What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by furious, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterTutham27 Jedi Master

star 4
    I have heard this question many many many times over and I will share a little story- You don't necessarily have to agree or disagree with it, but you may like it...

A parishoner was troubled and went up to his priest, a very old, but wise man...

"Father?" he asked tenatively.

"Yes, my son?" asked the old man.

"Why were we put here on earth?"

The old man pondered for a long while and then answered the man in a quiet tone.

"To ask that very question."

Corny, right? Hmm.. I think that we are here to discover our own existence, to discover God and worship Him, to create something ourselves, communicate ideas with others, and to love and be loved in return...

Hmmm... no simple version is there?

Well... quite simply, we are here to live ....

EDIT: We were also put here to learn how to spell things correctly! ;)
  2. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    The meaning of life is to give your life meaning. Which is quite cool if you think about it, because you can do whatever you want with your life, as long as you set your mind to that task. For some reason I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes: "The greatest joy in life is seeing yourself for the first time, as you really are, and liking it." -Anonymous

And here's another one: "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." -Robert Frost

And oh look, another one: "Dream as if you?ll live forever. Live as if you?ll die today." -James Dean

Wow, I have too many quotes: "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail." -Muriel Strode

:)
  3. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
  4. stevo Jedi Master

star 4
    Exactally, people give life meaning. And people think.

EDIT: From CwrnPuppet's sig: "Life is meaningless. We bring meaning to it." - Joseph Campbell
  5. Adelaide Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooooh, I'm gonna have lotsa italics here! :D

Is there a meaning?
    Yep.

Is it even possible to know what it is?
    I found out when I was...uh..*counts on her fingers* 7, I think.

Who knows then and what is it?
    God knows. :D Well, what I learned was what Obi-Zahn said: "The meaning of life is to bring praise and glory to God"

Why are there some that wish they didnt exist, or simply dont see the point?
    Cause they don't know the truth. :(

why are so many people afraid of death?
    ...they shouldn't be afraid of death...just the wrath of God. I's gonna quote one of my fav bumper stickers again, "If you're living like there in no God........You better be right." (Have yet to find a pic of it. :()

If we're here to just feel good, why is there so much pain?
    It all started with a slimy worm-like creature. (aka snake/serpent)

What about people who do not feel good about themselves, do they have a reason to live?
    Yes, to look around and start feeling good about themselves! :) (nope, I don't mean look at the world around them, who would want to do that? :()

What is God. Love. To seek love is to seek God.
    Amen! :D

The Big Bang theory: how can this happen?! oh, out of now where.....BAAAAAAAANG! or the TWAAAAANG! then pow! the universe is formed.
    Oh, I thought it went mroe like: "Gabriel, pull my finger." :p

Oh, and Lord_Homer, who created God? And who created the one who created God? As you said, you can't get something from nothing, so something had to be there before God, right?
    God has always been! :D

A parishoner was troubled and went up to his priest, a very old, but wise man...

"Father?" he asked tenatively.

"Yes, my son?" asked the old man.

"Why were we put here on earth?"

The old man pondered for a long while and then answered the man in a quiet tone.

"To ask that very question."

?[face_plain] Hmm, that's what happened to me when I asked my gandmother the same question....hmm. :)p)

"Dream as if you?ll live forever. Live as if you?ll die today." -James Dean
    Oooh...that's reminds me of on of my fav songs! Ooooo, what was it? *puts her hand under her other arm and puts her other hand on her forehead* Think, think, think...it was either DC Talk or Steve Taylor.... Think, think, think....Ack. *searches thru her CD's*

EDIT-Grr...low batt. on my CD player. :mad: (The meaning of life is to search thru boxes 4 batteries, right now)

