main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the most stupid complaint you have heard about AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by rpeugh, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    It really annoys me when people accuse the SW movies of being racists. They say that there was not enough African-American people and no Asian people in the films.
    Firstly, Lando is black. Then you have Panaka, and the queens new bodyguard, mace windu is black [SM Jackson rules] Ahmed Best, James Earl Jones.... i dont think i need to go on.

Stupid non SW fan critics!!! Stop bashing the best movies ever!

2. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    here are some comments from my friends

==>That actor playing Vader is like a big baby. He's not threatening
    OK, perhaps Arnie was much better

==>OK, AOTC was average, ut not like the original

But my favourite is this:
    (whiny voice) The graphics were not good.
    (Me)The what?
    (whiny voice) The gra... SFX
    (Me) Yes, they were 2D, not 3D
    (Whiny voice) Yes, at times the quality dropped
    (Me) Yeah, i told George to use a GForce 3, but he didn't listen

3. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    DocHorror,
    Good points, but the bad guys in the PT are not suppose to be revealed yet. That is why your not seeing them throughout the movie. I am sure you will see more in the next one.

My complaint choice is dialouge. This falls perfectly with the OT dialouge. IT is SW dialouge after all.

And why is Owen Lars older? It is his step brother. Not blood brother. Someone please slap that critic up the back of the head?

4. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    I'm getting really tired of the "old fogey" attitude (from 25-year-olds, no less!):

1. The originals had much better acting (REALLY?!?! WHERE!?!?)

2. CGI sucks. Stop motion and puppets rule.

3. The plot of the originals was better told, more engrossing, and much more balanced.

In other words, a lot of the complaints seem to be from people holding the OT under a much better light than they deserve. C'mon people -- the OT was great, but it wasn't Lawrence of Arabia!

5. FOX1973

FOX1973 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2001
    Most stupid complaint?
    Anyone saying they hated AOTC, just like they hated TPM.
    Why are they here?

6. FOX1973

FOX1973 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2001
    And the racism thing? Good grief.
    Does anyone moan there's no minorities in American Pie? Or Gosford Park? Or Jaws?

Then there's the 'Jar Jar speaks like a Jamaican' crap.
    Ever heard a Jamaican speak? Clearly not, cos they sure as hell don't speak like that.

7. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    Okay, I think it will be a great idea to get together a list of complaints about this movie, then we will come up with answers to those complaints, and then we can post it up on a website (or let TFN put it up.

I will start a list later today and put it up, for now just list the complaints. We'll come up with the answers to the complaints later.

If anyone else is interested in this, send me a PM.

These are actual complaints of IMDB

"How can it be interesting, you already know what's going to happen"
    Oh really? Would you care to enlighten me as to everything that is going to take place in Episode III?

"The love story was corny"
    I'm sorry, but if you want to go and see a love story then Star Wars is probably not what you are looking for.

"The first part of the film moves along at such a slow pace that it had me constantly looking at my watch.
    If the speeder chase was too boring for you, then you had better check your pulse. And have you considered that the only reason you found the start to be slow is because the ending was so great?

8. jedimasterwolf

jedimasterwolf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    The most stupid complaint I've heard is my friends saying that Spiderman is better because it's more true to the comic book character. (Keep in mind these guys have no clue about Star Wars) How would they know what is better as far as story line.
    :confused:

9. KRISTEN

KRISTEN Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2001
    My friend and I were talking and she said that her roommate saw Episode II and said it didn't need the love story!!!! What the hec! Where are Luke and Leia going to come from? I guess she would have thought it better to have Anakin and Padme have a one night stand in Episode III!!!

10. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    There are a few

Bad Acting
    Fake CG
    Bad Dialogue.

Obviously they aren't fans.

11. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm tired of the racist crap too.

about African-Americans in SW how about the fact that an African American is the head of the Jedi Order, one of its greatest members for crying out loud, the group responsible for protecting peace and justice in an entire galaxy....its funny how these people forget that little bit of information

12. SCOTSSITHLORD

SCOTSSITHLORD Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    There are a whole host of stupid complaints, petty gripes and pedantic comments about this movie.
    I can't remember who it was, but some critic slagged off the movie's dialogue saying it was full of boring political references to "seceding separatists". Now it's clear having watched the movie that many people slagging off the expositionary dialogue haven't even seen the movie. Where is all this heavy dialogue? All the scenes with Palpatine, etc, are very well done and completely essential to the story.
    Someone on this forum even had the nerve to say that the playdough monster in ROTJ was more realistic than the monsters in the arena scene, GET REAL, if these critics hate the special effects so much why don't they set up their own community in praise of Battlestar Galactica or Disney's Black Hole.
    Again what is with the complaints about the sabre duels at the end. Are people really saying Alec Guinness was more energetic or convincing than Christopher Lee?
    As for the acting and dialogue, the acting is on the whole better than in any other SW movie and cheesy dialogue is par for the course for SW films.
    Most of the grumblers are technophobes who conveniently forget how reliant the OT was on FX and nostalgia buffs, who sit glued to all those shows which say do you remember spangles and captain caveman, and then moan about how much better sweets and cartoons were when they were 11.
    Truly wonderful is the mind of a child, and truly selective is the memory of a basher.

13. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Sorry Double Sting but those are combative responses. What I originally suggested would consist of "intelligent" responses to questions and not some immature reverse bashing of the question. ;)

RB

14. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Probably...

"The love story is too cliched."

Please.

15. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Let's compare

ESB: Leia: Captain being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited.
    Han: Sorry, we havn't got time for anything else (smirk)

AOTC: Padme: I honestly, truly, deeply, [infinetly, really, really] love you (gasp, faint)

What a joke. Sorry die hards, I loved the movie like any good fanboy, but the dialog at times was crap.

16. jjay

jjay Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 1999

Lucas had no idea about love.

he's so good with visuals and concept that the other things in the movie medium is lost on him.

Probably tried to cover it all up with John Williams' music.

17. obi-wan-girl

obi-wan-girl Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Personally, I dont pay much attention to the critics, because I know GL is laughing himself all the way to the bank. :)

18. jjay

jjay Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 1999

I don't think George will give the world a crap movie just to make a trillion dollars. He's got everything in the universe.

I believe he just can't write/direct love scenes.

Pretty much all the interaction between actors/actresses are bland save for the cgi action scenes which were beyond amazing.

oh well, gl ain't no shakespeare.

19. superdestroyer

superdestroyer Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    But we can't act. His face never moves and his voice is narrow and high pitched. He seemed to have been injected with Botox.

Hayden does not seem to understand that you act with your entire body. He just does not have the acting chops to be on the same screen with Lee of McGregor.

20. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    The DUMBEST complaint has to be:

"The critics dislike it because they hate Star Wars! It's a conspiracy! My opinion is more valid than theirs! The dialogue is just as bad as the OT!"

21. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    One newspaper said that Christopher Lee's 'too old to act', LOL! C'mon, it's Christopher Lee, he's never gonna be too old to act! Who did he want to play Dooku if he ain't happy with Chris?

Most of these have been said already, but;

'there wasn't enough action'

'the love scenes were unconvincing, because we know that Anakin is Darth Vader and Vader is evil, so he's lying because he can't ever truly love anyone or be happy' (lol... I think someone was getting mixed up with Angel there...)

R2D2's not supposed to fly!!

Obi Wan should've died in the asteroid chase

22. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    The line that we've heard over a hundred variations on:

"When will Jar Jar die?"

I swear some people have made it their personal mission in life to cheer when they see him die (quite a thing to tell St Peter at the gates to Heaven when he asks you what your top 3 accomplishments in life were). I hope that they will not get that oppurtunity. I'm not a 100% Jar Jar fan, but I am tolerant, and his scaled down role was pretty good in AOTC.

23. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    If the love story was so incredibly bad, then why was half the audience in my theater in tears? All I heard was sniffles and stuff thoughout the love pledge scene, and it wasnt from the "bad dialogue."

Guys...the love story was subtle and well written. Yeah, okay:

"I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me."

Okay THAT was bad. But it lasted a whole what, 3 seconds of screentime?

For all of those that thought the love story sucked; can you refer back to the part in your life, IF you are married or have been in a relationship for a while- think back to when you were trying to win over the person you loved. What did you say to her/him?

Did you buy them roses? Chocolates?

If so, you just cliched love stories.

Did you write them a love letter?

If so, you just cliched the whole aspect of love once again.

People- ALL LOVE STORIES ARE CLICHED.

They are; and that cannot be denied.

Anakin and Padme were two inexperienced lovers; they don't know what to say just to make the movie they are in win an Oscar.

Do you think that, for one second, Lucas thought:

"Well, since the Oscars exist, I'm going to try and write out a compelling, Romeo and Juliet style love story."

No. He thought; these two people love each other; and they've NEVER been in a relationship. When Anakin kissed Padme for the first time; imagine. She pulled away. It was later revealed that Padme didn't think that getting together would be a bad idea, because it would ruin thier lives. After that kiss. That sweet, innocent kiss. I know that if I kissed a girl, I'd want to be with her, especially if that kiss hit me emotionally, which I'm sure it did Anakin...AND Padme.

Can you BLAME Anakin for launching all that cheesy dialogue at her? No. He was scarred by her kiss, because he thought it would never happen again. All he thinks about is Padme and that kiss. That one, short kiss.

People; it is impossible to write a love story that is not cliched. So don't even blame Lucas for writing a cliched love/cheese story- it couldn't be helped.

If Anakin and Padme were in thier 40's and had experience in the field, okay, maybe there could have been better words launched at each other. But they are young, and not so experienced.

If you still think the love story sucked, well, that's your opinion, and it will never change.

But please; at least, while you sit there in your computer chair, being a harsh, unforgiving critic, that not even the brilliant minds of Francis Ford Coppola, William Shakespeare, Gallileo, Nostradamus, or even Jesus Christ, could have written the love story better.

It don't work that way folks.

24. Bail-AnBillies

Bail-AnBillies Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2002
    Most of the stuff I hear ignorant critics say can be classified as the stupidest complaint I have ever heard about AOTC!

25. Kennyr32

Kennyr32 Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    My favorite is from Ebert saying "it doesnt look like space." I mean come on what does he think space looks like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.