main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What is the most nostalgic scene of the ST thus far...?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Mar 31, 2018.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In order for me:

1. “Chewie...we’re home.”
    2. Luke/R2 reunion and the hologram replay.
    3. Luke/Leia reunion. “You’ve changed your hair.”
    4. Han/Leia reunion. “Same jacket.” “New jacket.”

wobbits, Sarge, Rancor Keeper and 2 others like this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Same thing I always do, talk my way out of it."

Shaak Ti, MarcJordan, Avnar and 2 others like this.
  3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    For me it is the crashed Star Destroyer on Jakku

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    There are so, so many moments.
    Now, I actually enjoy nostalgia in movies like these, so I don't mind that there's a lot of nostalgic moments, but there are too many that I love to list them all here. And as some have said, not all of them are callbacks or references, but give the same feelings as the old films did.
    Some that come to mind:

TFA:
    -The whole of Rey's introduction. From the climb in the fallen SD, to her eating by the AT-AT. It really spoke to my inner child.
    -"Chewie, we're home!"
    -Leia and Han reunion (with some Threepio and Chewie).
    -Rey Force-grabbing the lightsaber on Starkiller Base. It really is one of those magical Star Wars moments.
    -Luke Skywalker!

TLJ:
    -Luke and Artoo (with the Leia message).
    -Luke teaching Rey about the Force.
    -Luke and Yoda.
    -Luke and Leia. Hm, there's a lot of Luke on this list.
    -Canto-Bight (No really). It made me, for a second, feel like I was watching the prequels again. I know this is a complaint many have, but I have really missed the "upper class" part of SW since the PT.
    -Jedi Master Luke (damn, him again).
    -Binary Sunset.

There are many more moments, big and small, in both films that would fit on this list but I'll stop now. :p

5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The scene that best captures the same sense of wonder from ANH, in the ST, is watching one day in the life of Rey in TFA.

The scene that best captures a similar sitting-on-the-edge-of-the-seat tension as when Vader is fighting Luke in ESB, is when Kylo is preparing to kill Snoke.

Kalmanta likes this.
  6. Bosozoku27

Bosozoku27 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2017
    There's a lot to choose from really and many are good, but I can pick one above all:

R2 playing Leia's holographic message again. Just because it takes you back so one of the earliest scenes of this beloved series. And given the context of Carrie Fisher's passing, it just seemed to mean so much more.

7. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I'll give a top ten. No particular order.

1) Leia and Luke reunion. Especially with Carrie's passing, this scene really hits home. It's the reunion we were waiting for for two movies. Even though it was short and brief, it was extremely well done and I'm glad it came out that way.

2) Chewie and Han on Falcon. Ask me in 2005 and I would tell you we would never see Han Solo on the big screen again, but I was wrong. The falcon scenes, all of them, really did the magic, especially when Finn turns on the game that catches Chewie's attention. Really felt like we never left the OT.

3) R2 and Luke. Yes the holographic message was a nice cue, but both of these guys together again was pretty special. My heart is broken for R2, especially with how he's been treated in this trilogy.

4) Rey's intro. Like you guys have stated, feels like the OT and not just a copy. Yeah the sand planet was, but the elements of the ship graveyard and the making of the bread was really great to see. Felt pure and not too much CGI like the prequels.

5) Yoda and Luke. This one could be higher to. It's hard to rank these. Even though I was spoiled by the Yoda reveal in spoilers here, it still was great to see Yoda and Luke. I actually wasn't expecting them. I was expecting Rey and Yoda, but this worked out great.

6) Binary sunset. Really the only thing that I can accept about Luke's death was the sunset. While I'm still kind of upset that he just magically passed away after that, it was really well done.

7) Nien Numb and Akbar. Just great to see these two after all of these years. I mean they are pretty much the only rebels from the old days still with the crew. They could have easily left after the battle of Endor. Wish we got Wedge. The Ackbar passing and its handling is still cringe worthy. If you won't let him be the hero instead of Holdo, at least honor him with a moment of silence instead of an "oh ok, lets move on moment." As far as Nien, wish we got to here him speak. If there's a Lando/Nien reunion in Episode 9 that is going to the top of my list.

8) Han and Leia reunion. They played it off so well. Couldn't ask for more.

9) Luke Skywalker reveal. Not sure if it counts, but I mean, we all lost it when we saw Luke after all this time, especially with that dramatic entrance.

10) Chewie and Luke: This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but I felt it was important we got these two to reunite as well, even if it was on the more comedic and somber side on the island.

Man listing these does make me appreciate the ST a lot more. So far they have knocked the ball out of the park with the fan service. Though still no Luke/Han is a missed opportunity still.

8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I wonder if we get another flashback in 9 that shows us a younger Luke, Han and Leia briefly?

We know JJ had written such a scene in the initial forceback stuff going off the MSW production info.

Skylo_92, TK327 and Mungo Baobab like this.
  9. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I wouldn't mind an extended flashback sequence in IX. They could show a younger version of the big three, and also use it to expand on Ben Solo's corruption by Snoke.

TK327, TCF-1138 and Satipo like this.
  10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah - I don't know what they will do, but I think there are fairly simple ways you can tie a lot of unresolved aspects and fan beefs together with that kind of thing.

I think Kylo picking up on some of Snoke's secrets and research is a good way to go - giving us an organic chance to learn a little more about Snoke through the corruption of Ben Solo, and give us that big three reunion we never got (albeit a bittersweet one).

I also wonder if we'll see the big three in the spirit world a la the force ghosts in ROTJ. I know Han isn't a force ghost, but maybe if you're in the spirit world there is a way around that. If they want to go there. They may not, of course. But I've always thought a de-aged big three flashback would be great.

11. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, if they were to actually show us the netherworld, I think it's possible that Han could show up. He's still part of the Force, even though he doesn't have the ability to retain his identity after death. I think it would be more of a dreamlike state, with a version of Han, maybe. But yeah, under those circumstances, I think it's possible that he could still appear.

TK327 likes this.
  12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. So long as no one in the physical plane sees him, maybe it could work.

Also - the force / dark side (depending on the plot obviously) could show Kylo anything in an attempt to pull him back to the light, seal his turn to the dark. Think of the way the Potter films dealt with all that kind of stuff.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    My top ten.

The Star Destroyer on Jakku.
    Kylo speaking to Vader’s helmet.
    Han on the freighter.
    Han landing on Starkiller base.
    Han and Leia reunite.
    Luke meeting R2 again.
    Luke and Yoda.
    Luke reuniting with Leia.
    Chewbacca flying the Falcon with ‘TIE Fighter Attack’ playing.
    Luke and the binary sunset.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  14. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    The most nostalgic scenes of the sequel trilogy for me are:

Force Awakens-
    -Han and Chewie boarding the millennium falcon ("Chewie, we're home").
    -The crashed Star Destroyer on Jakku.
    -Kylo Ren talking to Darth Vader's mask.
    -Rey seeing flashbacks of the Cloud City hallway (where Luke and Vader fought in ESB) followed by Luke placing his robotic hand on R2-D2 and ghost Obi-wan saying "Rey, these are your first steps".
    -Han and Leia reuniting.
    -C-3P0, R2, and BB-8 together.
    -Han confronting Kylo Ren (the complete opposite of the "I am your father" scene in ESB).
    -Luke Skywalker and his "elaborate entrance"

Last Jedi-
    -Luke boarding the millennium falcon.
    -Luke reuniting with R2 and seeing Leia's holographic message from ANH.
    -Leia's force connection with Kylo Ren (it's just like how she connected with Luke in ESB).
    -Luke mentioning the events of the prequels (Darth Sidious's rise to power, the deaths of the Jedi, and the creation of Darth Vader).
    -Rey reminding Luke of how he turned Vader back to the light side in ROTJ).
    -flashbacks of Kylo Ren betraying Luke and the Jedi temple burning (similar to Revenge of the Sith).
    -Rey and Kylo Ren in the throne room with Snoke (similar to ROTJ).
    -The AT-AT walkers marching from a distance.
    -Luke and Leia reuniting.
    AND
    -Luke seeing the binary sunset one last time.

Jamtia likes this.
  15. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I was legit thinking about this for 9. The flashback sequence I thought we should have gotten/were supposed to get was how Kylo became how he did and how we saw Snoke's manipulation of Kylo. If we were to explore Snoke's backstory in 9, we may finally get what we wanted to see. I'm kind of glad that we didn't see the big three together one more time in this story, only because it would have been the saddest thing, especially the 360 turnaround from their happy ending in RotJ. If they didn't go for the remake route, we would have seen all three together in TFA.

With Han, as I've stated in other threads, I think he, Luke and Leia will appear as force ghosts as originally planned for this trilogy just like the 3 Jedi did in RotJ. I mean that's realistically the only way you can have them together again with a happy ending for this saga. I toyed around the idea of Luke or another having the power to make Han into a force ghost. Though I am not sure 9 or any of the Star Wars movies would really dive down with the mythical aspects and explanations.

16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    To many to mention but anything to do with the Big 3......

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  17. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Han and Leia, followed by Luke and Leia, with Luke and Chewie #3.

18. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    For me, it's the scene when Rey is first introduced. Not when she's scavenging, but when she comes out of the Star Destroyer and takes off her head gear. When the camera pans out, showing Rey step onto her sled, the way her theme comes on, and then she slides down that hill back to her vehicle.

I remember watching TFA the first time and that being moment it dawned on me......THIS IS A NEW STAR WARS MOVIE.

Granted, there are more scenes I would consider nostalgic or iconic. Most of them have already been mentioned. But that one really sticks out to me. And even still whenever I watch TFA I always look forward to that shot and feel as though that is the establishing scene of the ST.

Satipo likes this.
  19. Kalmanta

Kalmanta Jedi Padawan

Jul 22, 2017
    The music with Rey‘s Theme is also very fitting, it‘s hopeful and melancholic at the same time.

TK327, MotivateR5D4 and Satipo like this.
  20. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    The ROTJ Falcon flying through the death star music in the salt caves then, straight after, we see classic AT-ATs alongside their much larger gorilla-knuckled descendants.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Leia's hologram in TLJ. It was the first nostalgic moment to actually work on me.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The one scene that took me back to being a kid watching the OT was the one in TFA that was new: the ending with Rey looking for Luke on Ach-To and eventually finding him. That entire ending, the visuals, the music, Rey handing the saber to Luke. Exceptional.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  23. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Luke-Leia scene is an obvious one, but I think the most nostalgic moment for me is where Luke hands her the dice. It was beautiful and sad and a nice way to bring Han into the scene without it feeling heavy-handed. I felt the energy of the OT3 in that moment

Skylo_92, Martoto77 and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Luke's scene with Yoda gets my vote. It felt like watching something that had always been a part of the series, something that I somehow knew had always been there but had never seen with my own two eyes. I think this is also my single favorite image from the ST so far.

[​IMG]

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's the perfect way of putting it!
    That scene is such a natural extension of the OT, and a beautiful way to celebrate both the past and the future of SW.