main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the most stupid complaint you have heard about AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by rpeugh, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajpiano

ajpiano Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    "It's not realistic."

--adam

2. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    It's too CGI.

3. midnightpro

midnightpro Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    that yada had booster rockets and that obi didn't get killed by jango in the asteriod belt

4. Unstable_Jedi

Unstable_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    This moron on the boards here, RichieSm, he said that the part where Padme falls off the gunship when it's hit with a volley of laser fire (then Anakin is like "Go back, put the ship down!") ruined the whole movie because she was rolling around and moaning in pain, but then she jumped up and ran to help Anakin and Obi Wan. Uhh? Well I think if you fell out of a moving transport, you'd roll when you hit the ground too. And I think you'd probably groan or make some kind of noise too, since I doubt you'd be absolutely silent. Even if it is bad, (which it's not, the acting is realistic) why would it ruin the WHOLE movie? It lasts 5 seconds. Here's the thread http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7010123&replies=221

5. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    Well, my friend just told me that the Yoda/Dooku duel was totally unrealistic. "He walks around with a cane the whole time and all of a sudden can go lightning fast? Riiiight."

6. yoda900

yoda900 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I have one actually for even Phantom Menace that I had never heard berfore.

Anikin building c3p0 and Jabba the hutt being in it was stupid becasue it forced in characters that were not supposed to be there, and unneccisary, and the idea of anikin building 3p0 is nonsense.

well, that is wrong.

Ok now for aotc.

one person said something that bothered him, but he has not seen it yet was the r2 with rockets thing, like why would he not have used them before?
    Probaby he only uses them as a last resort, I bet they run out of energy quickly, otherwise he can hobble up stairs, but in the droid factory, there was nowhere to go.

Ok, here is another one I just heard, (well, it was not that aotc was bad, he was simply saying it was ok but not what he expected) well, I am not sure what he said exactly cuz he used the term the first movie (that could mean either episode 1 or 4 though) anyhow his biggest complaint was that the whole movie spent time fixing the continuity probelms from TPM or mabey he simply said it spent the whole time showing continuity into the ANH movie, such as establishing who owen was and why he is luke's unlce, he seemed to think that should not have been in there. huh???
    Hello, the whole friggin point of the OT is to establish (with continuity) how we come to where we are in ANH anyway. so what the he** is he talking about.
    Also, he said, you don't need to be married to have kids, that is a catholic idea, therefore this movie is catholic becuase of the wedding at the end to show why luke and leiha are going to be born. what?? they got married becasue they fell in love. he is not catholic, but I think all religions as far as I know yoou are encouraged to get married before having kids, reguardelss of faith.

oh yes, and the idea of a queen getting electd was dumb too.
    Who cares? right

And if he meant to fix continuity problems with TPM, well, there is no continuity problem with TPM at all. TPM is just establishing the beginning of the whole story of anikin and the republic giong towards the empire, AOTC does nothing more than expand it and get closer, which makes perfect sense. is he going to have the same complaint about number 3?

Oh and I love these ones. I work with a person who says she does not like star wars becuuse it is boring, or it is not her kind of movie or something like that.
    I asked her if she liked the originals, she said she only saw one of the originals, I ask wchik one, she does not even know, she thinks it was the first one, but she only say very small parts of it. I don't respect anyone's opionin who say they don't like a movie seeing less than a half hour of one portion of a saga of 3 2.2 hour movies, that is like me saying I don't like amusement parks, they are boring becuase I did not like the bumper cars (this is not the case, but just something to show metaphoriclly speaking)
    and she says a freind of hers went to see TPM and walked out after the first 10 minutes becuase it was boring.
    What?????? the first 10 minutes of TPM boring. ok, lets see, in the first 10 minutes we have the long time ago thing and thn the music and then the ships going by, a ship blowing up, 2 jedi fighting droids while cutting through a 1 ft thick steel door ad escaping with superspeed to a pod, and then that beautiful shot of the sihps landing. Boring??? sheesh, she and Robert Ebert must be best friends and lead lives that are far beyond anything any of us will ever hope to dream of.

as far as answering other complaints about AOTC,

I personally thought the acting was very well done, it has lots of great foreshadowing, aniking an padme were very believable (oh yes one complaint I saw once was that padme keeps snuffing off anikin, how can this be a good love story) duh? how many love stories have we seen where the guy had to change the girls mind? hello???
    Plus you have sam jackson, a great actor, Ewan Mcgregor, very good, Ian McDermaid (well lets say noone could ever play the role of sidious/palply/emporer better than this guy ever, you had Alec Guiness, Peter cushing in

7. Darth Mace

Darth Mace Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I believe the most stupid complaint comes from a review at TVguide.com. Here?s a few excerpts:

?Granted, Lucas is at a disadvantage: Episodes four, five and six of the saga preceded episodes one, two and three, so major plot developments have been robbed of any potential for suspense.?

