main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the most stupid complaint you have heard about AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by rpeugh, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Pooja,

I was impressed by your logical defense of the chiche, N'synch like dialog. You lost me, and I'm sure others when you said that Nobody, even invoking the name of Jesus, could write it better. To that I poodu.

None the less your argument was compelling, cause I have looked over old love letters and thought "what the hell was I thinking."

As for why the audience was sniffling, that is no defense of the writing, it is only enhancing the view that people in general can be lead around by pop culture like nerfs to the slaughter. That their emotions could be so stired by less than steller romantic diatribe is less than exciting to people like myself who admire strong drama and powerful dialog.

I know I could have wrote it better and more believable, so I know many, many others could have. The simple reason being that I would take it around to my friends and when they began laughing at my script, as has happened in the past, then I would seek to revise it. George has no friends, and certainly seeks no advice, and in my humble opinion, this is why his movies are beginning to falter.

2. jedimasterwolf

jedimasterwolf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Rikalonius and Pooja:

I think we are getting away from the point. I thought the Topic of the Discussion was what is the most stupid complaint you have heard, meaning second or third person opinion of AOTC. I am sure there are other threads that discuss the intricacies of the love story or the script-writing abilities of GL. :D

3. BigWookie

BigWookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2001
    I have to agree with just about everyone of you on this thread! There are so many lame, stupid, pedantic complaints about this movie it is unreal!

Does anyone else think that this movie is being judged by some radically more stringent standards as compared to other movies (i.e. the OT, Spiderman, etc.)?

**BigWookie stomping away***

4. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    "You lost me, and I'm sure others when you said that Nobody, even invoking the name of Jesus, could write it better. To that I poodu."

It was a figure of speech; do not get offended, please. I just think that it couldn't have been written much better. Get your average 20-24 year old couples together, and see what they say to each other. I bet its not much better than what was said in Attack of the Clones.

We are not off topic either. We are talking about stupid complaints, and saying the love story sucked is quite the stupid complaint.

5. Qui-Gon Sehi

Qui-Gon Sehi Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 1999
    The most stupid complaint I've heard:
    "Where has the magic gone?" I'm quite astonished every time I watch the new parts. I know this is only a personal opinion but I think TPM was not as bad as the critics say. It was fun for me as well, and most importantly it makes me feel kind of relaxed every time I watch it, I completely forget about my stupid private problems and every madness going around the world. But this can be said about the OT as well.
    "It's not like the original trilogy"- I don't really know why people want the new movies to be exactly the same as EP. IV-V-VI. I mean it's another story, different characters etc.
    "The love scenes are too long and corny" - They are not. The twins will not just drop from the sky or something.

6. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Pooja:

First of all, where does it say that Padme is inexperienced at relationships in the movie? It hints that she has had a first love or a relationship before - how can you say that she hasn't had others given the information? Saying that Padme is inexperienced is just an excuse tacked on from your own preconceptions.

And yes, I agree with an above poster, I and 50% of people who have attempted screenwriting could have wrote a better love story. And I or about 50% of the editors available could have cut the movie better.

I think it's pretty much obvious that Lucas is surrounded by a bunch of "yes men" who are too happy to have their jobs to question what he does. I'm working on a script now that I'm trying to sell, and you know what - I hand it to other people who will give me an honest criticism to give me another opinion on lines of dialogue.

That reminds me of another annoying complaint about the complaints - "I don't see you doing better!"

Give me the money, and I will.

7. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    What I hate most, are negative reviews written soley to sell whatever it is their selling. The people writing the reviews know that controversey sells, so they lambast AOTC without giving it a fair shot. AOTC does indeed have some faults, but it is still an awesome movie. This female who works for the local paper reviewing movies made me the most angry. She flamed the movie, but not even for it's obvious flaws.

Her first criticism was that the plot was confusing and incoherent. She said that she didn't understand who Dooku was so she stopped caring halfway through the movie. HELLO??? Did any of you find the plot too complex?? I took my 65-year old mother and she understood it perfectly. Sheesh.

Secondly, and this is ridiculous, is that she said Lucas stole from other movies to make this one. She said that he blatantly stole from Gladiator (arena scene) and Apocolypse Now because the clone transports reminded her too much of helicopter gunships lifting off the ground. Then she went on to make other references to other movies. HELLO?? WTF?? Because Ridley Scott made a movie about gladiators, now it's off limits to everybody else?? Maybe GL should just eliminate the english language from Star Wars, because, after all, other movies have been spoken in english, and he may be accused copying from them. Maybe none of the characters should have eyes either, because characters in other movies have eyes, and well, you know. How idiotic.

THEN, she went on to state that GL even copied from his OWN movies! At this point I just felt sorry for her being so dense. We all know about the parallels in the SW universe, not just between PT-to-OT, but even between OT-to-OT and PT-to-PT. Ridiculous. I'm appauled that this woman gets paid to review movies.

8. vader19

vader19 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    Most of you have already stated all the complaints I know. So I really haven't got nothing new to say.

I just hate when people bash AoTc, not even realizing what the hell is going on. I mean they bash it before they even try to understand it.