EDIT2-Okies, I'll just post the whole song by DC Talk: :p

~~~VERSE1(hey, I was serious...)-You got a gift and you best start usin' it, cause if you don't you're gonna wind up losin' it. Just like the brother who buried it deep, the task was simple but the price was steep. We got a mission while we're on this earth. We need to tell people 'bout our second birth.Get busy like a school boy makin' an A, cause time my brother, is tickin' away.

VERSE2-Right now is the time we gotta get with it. The gift that He's givin' ain't just an exhibit. But a tool that He's givin' us to use for His sake. And just as He's givin' He can surely take. The signs of the times are droppin' like flies, the cries of the people around us imply. They're lookin' for an answer that we already know. But time is definately on the go.

B VERSE-All the money, in the world, could never stop the hands of time. And a wasted, day in your life, is more than a crime.~~~

And it turns out that wasn't what I was looking for. :p Oh, well...too lazy right now to search for Steve Taylor...gotta go eat, too, so I'll see u ppls l8tre!
  6. Kuna_Tiori Jedi Master

star 4
    A lot of the things people say here have merit, some more so than others. But one might say that there really is no meaning. That we're just here by chance, by happy accident. Kind of like what that other guy said (sorry don't know your name).
  7. WormieSaber Force Ghost

star 5
    What is the meaning of life? Learning....

Remember that old saying...live and learn.
  8. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Kuna_Tiori,

You wouldn't happen to be talking about what I said would you?

"I don't think there is any meaning of life. We're here by mere chance, all of us. It was chance that humans evolved the way we did. It was chance that our parents were born. Chance that they met. Chance that they had you and me. (Not that we have the same parents. :p )"

At any rate, if you are, it's just little old me, Master-Jedi-Smith. :p

As for "God has always been!" It could easily be said that God has always been around since the person who first thought him up in order to give their life some type of meaning.

"What is the meaning of life?"

"To please God."

"Oh, that's it. So, you mean I don't have to search any further for a logical explination, just say 'to please God' and everything is answered. That's so simple, so easy. Super duper! I feel so at ease."

Sorry, I have been down that road, and I'm just not buying it.

But if it makes others feel secure about living in this great big world of ours, that's totally up to you. :) And who am I to tell you any different. Feel good about yourself, and do good while your here. The world and our lives will be better for it if we could all just get along.

Latre! :D
  9. westford Jedi Master

star 4
    Is there a meaning?
    See below.

Why do people have a desire to live and continue existance?
    Why do cats or dogs or fish or whatever keep on living? It's all about continuing the species - that's the meaning of life I suppose, to continue and improve our species.

Why are there some that wish they didnt exist, or simply dont see the point?
    From personal experience, all I can say is that illnesses like depression can suck all the colour out of life.

You ever seen the film City Slickers? There's a bit in that about the meaning of life. They put it down to one thing, but that one thing is different for everyone. Don't know if it's so much the meaning of life or the secret of happiness, but once you work out what you want from life, does it matter what other people think?
  10. Kuna_Tiori Jedi Master

star 4
    Master-Jedi-Smith: Yes, I was talking about that comment of yours. :)
  11. Moriarte Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I always took the "Meaning of Life" to be that, since we have the ability to question, create, destroy, a conscience, God is testing us on whether or not we can come to love God, or to keep the faith as it were.

I mean, if God has the ability to create ALL, he could create totally obediant servants/worshippers right? Maybe he is curious as to whether or not how long we, his creations can stay in line, keep the faith, love God, simply to believe...I guess you could say. Can we be created by this ultimate being, and shun him? Can we be created by this ultimate being and still worship him? How will we accord ourselves if given free will? Will we come to appreciate what has been given us?

It might be more of God asking himself a question, than of us asking Him.

Of course, then I could spout the Philosophy of the Stone, but my idea still stands.

Ciou-See the Sig
  12. sith_chick Guest

We are just the Universe's way of understanding itself.
  13. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Why does there have to be meaning to it? Would it be more exciting if there were a meaning to it? Suppose you did figure out the 'meaning' to life, what if it wasn't what you expected it to be? Some things are just here for the hell of it, like us. There is no real meaning to life. The only meaning to it is all in your head.
  14. Doobie-Wan Jedi Knight

star 1
    What is the meaning of life?
    Observing, communicating, understanding, investigating, thinking about our whole existence.

"If one is caught in a network of beliefs, dogma, personal opinion, like & dislike, then you cannot possibly observe. And to observe very clearly, one needs the freedom from all this, freedom from your particular opinions, what you think, what you don't think, your personal experience, all your hopes, beliefs, none of those will help to perceive, to observe, to examine - which is fairly obvious." from Living life without conflict: Direct perception & transformation. ├é┬ęKrishnamurti Foundation of America
  15. Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The point of life is to spread and grow and evolve in everyway. The same goal life has always had: to expand itself.
  16. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    The meaning of life is simple, has been, and always will be, and very obvious.

The meaning of life is to love, and to grow in understandings of love.

Everything else is subordinate to this. Man has never been able to understand this since the Garden of Eden. The Fall from the Garden was man turning from unbroken love to embrace an evil that denied that love.

"All you need is love."

John Lennon
    and Judd Hirsch after John Lennon. ;)
  17. Devilanse Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    god god god god god god god god

Please let there be more to this life than religion....PLEASE!
  18. DarthYama Jedi Master

star 4
    42 is a reference to a book called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It is the Answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything. The Question itself is unknown, although some have theorized that it is What Is Nine Times Six?
  19. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    42 is also the only numbered joke at the Annual National Convention of Comedians that received any laughter or applause. All other jokes were numerically listed for expediency sake and #42 was only joke not heard before.
  20. FlamingSword Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wow, I agree with what a lot of you said.

Life is about becoming a better person, about growing, learning, experiencing. It's also about the love you give yourself and others.
  21. Kuna_Tiori Jedi Master

star 4
    42 is a reference to a book called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It is the Answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything. The Question itself is unknown, although some have theorized that it is What Is Nine Times Six?

Wouldn't that be seven times six?
  22. stevo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, its seven times six. And you gotta read the Hitchiker's Guide series-- its great.

BTW: I heard Douglas Adams passed away and they came out with another book-- ??

People give the meaning of life. Life exists for expanding, learning, becoming productive, and doing what we love to do and loving it.
  23. ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Master

star 4
    To ask and whine about this question so much that eventually your realize it's pointless trying to figure it out. Then, you start thinking about important issues like why ketchup out of the glass bottle tastes better :D
  24. stevo Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm always wondering why I can never make cookies exactally round . . . they're always so round in the store-bought ones!
  25. Beren Jedi Knight

star 2
    A little morose, but my sig sums up my feelings on the question.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.