think, exist on different levels of consciousness. This may sound crazy and new-age-y, but I really think that there are people that have not yet realized what a gift it is to be alive. They don't understand things beyone their own suffering. This is the only way I can justify in my mind the fact that there are people who can and have taken their own lives.
    But, of course, this is just my opinion. I don't think that we can really know what happened before we were born or what will happen when we die. Therefore, we have no frame of reference for the meaning of this life.

18. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Simply to love and to be loved...

Kit

19. davofett

davofett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I have to say Love. What is God. Love. To seek love is to seek God. as the Bettles say "All You Need Is Love"

20. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    No one seems to be addressing your other questions. I'll try again.

Why do some people desire to live and continue existance?

What more is there than to live? I wish to live because the alternative is not that desirable. We only go aroung the sun about 75 times, if your lucky. Enjoy it while you can.

Why do people desire to continue existance? Immortality is an ancient concept. Once humans were able to question their existance, and make up belief systems, they have been longing for some type of ever lasting life. To go on existing is to become somewhat "God like." And becoming God like is a step closer to their understanding what life is about.

Would anyone else like to address these issues, or is just saying things like love and knowing God is what life is all about satisfying enough?

(I only say this to generate discussion, not arguments.)

21. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    Well, I guess I think to much about this. I tried to find a way that proves that somethings aren't true, and I did. The Big Bang theory: how can this happen?! oh, out of now where.....BAAAAAAAANG! or the TWAAAAANG! then pow! the universe is formed. what was there before the big bang? nothing? impossible. something just doesn't happen out of nowhere where nothing exists. when the universe destroys itself as scientists predict, what will be in it's space? nothing?! again, this is impossible. There is no such thing as nothing! nothing is something. how is the universe even expanding at this very moment? explain that!

see my point! scientists can't explain this! no matter how technical it sounds, it ain't true! there is no way this could have happened!

my conclusion: we are here now, as human beings created by one thing, and one thing only, God. That is the only conclusion I have. God exists. Oh, and I am Christian!

22. Darth_Drunk

Darth_Drunk Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    "This post has been brought to you by a 13 year old! "

Duh

And by the way, the Big Bang wasn't an explosion. It is the expansion of the universe from the small point of super dense mass it originated from. Or, at least, that is the theory.

23. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    well, I think it's safe to say that nothing can be proved. not even the existence of God. But I believe in God, and his existence because I'm a Christian, just as I said.

one other thing: why is it called the Big Bang theory if there wasn't an explosion?

24. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Uh, what does trying to disprove the Big Bang have anything to do with the meaning of life?

I also meant to ask before of other christians, what does trying to satisfy God have to do with the meaning of life? And what does it have to do with us wanting to exist or not to exist?

I guess basically I am asking the same questions that furious asked. I don't see how just saying "To please God" is the reason for this whole thing called existance.

Oh, and Lord_Homer, who created God? And who created the one who created God? As you said, you can't get something from nothing, so something had to be there before God, right?

Answered simply, all of these ideas about this or that are made up by us, humans.

(Remember, this is for discussion. I'm just inquiring about the way you think.)

25. JediStocky

JediStocky Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 26, 2001
    Perhaps it is the only thing not to have any meaning. Think of it like a taste. Oranges taste like oranges, sugar tastes sweet, curry tastes hot, etc. Everything has a taste? What description would you give water? Ironically the essential for life in the first place. Pure water has no taste. So maybe life is the one thing to have NO meaning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.