main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the "OFFICIAL" word on if "The Clone Wars" are part of the "Official" Canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LukeGonzowalker, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeGonzowalker

LukeGonzowalker Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2005
    Or will they occupy a seperate space on my Star Wars DVD shelf? If it goes to a vote I vote "HELL YES" because that stuff is definately Star Wars (and I heard Lucas had a hand in the plotting of the newer Chapters as a direct bridge into Episode III- and that counts!).

2. Jealously_Guarded

Jealously_Guarded Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2004
    The new season was directly becuase of lucas, who said "Make another season, and have this this and this happen."

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They are considered Expanded Universe. Lucas's input to the series primarily comes from the novel Labyrinth of Evil, which the cartoon used as a basis for it's chapters.

Basicly, LOE was created from notes and backstory Lucas was unable to include in the film itself. The author had additional input from Lucas since he was working in conjunction with the author of the ROTS novel to make sure they worked together.

The work on the novel was then passed onto GT by LFL and he went off an did his own thing.

So, on a technical level, they are supposed to be equal to the novels and comics, but I think generally most people seem to consider them to be slightly below the novels and comics since the cartoon is an exagerated depiction of events while the novels and comics are more realistic and thus closer in style and vision to the films.

4. Zar_Valen

Zar_Valen Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    I think you could all manner of anal retentive comments on this matter but I simply suggest that you make your own decision on how important the animated tales are to the larger Star Wars story. ;)

5. Lord_Fate

Lord_Fate Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2004
    Clone Wars Season 3 makes it canon. It's the opening crawl of Episode III animated.

6. Tyler_Boydston

Tyler_Boydston Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    Yeah, I'll have Episode I, Episode II, then Clone Wars, then Episode III, and finally, the original trilogy. I think that Clone Wars, when all said and done, should be part of the six films when on the shelf. That's how I'm gonna have it.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>It's the opening crawl of Episode III animated.<<

And LOE is the opening crawl of Episode 3 fully told ;)

8. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    "when all said and done, should be part of the six films when on the shelf. That's how I'm gonna have it"

Dear God know, those cartoons do not deserve a place on any shelf.

9. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    But don't you think LOE and CW3 contradict each other a little bit? The biggest action sequence of LOE is Mace and GG having it out on the train. That was completely different in CW...

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The scenes in the cartoon basicly occur inbetween and around events described in LOE- so Mace doesf ight GG on the train, and eventually later on encounters him a second time during the escape as shown in the cartoon.

The only potential contradictions are the two or so moments where LOE and CW are showing the exact same scene, only slightly different (ie: no Palpatine advisors, red guards or Stass Allie present with Shaak and co when they go to the Chancellor's office in the cartoon). And with those there are two possibilities:

1) Shoehorn events inbetween the lines (and this can be done I think)
    2) Consider the cartoon versions as adaptations of the LOE scenes, so (much like with the thrawn trilogy comic adaptations) the original source (in this case, LOE) would be the version that "actually" happened. (add to that the fact that LOE is meant to connect with the ROTS novelization and isn't an exageration like the cartoon, etc)

Still, I'm confident a solution will be worked out.

11. neojedi18

neojedi18 Jedi Knight

Feb 28, 2005
    I totally agree with you 2ndQuest! LoE was awesome - and certainly all this can be worked out somehow (Like Mace vs. Greivous happened when Grievous was pulled off by the train at the end of chapter 24. Although I'm not sure if that would fit exactly.) More people here need to read the book before they start comparing it tot he cartoon, heh.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We have the lit forum's finest timeline geeks working on it ;)

Continuity spackle is like duct tape- enough of it can fix anything ;)

13. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    I don't care if it's EU, it's canon to me. Would you rather nothing on your movie shelf about the Clone Wars except a few battles from AOTC and ROTS? Or have a fully animated micro-series on it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.