main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions What is the one thing that you are most glad is no longer canon?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by beedubaya, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    Disney can reintegrate whatever they want, but if they bring back the Vong, I'm done with the EU forever.

2. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    The Crystal Star by Vonda McIntyre. A trans-dimensional being from a parallel universe named Waru? Not in my Star Wars, thank you very much.

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Waru and the Crystal Star - read it and was like 'WTH was that??'

Sent from X Wing in Deep space.

4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    If they bring them back I'll throw my many criticisms of Disney out the window.

5. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    This thread has definitely reinforced my feelings for accepting the reboot. Makes Disney look like a godsend and the old EU seem neurotic. The new books aren't perfect but at least they haven't done anything that I would consider unStarWarsy.

Clone emperor, clone Luke, Waru all made me cringe back in the 90's when I read those books. The Vong seemed like something out of a Star Trek story.

6. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Star Trek? I don't think the extragalactic aliens with organic technology, who love torture and worship dark gods, would really fit into the idealistic utopia of Star Trek. The Vong do seem like something right out of Warhammer 40K though.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, extragalactic aliens with organic technology was seen through Species 8472.

JediBatman and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Voyager's Species 8472 were a bit like that - back in 1997, two years before Vector Prime - at least for the organic technology and "threat that causes former enemies to ally" bit. They didn't remain a major threat though.

EDIT: Ninjaed.

9. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    True, I didn't think of Species 8472. But to me it's the "dark gods and torture" stuff that pushes it into "Grimdark Warhammer 40K" territory.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Trek had "dark gods" of sorts too - the difference is, their powers were real - The Path-wraiths of DS9 fill the "evil gods" niche fairly well.

There's quite a few in TOS that might qualify as "sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from minor evil deity" - Gargan, the crystal in Day of the Dove, the being in ST V: Final Frontier, etc.

11. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    It's not really the fact of their presence/absence in Star Trek - it's the nature of their presentation.

Species 8472 wasn't presented as a viciously bloody and psychopathic. Indeed, they were presented as technologically superior to virtually all previously encountered species, including the Borg.
    And were they truly extra-galactic, or rather inter-dimensional, fluid space merely being another layer of space/time, more like the Devidians?

The Vong on the other hand were portrayed as masochists, with a distinct penchant for torture, bloody warfare and religious fanaticism. I'd say the Pah Wraiths lacked these Vong-like characteristics as well - in true Star Trek fashion, the villains were characterized as duplicitous, cunning and strategically deft, rather than as horror creatures.

Yeah, I'm pretty glad that the bad Bantam books are gone. There's a whole bunch of them, though - The Crystal Star stands proudly at the front.
    Anything that wasn't part of the decent plot progression and string continuity from ROTJ to Legacy era - I'm glad to see gone. Too messy, too bloated, too much.

SithOverlord101 and JediBatman like this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    "Too messy, too bloated, too much."

But enough about the Hutts. :p

13. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    It's probably better that the original cause of Dengar's injuries is no longer canon. Han shooting Greedo first is understandable, but his actions during the swoop race put him straight over the moral event horizon, in my opinion.

14. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    [​IMG]

...Wait - damn it, wrong thread. o_O:p

PCCViking likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Empire playing around with the brains of Dengar and Terpfen.

16. Frodo_harry

Frodo_harry Jedi Master

Jan 27, 2008
    Well, the resurrecting every character who the audience didn't want to die has carried over into the new Canon too, I mean Maul seems to be incapable of dying, I mean they cut the guy in half and he still survived. It's a similar situation with Ahsoka, though I really like her, I've heard rumors they want to bring her back and I was just disappointed, because she died an awesome death. Just let her be one with the Force for stars sake

17. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016

I know. I alluded to that in my last paragraph.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The name, "URoRRuR'R'R", thanks to, "A Certain Point of View".

19. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I was upset about the canon reset, but now I realize what a blessing it was. I am very glad that the Death Star II is no longer just IG-88's play thing. That was stupid.

This comic was the greatest thing to come out of the canon reset, I'm very glad to have snagged a copy of it

[​IMG]

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    The 4 worst to me no particular order

1) Children of the Jedi - Luke falling in love with a computer, and then that computer going in the body of one of his young apprentices so he can date it/her

2) Crystal Star - Waru and Luke just acting all kinds of odd for fun and kicks...

3) NJO - b/c Luke was too wishy washy and Vong were to grimdark

4) Dark Empire - never read but why would I want Luke to go to the dark side and team up with the Emperor??

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Read it. You might be pleasantly surprised; I was.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    I know I'm one of the few but the new superweapon of the week never bothered me while I read those series, maybe bc I was younger, or I read them over a span of years instead of right behind each other, or just bc I accepted that was what SW was just like a tv show about cops is always going to be about solving some crime, h/e I do like the stories that are different and not about superweapons also

23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Dark Empire is a really fun read. But it's not very good.

24. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    There are a couple good ideas in Dark Empire. (I like the E-wings. The Rebels using captured Star Destroyers. Ewoks manning laser turrets! The Imperials having a civil war. And for a Imperial Superweapon of the Week, World Devastators are a bit creative, mobile factories that scoop up bits of planet to turn into weapons. And hey, at least they had Leia doing SOME Jedi stuff). But there are 3 main sins that in my mind make it a terrible comic:

1. Resurrecting a character who should've stayed dead, and having Luke once again struggle with the Dark Side even though he already did that in ROTJ. Oh and of course, the Imperial Superweapon of the Week trope. If you count the World Devastators, the two Eclipse Star Destroyers, and the Galaxy Gun, there are 4 planet destroying superweapons in that series. People say TFA is a retread of the OT (and it is) but it's got nothing on Dark Empire.
    2. Shifting its date on the timeline from right after ROTJ to 10 years after. I understand why Zhan didn't want to include any references to this terrible story in The Thrawn Trilogy, which is why they ultimately shifted the date. But this ultimately harms the story even more. It makes Luke struggling with the Dark Side even less understandable, and the Imperials suddenly briefly dominating the galaxy again, (including retaking Coruscant basically off screen!) should have major consequences. It should shake the faith of the people of the galaxy in the New Republic. But it dosn't feel like it had nearly that impact. It feels like the story takes place just after ROTJ, and pretending other wise just makes it seem off.
    3. The art is terrible. Whole pages are just splashed in green or purple. Green backgrounds. Green ships. Green people. It's hard to tell who is a human and who is a humanoid alien, because a lot of the time people's faces are just green blue. I mentioned that I love the E-wings. Later artists made them white with bright red stripes like an X-wing. In Dark Empire they're just light green. Some people will probably defend this saying its supposed to be abstract, but IMO it looks just awful.

25. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I understand the first two points but I really haven't heard anyone hate on the art. It sounds like you just don't like the colors. Your opinion of course. I don't think anyone will try to argue against Cam Kennedy, though. The art wonderfully captures the scale of the scenes. It feels like you're actually there, about to be crushed by the Imperial machines.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.