main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the Official New Jedi Order Position on Second Jobs and the Dark Side?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by beccatoria, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I'm trying to work out whether or not Jedi are allowed to hold down jobs other than Jedi-ing and what the NJO's current position on the dark side is.

Please forgive me if some of these questions are answered in the Dark Nest Trilogy. I read all of The Joiner King, the Unseen Queen, and the first half of The Swarm War, but I only skimmed the second half and listened to the audio book. (I'm not even sure why; I didn't think the trilogy was as bad as some seem to).

As I understand it, prior to DNT, Jedi were allowed to hold down other jobs as long as they behaved in a manner befitting a Jedi and made themselves available for missions. Jaina enlisted as a soldier, Dani Quee was allowed to join the Order but was primarily a scientist, Tenel Ka was a knight and a queen, and had Leia chosen to complete her training and pursue her career as a New Republic/GFFA diplomat I doubt anyone would have minded.

I guess I broadly compare it to being in the Reserves. You have to make yourself available if you're called up, but you're generally free to get on with your life in peacetime. Obviously the comparison's far from perfect as Jedi is much more a way of life, but broadly, my impression was, as long as you'd drop your spatula and go running to help out Master Skywalker at a moment's notice, you'd be perfectly free to be a Jedi Fry Cook.

So then Luke calls the convocation on Ossus, declares himself Grandmaster and asks anyone who can't be a Jedi first to not be one at all. So Tenel Ka and Dani quit. But Jaina doesn't seem to have a problem. Maybe because she's willing to be a Jedi first? Though who knows how the GFFA would view that considering the oaths she'd presumably have taken when she enlisted. She didn't seem to still be in the military during DNT; perhaps on an extended leave on absence on medical grounds due to her and Zekk's joining?

How does this fit in with Jaina's obvious continued career in the military as of LOTF? With Mara being offered a position as head of the GAG and Jacen taking it up?

Are Jedi allowed to have other jobs?

Also, in DNT the Jedi were experimenting with the idea that the Dark Side was internal and due to intentions not due to absolute judgement of a given action. Mara fried someone with lightning; they were hurting patients to gather more information.

I understand that this was largely an experiment that Luke was becoming increasingly wary of, but did he ever officially recant it? Am I just having an unforgivable lapse in memory? It doesn't seem to be standard operating procedure for Jedi in LOTF, certainly...

Any answers or opinions are appreciated!

2. Sabrajaguar

Sabrajaguar Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 22, 2001
    Jaina is not enlisted, she is Commisioned.

And their is no real policy, im pretty sure a Knight or naster can do whatever they want as long as they arnt killing people....unreasonably killing people.

3. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Thanks for clarifying Jaina's position in the military; I'm not really aware of the technicalities of such things.

I agree that there wasn't really an official policy, but Luke's declaration at Ossus seems to suggest he was creating one. Why was Jaina allowed to hold a position in the military and Jacen allowed to become the GAG commander, when Dani Quee and Tenel Ka were forced to leave?

4. Sabrajaguar

Dec 22, 2001
    Luke's Decleration was simply a ploy to keep the masters in line. Before there was the constant fighting on whether Jedi are resposible to the Government first or their concience/force first. It threatend to split the order and Luke just wanted them to stop fighting.

As for Jacen, that was a bit of Human Corruption on Luke's part. Luke wanted very much for Be to Embrace his heratige. That why after The Joiner King he asked Jacen to rejoin the fold by being bens Unofficial master. Thats why he looked the other way in Bloodlines when Jacen joined the GAG. Of cource Luke never believed in his own decleration, it was just suposse to be a ploy to have the Master Unite themselves, Unfortunatly of Luke it didnt work and he became grand master.

And if your curious

Ocean side (Navy/Coast gaurd)

Ensign, Lieutenant Jr. Grade, Lieutenant, Lt.Commander, Commander, Captain, Rear Admiral Lower half, Vice Admiral, Admiral. (There may have been some misspellings), the Navy has an extrea Fleet Admiral.

Land side: Army/Airforce (Im ocean side)

2nd Lieutenant, 1st Lt, Captain, Major, Lt Colonel, Colonel, Brigideir General, Lt General, General, (General of the Army or Airforce or whatver your Gerneral of).

Marine rank reflects the Land side,, but stop at plain old General

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    As everything with the NJO...nothing is set in stone.

Darkside is just you...darkside is entity itself...darkside is cancer on force...darkside is yang in ying-yang...darkside is a mesh of it all.

You can have a job, you can't have a job...you can have a job if it benefits the jedi...you can have a job as long as it doesn't hurt the jedi...you have multiple jobs while being a Jedi.

Jedi are based on Coruscant...no, Ossus...no, Coruscant...no, we'll have enclaves everywhere.

