main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the most Significant Event of Anakins Life?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Dagsy, Feb 6, 2003.

?

What is the most Significant Event of Anakins Life?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Winning the Boonta Eve pod race

3.4%
  2. Being rejected by the Jedi Council

1.4%
  3. Destroying the TF control ship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Being accepted for training by the Jedi Council

2.7%
  5. The death of Shmi

37.4%
  6. Being defeated by Dooku

2.7%
  7. Marrying Padme

4.1%
  8. Turning to the Dark Side

27.2%
  9. Discovering he had a son

4.8%
  10. Other

16.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
  2. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    OK, I just wanted to see how a poll would go here :p

Basically, each of these events is significant in shaping Anakin and his life.

1) Anakin proved to Qui Gon that he was the Chosen One
    2) Filled Anakin with anger, and fear. Made him resent the Jedi.
    3) This is what proved to the Jedi that Anakin wasnt some kid they could just shunt away. That he was special
    4) The training is what gave Anakin the abilities to make himself more powerful
    5) This set off all sorts of anger within Anakin.
    6) Anakins first taste of defeat by a 'Jedi'. He would need to find a new way to become the most powerful Jedi ever.
    7) Anakin broke the Jedi rules. He was being corrupted by the one he loved.
    8) Obviously "The Turn". Where he ceased being Anakin and started being Vader.
    9) Where Anakin had to change his gameplan. To overthrow the Emperor? To make the Galaxy a safe place for Luke?
    10) Other...explain

Obviously there could be more, but there wasnt space.

While Anakins life was choice after choice, event after event, these were what I deemed as important in shaping his life.

But what is the most important?

3. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Other: his own redemption. Every other event in his life lead to that one.

4. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    That would have been the next one option if there was room, I swear ;)

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I wont vote yet, I can't really make up my mind.

For one I think that for Anakin personally it was most important to be discovered by Qui Gon and leaving Tatooine, on the other hand for events outside of Anakin and for the rest of the galaxy his redemption was definetly the most important.

6. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

I voted for the The death of Shmi.

All your other points were significant in their own right, but I feel this was the halfway point, the point where Anakin's destiny will be a good one from there.

He was unable to muster his emotions and gave into the Darkside, destroying the Tuskens.

It all goes down hill from here...

7. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I think it was when he was accepted to be trained as a jedi. Otherwise, I'm sure Anakin would have either gone home to live with his mom or possibly lived on Naboo as Mechanic. [/color]

8. QueenPadme

QueenPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2003
    I voted other--I think it is meeting Qui-Gon; if that hadn't happened, none of the events listed would have occurred either.

9. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    I refuse to enter a poll in this Forum.

PROTEST.

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Turning to the Dark Side...
    Without turning to the Dark Side, I feel that it would be hard for Anakin to have brought balance to the Force. "Always two there are, no more, no less". Therefore, when Anakin turned to the Dark Side, that meant that there was only one other Sith around at the same time. When he came back to the light, that meant that there was only one Sith remaining, who he easily was able to destroy, thereby destroying the Sith.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I didn't vote (polls make it too easy to reply without thinking out what you're going to say ;) ), but the most important thing Anakin did from the point of view of the Force was simultaneously oust Palpy, end the lines of both Sith and Jedi, and restore balance to the Force in the moment he rose up against his erstwhile master. Since Anakin was less his own person than a tool or weapon conceived by the Force and then kicked around by it for his entire life, I would say the event that was most significant to the Force was also most significant to Anakin.

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I voted for Shmi's death as, IMO, it was at that point in his life, which set the tone of things to come. He could have simply rescued Shmi, and not have let his emotions cloud his judgement, or he could have let his rage take control. Obviously we know which path he took, but it was at that point in time where he chose to go one way or the other.

13. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    This was hard to vote on. I also think there are unknowns to be revealed in Ep III that could change our voting.

I voted for the moment he was accepted to be trained as a Jedi. I see it as the precedent that laid the foundation for the rest of his life. Shmi's death was the next turning point for him but I don't think it would have 'darkened' him in the way that it did without knowledge of the Force.

14. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I voted other. I think Padme's death will be most significant event in his life.

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "I think Padme's death will be most significant event in his life."

I agree that Padme's death will be a significant event in his life. If we look at some of the major points in Anakin's life, there seems to be one constant factor: family members. Anakin and Padme leave Naboo for Tatooine, because Anakin has been having nightmares about his mother. While on Tatooine, the Dark Side tempts him for the first time when he kills the Tusken Raiders. Why? Because they tortured his mother. After this, Anakin and Padme leave Tatooine to go to Geonosis, to rescue Obi-Wan, who Anakin admits is "like a father to me". Here, Anakin loses an arm, gets fried by Force lightning, and starts his transformation from man to machine.

In Return of the Jedi, Anakin's redemption comes, thanks to his son. I think that Anakin couldn't stand to see Luke get zapped by the Force lightning, as he knew just how much pain it could cause, and he hadn't been "zapped" for nearly as long as Luke was. Thanks to Luke, Anakin returned to the light, moments before his death.

The beginning of Anakin's transformation into Vader was due in large part to his parental figures being in great pain... his mother, and someone who was "like a father" to him. His redemption came after seeing his son in great pain. Therefore, it makes sense to me that his complete fall to the Dark Side deals with seeing the one remaining relationship in Anakin's life in great pain (or death)...

16. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think Padme's death will be most significant event in his life.

Does Padme definatly die? Last I remember in the EU Luke tried to search for her and she was on a 'mysterious' planet with her people.

I voted turning to the Dark Side.

Tayschrenn

17. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    I had to go with the Dark Side!

18. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Other.

It's all about his Redemption in ROTJ. The whole saga leads up to this.

.valkor.

19. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Winning the Boonta Eve pod race, as this allowed all of the other events to happen. If he had lost the race, he would have still been a slave, and most likely have never left Tattooine.

20. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Shmi's death and his reaction are where everything changes. Before that, he was impulsive, over confident and maybe a bit angry, but it was nothing that was a major worry. Had he chosen to walk away from the Tusken camp, he probably could have been saved. But he made the choice to give into his anger, and that changed everything in his life. That was his first major step towards the darkside.

21. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Turning to the darkside and that package deal. Nothing more significant in ones life than forgetting who you are.

22. Alabak

Alabak Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2001
    Other.

For the reason stated by dehrian.

23. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    The death of Shmi. This was the actual turning point in Anakin's life, when he first got in touch with the dark side. The way he reacted to this event, changed everything.

24. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Turning to the Dark Side is what I voted, I mean thats the biggest thing in the saga if you ask me.

25. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    I may be a minority but I think it was discovering he had a son.I belive once he discovered he had a son he started to see things in a different way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.