main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the most stupid complaint you have heard about AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by rpeugh, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoelDubin

JoelDubin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2001
    "JoelDubin, I agree with you in prefering the Han/Leia relationship. My point, though, was simply that they are different stories. People seem to expect the same thing again. "

I didnt expect the same thing in terms of storyline and characters. I expected something even BETTER and even more heart felt then what came before in terms of dramatic impact.

Maybe if Padme and Anakin had been friends during the ten years since Menace, (rather than meeting for the 1st time since then) at least Lucas could have used thier history and bond as friends as a dramatic spring board to the 2 falling in love. There would be less need to develop the relationship so quickly. As it stands, it seems like AOTC could have used at least 2 more key scenes in the film prior to the Arena scene to better develop the relationship.

2. racerx

racerx Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    We're getting pretty far OT, but I see the love story at least as believable as that of Titanic. Yes, it was a quick courtship, but the onset of war played up the "two people brought together by circumstance" aspect of the marriage.

3. jedimasterwolf

jedimasterwolf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Hey People:

Why don't we just break the MOST STUPID COMPLAINT Thread and Call it "Analysis of Love Relationships in OT and PT Thread" because it's obvious it is going that way. :D

4. DocHorror

DocHorror Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    I once asked a member of the Disney 3D animation soft. dev. department (before Pixar), what I had to do to get a job with them. He told me, "If you are good, we'll find you".

If you can come up with a better vision and technical abilities than Lucas, somebody would have "already found you" and you wouldn't be posting here on the message board, but busy making some really great movies.

They don't write the script or story board it, they do the animation. Are you saying that GL has the ability to create CGI?

5. willy4pres

willy4pres Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2002
    Im starting to think that allot of the critical backlash comes from that fact that so many of us basically ignore there views of a movie and allow ourselves to make our own decisiones.

If you have time, check out some of these critics names and then look around for other reviews they have made on other movies. It's pretty funny. Someone like Kenneth Turan, his review is arguably the most scathing so far, but this is the same guy that put up a big stink back in the day concerning Titanic, he swares up and down that it's the worst movie ever made. Now im not a fan of Titanic, but I admit that it was a well made movie, certainly not any where near what this guy said.

My question is this, why don't these major newspapers hire a few more movie critics to check out type's of movies that they might find appealing. It's silly for the LA Times to only have one movie reviewer, especially when that movie reviewer usually hates any type of action flic with a large budget.

6. Myrchlamydia

Myrchlamydia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    Worst complaint heard: "I can't understand why a good person, Senator Amidala, would still fall in love with a kid who admitted he'd just mercilessly slaughtered an entire village, women and children included."

Oh wait, that's a valid complaint.

7. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
    The stupidity continues . . . . . .

8. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    DocHorror;

They don't write the script or story board it, they do the animation. Are you saying that GL has the ability to create CGI?

LOL. You totally missed the whole point. The point is that it's easy to pat yourself in the back and try to come off as an "expert" on a message board, it's quite different in the real world.

But that's another topic.

I'm personally sick of the "Droid Factory" is only a video game complaint. Specially when every major accion scene in Star Wars makes for a great game.

9. Beannaeb

Beannaeb Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2002
    "The DUMBEST complaint has to be:

"The critics dislike it because they hate Star Wars! It's a conspiracy! My opinion is more valid than theirs! The dialogue is just as bad as the OT!" "

Ah, probably my most despied cop out - the opinion shield. When all else fails, rely on the infallibility of one's opinion to support a claim. Opinions are not sacred. If someone tells me their opinion and its different than my own, I'll argue with them. If I tell someone my opinion on something and they disagree, they should argue with me. Somehow I get the feeling people take arguments so personally.

But anyway I digress - a critic whose opinion is based on a demonstration of his failure to understand the movie or if he ignored parts of the movie because he was tired or bored or doesn't like Star Wars - well, there's no reason why his great, mighty opinion should be left atop his pedestal of criticism for no one to touch.