So they are bashing the film simply because it?s a prequel???

?...Anakin gets really mad at the desert bandits who do his mother (Pernilla August) wrong and pulls a Lt. Calley, though this scene's impact is blunted by the fact that the massacre takes place offscreen. ?

And now they?re bashing it because it?s a PG rated family film? What they heck do they want here?

8. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    I actually heard someone complain that there was a lightsaber battle at the end.

"But there are ALWAYS lightsaber battles in every movie. Can't George Lucas be more original?"

*sigh*

***Senoj***

9. SithLord_77

SithLord_77 Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    I think there have been several complaints that really stick out in my mind. The first is provided courtesy of the Detroit News of the racism in Episode II with the Jango and the clones. I think Detroit needed something to talk about since it is doing much of anything else these days. As mentioned before, I think another complaint has been the level of acting. The original trilogy had a ton of actors that had not established themselves yet and the acting was just as bad if not worse. I will agree that Jedi is the worst of this as well. I think Episode I was a good film to set up Episode II. The critics didn't stop me from seeing it. Episode II was much better. I think anytime a critic says a movie stinks, I usually find it more enjoyable than the films they push.

10. robot717

robot717 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2001
    C-3PO's scenes were annoying.They weren't annoying at all.I loved them.

11. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    I got a couple:

Someone at IMDB.com said that the Yoda/Dooku lightsaber battle looked fake. This idiot got mad at GL, saying he should show us their skill with a lightsaber, instead of dazzeling us with speed. This guy probably rates the Kenobi/Vader duel on the Death Star as the greatest of all time. *yawns*

Another was Hayden and Natalie's loves scenes were horrible, and weren't as romantic as Harrisons and Carries in ESB. What? I don't find having to flee a gaint ice cube of a planet, being chased by the Empire and Bounty Hunters, with a robot that won't shut up, and a giant hairball being with me and my intrest girl, who by the way is playing hard to get, to be very romantic. Then to top it off, a friend betrays you and another friend nearly dies trying to save you. Now I for one am not too intrested in the romantic stories, Id take Mel Gibson shooting every thing that moves anyday, but please.

It seems to me, people don't like the prequels because they're not the originals. If you put things in perspective, it can't be the same story. In the PT their going from Peaceful Republic to Evil Empire, in the OT theyre going from Evil Empire to restore the Republic.

I wonder how many of these losers will complain when GL adds scenes to the OT, and dazzles us with speed in the Obi-Wan/Vader duel, and adding Natalie Portman somewhere in ROTJ. (I dont know where but it was reported on TF.N, this goes with something I read 2 years ago about GL wanting to change Leia saying her mother died.)

12. HBMC_Kloon

HBMC_Kloon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    "No Han Solo style character"

This complaint is really dumb because if there was a Han Solo style character, people would be saying "Why do we need a clone of Han Solo, can't Lucas be original!"

"It's not like the OT"

No! REALLY! I didn't noticed.

Maybe it's not the OT because it's the PT. People fail to see that.

BYE

13. OneTruth

OneTruth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    From our very own boards...

i have to say - Star Wars episode 2 is the absolute DUMBEST movie i'v EVER seen.
    there is NO STORY WHATSOEVER. i don't even know why the even call it a star wars movie.
    growing up as a fan, i know this: they made a movie that contradicts everything else they've done.
    they don't make it for fans anymore.. they make it for audiences. action and fight scenes for guys, love stories for girls.
    i have several examples of the junk they put in there:
    1. Yoda's lightsaber - NOT green, but actually yellow, shown in comics YEARS ago
    2. Death Star - NOT made by those dudes on Geonosis, as in the movie, but an absent-minded designer, Bevel Lemelisk (from the OFFICIAL Star Wars Encyclopedia),hence the flaws
    3. Slave I - NOT owned by 'Jango Fett' (thrown in there to attract ppl who found interest in the mysterious Boba Fett) but actually ordered built by BOBA, as said in another OFFICIAL novel
    theres a good chance i'm not going to see the third episode, as i doubt it will have the same essence that episodes 4,5, and 6 had, the ones that created the Star Wars universe by the STORY, not special effects

14. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    That there is no characterization in the film.