My sister had never seen a star wars movie before. I got her to watch TPM, then went to the theater and watched AOTC, then the OT. When she was talking about the movies, she understood everything. She hadn't even seen episode 3, and still could tell you what would happen in it. This proves that there is a story...and that the prequels fit nicely. Some morons JUST DON'T GET IT AND BASH IT DUE TO THERE MISUNDERSTANDING. Thats my biggest complaint! It ticks me off. Try to at least put 2 and 2 together before you put the star wars saga down and bash the movies.

(my sisters favorite movie is ATOC by the way) it makes me happy. :)

9. Paul-C

Paul-C Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    I think most have been mentioned.

- Owen being Anakin's brother! Do people not listen to the lines.
    - Jedi are being portrayed as dumb.
    - Christopher Lee is too old.
    - The whole middle section of the film is dull. Okay! We have Obi investigating and a fight with Jango, we have Anakin/Padme getting character development and Anakin slaughtering Tuskens. I don't call all that dull.

10. JoelDubin

JoelDubin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2001
    "First of all, where does it say that Padme is inexperienced at relationships in the movie?"

Padme: "I was 12, his name was Palo..."
    You call that relationship experience?
    Give me a break. I hope you don't use tthe crush you had on the boy/girl in 6th grade whaen referencing your relationships. But I forget--a lot of people here are under the age of 14.

AOTC was a LOT of fun. I saw it twice and will see it again this weekend. I will buy the DVD. I am obviously still checking out the websites since I'm here.

BUT its nowhere near as good as the old trilogy in terms of story, characters and YES! dialogue. Dont use the "Toshi station" line as a defense. The bickering between Han and Leia was awesome. Always got good laughs in the theaters back in the 70s and 80s. And not the "laughing at you, not with you" kind. It helped the development of a BELEIVABLE love relationship over the course of 2 movies.

All the important characters in AOTC are BRAND new characters on paper. Yeah, theres bound to be character development after 10 years, but, come on! Padme in Ep2 and the Queen in Ep1 are completely separate people script-wise--no continuity at all. Even have a different voice! I would have believed the romance if Padme had been more stoic and Anakin had a way of believably cracking through the ice over the course of the movie. "I am haunted by the kiss we shouldnt have shared? My heart is beating? You are in my very soul? Huh? you lost me. And wheres the Jappor Snippet? What was the point of that scene in Ep 1?

George, please bring back Lawrence Kasdan for Ep 3!!!! PLEASE!

Notice that Lucas has not had a love relationship since his wife left him in 1983.

11. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    You mean to tell me that TV GUIDE bashed AOTC, because it was a prequel?? What hypocrites! They practically gushed over the Trek prequel, ENTERPRISE - which is a piece of crap.

12. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    "Padme: "I was 12, his name was Palo..."
    You call that relationship experience?"

Bingo...

Fellas, the love story could have had better dialogue, but not by much. The love story flowed well for me, and face it; it could NOT have been written hardly any better at all.

"That reminds me of another annoying complaint about the complaints - "I don't see you doing better! Give me the money, and I will."

Actually, its Lucas' story, his idea, his creation- so in translation, no, not even you, thy God at writing, could do better than Lucas.

13. abmccray

May 16, 2002
    Pooja said:

(Padme: "I was 12, his name was Palo..."
    You call that relationship experience?"

Bingo...)

It's bad enough to have an errant statement, but to AGREE with one? Parroting what you want to hear can set you up if you aren't careful, like this.

Once again, where does it say that Padme was inexperienced with relationships? The problem with her relationship with Anakin was that he was a Jedi and she was a Senator - it would cause a scandal. It was nowhere stated or implied that Padme was in any way inexperienced in the entire movie. You can't use the original script or novelization for reference because Lucas deemed not to include that.

Since the question that Anakin asked was NEVER given (cough, nice direction/editing/writing there, given the problem raised), the viewer has the choice of it being the obvious "Who was your FIRST love?", or who "Who was your LAST love?" either of which would be correct to assume given that Lucas doesn't deem to tell us what the question was. If he had told us that this was Padme's only relationship, there would be an argument there - but since the viewer is left to discern on their own, any common sense questions about the logic of writing an older, more experienced woman falling for an obsessive psychomurderer are very much valid.

Read what I say before you decide to agree with someone else.

14. racerx

racerx Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Certainly one of the dumbest complaints has to be from those who constantly compare the banter between a late-30's aged cynical smuggler and a haughty princess to that between two inexperienced, relatively isolated youngsters.

And yes, I agree with an above poster, I and 50% of people who have attempted screenwriting could have wrote a better love story...working on a script now that I'm trying to sell..."

abmccray, I hope you have a good proofreader for the superior script you have written.

15. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Look; your argument is just nonsense.

Anakin and Padme are talking about past loves.

I think she would have brought up a more RECENT relationship BEFORE talking about a relationship she had when she was 12 years old.

Padme is obviously inexperienced. Saying otherwise just doesn't make sense.

16. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    The charges of racism:

The Detroit newspaper saying that Jango Fett, who is played by a Maori actor, "looks Mexican" and is therefore a racist caricature.