When I read the Washington Post's review of AOTC, and the critic (whatever his name was) made a point out of the plot being CONFUSING, it became vividly apparent to me that either he was not paying attention or he is simply too incompetant to understand the plot. I went with someone who had never seen ANY Star Wars movie and she understood it perfectly.

But I think the stupidest criticism has to be the one insulting Lucas for not understanding what a Queen is. "Welcome to a fantasy universe where anything is possible! Except Queens cannot be elected."

10. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>That reminds me of another annoying complaint about the complaints - "I don't see you doing better!"

Give me the money, and I will.<<<

Haha. "I'd make a great movie, but I just don't have the money!" is the ultimate hack's excuse. You don't need hundreds of millions of dollars to write a movie. If you think you are so great, then write something. Produce it, direct it. Make your dreams come true.

Hell, Lucas has been fighting his whole career to make filmmaking a more accessible art form...nowadays anybody can get a camera and some digital editing software and make their own movie.

Yet somehow, I don't think you'll do it. You strike me as one of those people who will be here ten years from now, still complaining about how much better you are than all the successful directors out there, and if you had a billion dollars you'd make the perfect movie.

11. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Ah yes, the "then show us what you can do" argument!

First of all, the film industry is based on luck as much as anything else. Do you have any idea how many talented creators have not gotten a chance out there? It's truly mind boggling at how some of the talented creators out there get ignored because the "right person" didn't see their work while the Michael Bays of the world get gazillion dollar budgets. Even online - the best creative works often get ignored for violence or T and A fests. That's just how the creative fields work, and anyone involved is used to it by now.

I've already proven my talents actually; it's just a matter of deciding whether I will devote them to graphic novels, film, animation, illustration, etc.

As far as fanfics go, there's no way in heck I'd waste my time playing with someone else's work unless I got paid for it. However, I can link some of my writings/my flash series/drawings if you'd like.

And regarding an earlier comment, yes, the racist complaints are quite idiotic.

12. jedimasterwolf

jedimasterwolf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Hey Beaneabeeb;

The name of that critic is Mr Stephen Hunter from the Washington Post.

I really don't know what movie he was watching.

13. rom8girl

rom8girl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2002
    The romance was to cheesy...Yes..some parts really were...but if you pay attention and listenly closey..in almost every romantic padme/anakin scene...Anakin says things that begin to show how his journey to the dark side emerges..
    For instance..the meadow scene..when Padme asks "who's going to make them agree?"..He gets this look..just his whole view of politics in general in that scene..His motives were pure in the beginning..but you can see where he has certian ways he would do things that are a part of the dark side of thinking..
    And in the fire place scene when he says "I will do anything. Just tell me what to do.." or something like that...He is giving over/losing control..
    Cheesy, these scenes? Yes on some level..
    but revealing about his character and it's development as well :)
    Just my opionion on stupid gripes about Attack of the clones

14. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    I think the romance scenes and lines work perfectly. I believe they are meant to be cheesy, seeing that either Padme nor Anakin are experienced in this area, everything they would say in this regard would sound hokey and cheesy.

Anakin does NOT know how to court or charm a woman in any way, everything he says sounds like he is trying to swoon her by words alone. Padme being a diplomat has not really had much time for love affairs and/or romatic interludes; therefore, would behave the same way.

I think the 'romance' or lack there of works fine in this film. It is NOT to be compared to Han and Leia as they are from a completely different time and different circumstance. Anakin and Padme both had the opportunity on Naboo to get to know each other and to actually WORK on a relationship. Han and Leia did NOT have time to work on a romantic relationship that much because they were in the middle of a galactic war.

15. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Going back to the Han Solo thing:

I hate it when critics put AotC down because it ISN'T Empire Strikes Back, or that Han Solo isn't the only character in the entire film. We've moved on from the OT; we want to know about Obi-Wan, Padme and Anakin. Sure, more stuff with Han and co is welcome, but not in the prequels! It's just stupid.