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    1. No Darth Maul.
    2. It's confusing. I went with a friend who had only seen TPM two or three times, and he has only seen the original trilogy once. After the movie, I asked him if he had trouble following it. "No."

16. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    One Truth- yeah there are those people that for some reason have adapted the EU as BETTER THAN the movies so the movies suck. Even though without films why would there even BE an EU. I just don't get those people. (and I like the EU)

17. HBMC_Kloon

HBMC_Kloon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    ONE TRUTH: LOL! Those ones are great. I think the guy who said them should have the EU beaten out of him!

(Don't get me wrong, I love the EU to bits, but anyone who says the Encycopedia is above AOTC is nuts!)

BYE

18. ShiftyJedi

ShiftyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    My Top 6
    1. ATOC is Racist.---Detroit Free Press should send an apology too Lucasfilm and it's readers for this monstrosity.
    2. Too Slow in the Beginning---Please the beginning was more action ladden then anyother movie I've seen. Were was this criticism for The Insider or 90% of those bulls*** drama's the Academy hands out awards too.
    3. No memorable Lines (Ebert)---Funny, how about "This party's over" or "Why do I get the feeling your going to be the death of me!" or "Good Job!" and I can keep going, but before people pick up Harry Potter I'd like to hear someone recite dialog from that movie. Obviously Ebert has alhimerz disease.
    4. Weak Dialog (Star Wars in general)---If the dialog is so weak then why is it quoted more times then the Pope, Gandhi, and the President combinded.
    5. Too CGI and Digital Filmmaking Sucks---Where's the models you know the twenty year old technology. Since Star Wars has always been late bloomers in the SFX industry (Saracasm). Lucas is trying to progress moviemaking. Why slam him for having the b**ls nobody in Hollywood has.
    6. Only made to Sell Merchandise---Are you kidding me! Not this smuck statement again. He decreased his toy and promotion lines to less then Spider-Man yet people still attack him but have no problem with Spidy.

AnakinTheChosenOne likes this.
  19. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Interestingly enough... if the movies had a "Han Solo" type, were more like the OT, changed the dialogue and acting format and used rubber puppets we might have heart the critics cry:

"Star Wars lacks originality and the feel of the old movies. With all of the available technology one would think that Master Lucas would have blessed his fan base with some fabulous computer generated characters as opposed to these 20 year old fake looking puppets.

But it gets worse. Lucas has completely changed the dialogue, opting for a more Lord of the Rings style and losing exactly what made the original movies fun and adventurous. His lack of vision, as some of his Jedi characters would say, has forced him to borrow from the writing skills of others.

Unfortunately it doesn't end there. The 'theatrical' style of acting that Lucas has demanded from his cast in the past IS GONE! That was the foundation of all the previous Star Wars movies. These movies are not supposed to be more than a high-fi soap opera and Lucas has cheated his audience of what made it comfortable."

So... my point is that you can't please the critics. They will bash and trash no matter what. :)

RB

Watcherwithin likes this.
  20. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    The dumbest criticism would have to be the racism stuff certain publications have been comming out with. I mean, what are these people on? Get real. Jango Fett and his clones is having some kind of go at latinos? Well besides that being a moronic concept to begin with, it's not helped at all by the fact that, woops, Temura Morrison isn't latino at all, he's a maori from New Zealand. Opps, sorry to burst your bubble guys. Maybe you should check your facts and some acctual journalism rather than writing sensationalist articles that have no basis in reality whatsoever.

Other strange criticisms include:
    1) No humour.
    Um, obviously, they were watching a different movie to me. AOTC has plenty of great bits that made me laugh, most of them from Ewan McGregor, who played Obi-Wan very well. I even enjoyed 3PO's puns in the arena, so there.
    2) The special effects were dodgy.
    Again, different movie to the one I saw. they were just phenomonal. I have never seen anything like the arena battle in my life. It was mindboggling.
    3) Cheesy romance.
    Well, I can see where they are coming from, but I think that people have been far too hard on it. It was a bit cheesy in places, but it had some great moments, too.
    4) Bad acting/dialogue.
    If these people had bothered to stick around beyond the first hour or so (which did have some fairly bad lines), they would have found that <gasp> it got much better!
    5) Boring.
    Oh please. I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.
    6) The bad guy complaint.
    Get real. Christopher Lee was awesome, as he always is. I think his was one of the stand-out performences of the movie, essecially considering he is 80 and apprently did all of the stunts and fights himself. He was great.
    7) Arena battle was already done in gladiator/chase was already done in 5ht Element etc...
    Well, there was nothing even close to the scale of the arena battle in Gladitor, and it was hardly original to that movie anyway. And the chase in the 5th Element doesn't have a patch on the AOTC one, as far as I am concerned.