Stephanie Zacharek of Salon.com referencing Jar Jar and Watto as proof that Lucas "never met a stereotype he didn't like," and then sarcastically saying that Watto's "hooked nose" isn't a stereotype, oh no, because "everyone knows Jews don't fly." Sounds to me like you're the one with "stereotyping" problems, hon.

The complaining about "too much CGI" and claims that "I can tell the difference between CGI and a set/model," when it is clear that they cannot.

Zacharek again, claiming that SW is becoming irrelevant because of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, LOTR, and Harry Potter. Huh? Clarify, dearie.

17. abmccray

May 16, 2002
    ((abmccray, I hope you have a good proofreader for the superior script you have written.))

Using grammar as a retort for an argument on a message board? How pathetic. If you spend time proofreading each and every one of your messages on a message board for minute grammar errors, you're putting too much import on this crap.

And for the next post:

No, it is not obvious that they would be talking about recent loves, when they could just as easily be talking about first loves. There is no good reason you could give me as to why Anakin would not have asked "who was your first love?" That's exactly what I'm saying.

18. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    Sorry if its already been stated as I didnt have time to read the entire thread. But one thing I get so SICK of hearing is that 'all the characters act as if they are a cardboard cutout.......lines are spoken like wooden statues.'

Why do these people think they know how a jedi is supposed to act?? Isnt the PT considered to be the 'elegant times' that OB1 speaks of in ANH?? Since pretty much ALL the main characters are politicians and/or Republic officials, shouldnt we EXPECT them to act this way? I personally have NEVER seen a politician that had an OUNCE of personality.

19. LightBird51

LightBird51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    I've read a lot of pick-pick here and pick-pick there, but I think the most rediculous is the racism complaint. Can't people just relax and enjoy a movie?

20. JoelDubin

JoelDubin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2001
    "Certainly one of the dumbest complaints has to be from those who constantly compare the banter between a late-30's aged... "

But that made their relationship so much more interesing!

Padme was the ruler of an entire society--at age 14, mind you. Her level of intelellect, maturity, and wisdom, based on the character as Lucas wrote it, should not have been attracted to a boy the likes of Anakin without ample reason. Padmes not supposed to be some young highschool kid who has the hots for the cute quarterback. In my opinion, other than looks and a bit of charm, Anakin does not provide enough for Padme to fall in love with him. At least not in a dramatic depiction.

I feel that this relationship is the most important one in the SW saga. The audience needed to fall in love with Anakin along with Padme for the transformation in Ep 3 to work at its fullest.

One of the most heart wrenching scenes in the series so far is Han descending into the carbon freezing chamber. The tragedy of realizing that you truly love someone as they are about to die--that was done brilliantly. Lucas tried to mirror that scene with Padmes admission in the arena, but it did not hold the dramatic weight of the scene in Empire. Seemed like she was just deciding--"might as well love him since Im gonna die anyway"

OK--Im sorry--I'll stop now. Everything else about AOTC was great. I just feel like Im settling for less with the love story, after such brilliance in story and drama in the old trilogy.

21. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The most stupid complaint was from someone who didn't like it as much as TPM. And remember, this is the Sw film with the biggest, baddest battle ever for its finale...

"There wasn't enough action"

22. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    I'm may have critical things to say about SW in general. It's my right as a action figure; dvd; vhs; lego; movie ticket; EU novel; video game buying star wars fan boy. However, charges of deliberate racism against GL are from a galaxy far far away. GL is anything but. In fact, it is his sensativities that have gotten my goat recently.

I have read many a critic review of AOTC, and most I would throw in the dumpster. But a few can't be ignored. Roger Ebert, whom I normally don't care for, wrote a pretty compelling piece for disliking portions of the movie. And an article from the National Post about the Han Solo factor was also featured on theforce.net and his here for your review:

Han Solo Factor

23. Obi_Wan-Kenobi

Obi_Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    "It looked to fake."

24. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Most stupid complaint you have heard about AOTC ?

It's got to be abmccray and his ilk claiming to be better screen writers and editors when we've never seen their work.

And yes, I agree with an above poster, I and 50% of people who have attempted screenwriting could have wrote a better love story. And I or about 50% of the editors available could have cut the movie better.

HAHAHAHAHAHA ! Yeah, sure ... Please step in the fan fiction board and demonstrate your talents instead of telling us how "great" you are.

That reminds me of another annoying complaint about the complaints - "I don't see you doing better!"

I think you must get that a lot, here and in real life.

Give me the money, and I will.

I once asked a member of the Disney 3D animation soft. dev. department (before Pixar), what I had to do to get a job with them. He told me, "If you are good, we'll find you".

If you can come up with a better vision and technical abilities than Lucas, somebody would have "already found you" and you wouldn't be posting here on the message board, but busy making some really great movies.

As it is, these are just rantings by wannabes. Which you are free to make, and I'm free to point out that they are delusional and laughable.

25. racerx

racerx Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    JoelDubin, I agree with you in prefering the Han/Leia relationship. My point, though, was simply that they are different stories. People seem to expect the same thing again.

abmccray, it was a little joke. Lighten up. You'll feel better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.