main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by furious, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    To survive and be happy at the same time!

2. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    ADMIRALSPUZZUM,

"To ask and whine about this question so much that eventually your realize it's pointless trying to figure it out. Then, you start thinking about important issues like why ketchup out of the glass bottle tastes better"

[face_laugh]

That is the best example I have ever seen about explaining why we ask the question about life.

Asking what the meaning of life is, is no different than asking why ketchup out of the glass bottle tastes better. :)

Both are man made questions, and both are answered by man, whether it be that we are here to please God and that God made the ketchup taste better, or we are here by chance and the chemistry of ketchup in a glass bottle is different than ketchup in a plastic one and that makes it taste better.

Latre! :D

3. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    Thank you Jedi Master Smith.

4. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    My pleasure. :)

Latre! :D

5. Aanix_Durray

Aanix_Durray Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Allow me to be a member of the utterly redundant club and say.... wait for it.... 42! :)

Though, IMO, I always like to think that it's for the challenge of the individually sealed packets of ketchup.

~~Aanix

6. Nunquam

Nunquam Jedi Master star 1

Apr 1, 2000
    There is no meaning outside the context of our own individual experiences and beliefs, and those of the societies in which we live.

Think of it in terms of the letters and symbols we're using to communicate with...ultimately, they're just a collection of lines and circles with no meaning on their own, no apparent reason for existing. But when placed in the context of a particular human alphabet and language, a "meaning" appears.

Speaking of context...

An unknown Babylonian storyteller addressed the meaning of life 5,000 years ago in The Epic of Gilgamesh -- as Gilgamesh is on his quest to find the secret to eternal life, someone bluntly tells him he's wasting his time, that life its meaning is simple:

Live each day in joy...love the child that holds your hand...delight in your wife's embrace...for these alone are the concerns of mankind.

7. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    To ask, "What is the Meaning of Life?", is like asking, "What is the eternal Tao?"

Once it is defined, it is no longer the Meaning of Life.

I think the Meaning of Life is the search for the Meaning of Life. To better ourselves as we continue to exist through time. but then, I just defined it, ,so that can't be the true meaning!

Quite the paradox of eastern thought! ;)

8. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    To make a positive difference that you were here, however small that difference may be.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There is no apparent reason for which we exist. We just do.

I guess the meaning of life is TO LIVE. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.