I agree, people are bashing the PT because it is not the OT. Get over it people. Just watch and enjoy the movies!

Also, just on the comments about digital screening, I saw it on film, as there are no digital cinemas in Australia, and it looked awesome! If it looks as much better on digital as people are saying it is, then WOW!

21. jedi-girl

jedi-girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    among other things, how terrible the acting is and how terrible the dialogue is.
    The acting is fine and the dialogue is pure SW! whatever! I think the same ppl who complain would find *something* to complain about, regardless.

there was harsh criticism of all of the SW when they first came out ...give AoTC twenty years, I would put money on it that this movie will stand the test of time ;)

22. actnoble

actnoble Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    this is for one truth. you seem to forget, or not realize what you are saying. Lucas has said on a number of ocassions that every thing in the expanded universe ( that includes novels, comics, and even genological time lines)are all subject to change. And they are not "official" until he puts them in the movie's. he allows people to create extra imformation in other forums because of the strong love and want that the fans like you and i crave for. but other than that its not scripture as you think it is.

23. JediDugan

JediDugan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2001
    I think we can actually extract something positive from all of these so called "criticisms." The fact that they are all so incredibly lame should only serve to point out how great of a movie AOTC is.

Besides, and I've said this before, only a "Star Wars" movie would cause this much of a stir among the critics (be they "professional" or armchair). That fact alone makes the criticisms almost flattering.

How ever good "Spiderman" is (I don't know, and I don't care to see it) I can guarantee it hasn't, nor will it, garner this type of backlash. Nor will any film released this summer.

24. xchrisvx

xchrisvx Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1999
    One local critic complained (in a very positive review overall) that we would apparently have to wait until Episode 3 to finally learn who Anakin's father is. I wonder if she even saw the first one.

Another complaint is "Count Dooku is a stupid name" and this of course is in a movie with many other real to life names such as: Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, and Yoda.

And apparently one critic complained "The problem with the dialouge is that it never did anything but advance the plot." I can accept a comment like this from some random fan who may not know a lot about making movies but from a critic that is sort of disturbing. The first sign of bad writing is when the dialouge doesn't advance the plot and just sort of lingers around not doing anything. Lucas should be commended on that even though he admitts as to not being the best writer at least he can accomplish that much with his script. And while some other critques of the screenplay may be valid that particular one is just inane.

25. OBITWOKENOBI

OBITWOKENOBI Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2001
    My favorite is the bad acting...has to be. The real problem here is hollywood hates Lucas becuase he beat them at there game and waves it like a flag in there face all day long after the sucess of A NEW HOPE, And the media will tear down the most famous people they can to get raitings or sell papers (look what happened to Michael Jackson and many other Famous people) If you are number one you will be attacked by the media. As for bad acting I can pick apart all kinds of Hollywoods beloved movies of the last 5 years = Matrix I like the film but Kuena Reeves ( not sure how to spell his goofy name) is a horrible actor he should have been typecast for those stupid Bill and Ted movies. And I even could pick apart Gladiator a film I also like alot. Here Mr. Movie critic here is some bad dialoge for you from Gladiator " The Frost Makes the blade Stick" that would not happen what kind of frost Super Glue Frost???? But there Hollywood there is you're best picture. And do not get me started on Lord of the Rings....I FEEL ASLEEP in that BORING A$$ film....There Mr. Movie critic that is a boring movie , another Hollywood love child!!!! Truth is if Lucas made Gladiator,Lord of the BO-RING,Spiderman or Matrix they would have been Blackballed from day one!!!!! And for Matrix to win special effects Oscar over TPM ---WHAT THE *&*( WOW! you made 2 guys jump thru the air slow and dodge stupid bullets in slow time WOW!!! it will always be LUCAS vrs. HOLLYWOOD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.