16. El_Kamino

El_Kamino Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I can't believe that people are saying that Hayden Christiansen did a bad acting job in this film. Sure, the love story was kinda lame, but he IS Anakin Skywalker, and he made this whole film for me.

17. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    I seriously doubt GL wants his movies to be known as "cheesy"! He's already proven he can make SW films that aren't, so why start now?!

If people think the romance was "cheesy" it's because it wasn't written well and there was no chemistry between the two lovers.

The romance worked in ESB because Han & Leia acted like they hated each other to disguise their true feelings. Eventually, that gives way to true love. Let's face it, there was a lot of chemistry between them.

In AOTC, Anakin and Padme get along (mostly) and he obviously wants her more than she wants him. That just didn't seem to be the right formula for a romance in this case.

:)

18. Slave-2

Slave-2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    I have to agree that the whole "Where are you Han Solo?..." thing is getting a bit old.
    Most of the people crying out that line are the people who grew up on the original trilogy and reject the new films. People have to accept that these are different film and that the story is focused on the jedi and the fall of the Republic, and are going to be different from the originals and have different types of characters.

Another thing is the complaining that's done about the overuse of CG. I think that it's a neccessary tool for George Lucas's vision and I guarantee you that had the technology been around during the shooting of the original trilogy, they would have been shot in exactly the same way.

19. HBMC_Kloon

HBMC_Kloon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    Although this is similar to the "Help me Han Solo, you're the PT's only hope" dumbass complaints, I think the single stupidest complaint is this:

It's not like the Original Trilogy!

Well... they're right. It's not like the Original Trilogy. It's nothing like the Original Trilogy. The mistake these brainless bashers make is that it's not meant to be anything like the Original Trilogy. It's the Prequel Trilogy. Rather than desperate Rebels struggling against an opressive Empire you've got Jedi and Nobility in a time of civil collapse. Differet name. Different feel.

Anyone who criticises the PT by saying it's not the OT really needs their head checked.

BYE

20. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    "Anakin whines too much."

This one almost got me 20 to life earlier this week. Only because it came from someone I consider intelligent.

Anakin "whines" in 2 scenes in the movie. Luke whines through 2 movies. :D

RB

21. DamastaLukeSkywalker

DamastaLukeSkywalker Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2001
    It's boring is the worst that I have heard as a complaint

22. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    While maybe not specifically a complaint about AotC, a reviewer in my local newspaper ended her review with "I think it's time to retire this franchise while it still has some dignity".

What the hell? So you want Lucas to just stop the story right now, with a huge gaping hole in the middle? Come on, even if you hate the prequels, you gotta let it play out.

Also, I hate those recent editorials where idiots say that Lucas has "lost touch with people" and he needs to let other people write and direct HIS films. Guess what--he's not trying to be "in touch with the people". He's not Hollywood, where he gets focus groups and interviews a cross-section of people so he can make the biggest money-making movie of all time. He's just trying to make a good movie that he would be proud of, and hopefully fans and the public will enjoy it too. It must be frustrating...after working so hard to get out of the hollywood system, everyone criticizes Lucas for not selling out to the mainstream crowds.

23. Darth_Big_Butt

Darth_Big_Butt Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2001
    How about the first part of the movie has no action only politics? WTF??? How asinine is this complaint? For crying out loud, the movie opens with an explosion!

24. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I don't like it when people complain about Anakin riding that cow-like animal in the meadow. I thought it looked just fine.

25. Blue_Milk

Blue_Milk Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2001
    HBMC_Kloon:

Yes, my thoughts *exactly*. The original trilogy was more "Robin Hood", swashbuckling adventure with the rebels. The prequel trilogy is more Arthurian Legend, with the fall of a grand dream, downfall of the knights, courtly love etc.

If the "Where's Han Solo?" critics realised this they'd be a lot happier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.