Don't hold to anything concerning the NJO...it will change.

6. Sabrajaguar

Dec 22, 2001
    ^ you should have ssn my "Is post-NJO moving too fast thread"

What Delrey should have done after Dark Nest, was follow bantams lead a creat several single books and dulogies and limited series, flesing out the vong wars. And Showing the New Jedi Order and GFFA stableizing.

In their rush to promote Zmog! its Full circle! excitement they made the overal universe suffer.

Jacen's personality/motivations, NJO policy, and even the Alliance as a conceptual government is about as stable as mold jello in an earthquake. And there are sooooooo Maaaaaaaannnyyyy plotholes in LotF its rediculious. They needed to slow things down and they did the opposite and the overal Starwars universe is suffering.

7. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    ^ I agree.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    So, one could be a Jedi and a chef(or whatever job they wish, with in reason), as long as they follow their Jedi mandate, whatever that it these days, and when needed, go on assignments or whatever mission they are assigned.

A Jedi trained private detective would be sweet..

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Is it the planning team/Del Rey who moved the Jedi Order back to Coruscant from Ossus, or was that something that Karen Traviss did in Bloodlines? She was the first to introduce the new, completely identical to the old Jedi Temple, and as such, it seems that the Order being back on Coruscant might stem from her fascination with the prequels.

As for the experimentation with the dark side, this was a plot thread in Dark Nest that I greatly enjoyed, and I'm upset to see it cast aside. However, it seems that this way of thinking is currently dovetailing with the Sith. After all, Lumiya is telling Jacen that Vergere was Sith. I'm hoping that we'll see more on this later in the series, but it's also very possible that we won't.

10. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    The new Jedi temple was on Coruscant already in DN. Traviss just made it to be a copy of the old temple inside. Also there has been nothing to suggest that in LotF the Order would not have also extensive presense on Ossus, like in DN. It is understandable that in these circumstances the leadership of the Order would spend most of their time on Coruscant.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, Tenel and Danni were never forced out. Luke said, "Put the Jedi first or get out."

Tenel said, "I have to put my job as ruler of Hapes first, Jedi behind that. I'm out."

Danni said, "I always wanted to be a scientist and was never really into this whole Jedi thing at all to begin with. I'll take this opportunity to go back to normalcy and get out of the obligations of Jedidom."

Whereas Jaina wasn't apparently active in the military at the time, and even when she was later, there seemed to be an understanding that she might be summoned away for Jedi business.

Also, in the NJO, for second jobs, we had ex-colonel Kenth Hamner (who, given his age, was probably a colonel while a Jedi), General Keyan Farlander (who actually commanded the Second Fleet of the Galactic Alliance navy, probably the highest-placed Jedi since pseudo-Jedi Leia as president (and if you don't count her, since Luke as poorly-defined Jedi and general [so really, in terms of strong Jedi identity and power, since the Clone Wars]). Of course, the author who wrote him in didn't realize he was a Jedi. But it's still canon.

I'm not sure about anyone else (besides the entire YJK squad being commissioned as pilots in the fleet), but there seems to be an NJO tradition of Jedi service in the military which isn't necessarily found in, say, the medical or scientific or even diplomatic pro

12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Before the prequels, I always imagined that there were sleepy towns in the middle of nowhere that, every time a major conflict erupted, would mysteriously lose a general store owner or a florist or a city councilman or a mail man. He'd go away "on business."

13. Sabrajaguar

Dec 22, 2001
    ^ that is a kind of "Are the jedi a religious order with a history or military tradition"

or are "the jedi an eliet group of soilders with a religious background"

They may sound like the sem thing but its very diffrent.

14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Come now, Havac, calling her Tenel is like calling Bel Iblis "Bel". :)

15. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    That sounds pretty awesome..

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah. That was kind of reinforced by the ideas of "crazy old wizards" and the fact that no one seemed to think Master Thon was a Jedi, at first. There'd just be kooky old men living in the village who'd one day whip out lightsabers and pwn.

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    That is just as good as my thoughts of the Jedi in the PT being a cool order of wise warriors/scholars/wiazards that roam the galaxy, instead of being an order of monastic tightasses that didn't adapt and grow with the rest of the galaxy.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think people don't give the PT Jedi enough credit.

Anyhow, I don't think they necessarily have to wander. I mean, Knights had houses. Some wandered, though. Some Jedi could advertise the fact that they're Jedi. Some could keep it to themselves. I guess I just wasn't a huge fan of the uniformity of the Jedi in the PT.

19. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I wasn't a fan of them having no possessions and no families( or them not knowing their families). I was happy when they were wiped out so the Jedi can get a fresh start.

To make this fit with the topic at hand. Some of the early members of the new order had regular jobs before becoming Jedi..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.