main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What is the ONE thing you still don't like from the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was only "much less protected" because it was incomplete. Had it been finished - there would have been no holes into the superstructure through which ships or torpedoes could fly.

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    And there were two of them in the draft.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Palpatine had a coupon: "Buy one Death Star, get a second one for half price!"

NoeHat, Pensivia, Paparazzo and 4 others like this.
  4. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I'm sorry, but I don't have a high opinion of Luke's plan. I'll give him kudos for thinking on his feet and readjusting his plan whenever things went wrong. Otherwise, I found the whole plan rather shaky and disjointed.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    I've never liked the singing scene in Return of the Jedi in Jabba's palace with that weird screeching creature with the severely protruding lips!

6. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I remember reading (maybe it was the novel- can't remember) that Luke wanted to get them all out of the Palace,which would give them the greatest chance of success. So he had to show up and take out the Rancor,thus getting their execution transferred outside.

Leia was sent in to unfreeze Han. Knowing that would wake Jabba or somebody with that racket, Leia was the one that could get closest to Jabba if someone had to kill him.

The droids obviously needed to be there,since R2 had the saber & 3PO would be needed to translate.

Chewie was obviously there to safeguard the nearly blind Han.

Lando was the wildcard. Unfortunately, he ended up needing to be saved more than he could aid in the escape. But, I'm guessing he was Luke's ace in the hole should something go wrong. He seemed positioned to protect Leia and could maybe sneak her out at the very least.

So it seemed like a smart enough plan to me. Enough thought went into it. And it pretty much went off as Luke planned without a hitch.

Rabs, PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Shows how much I love these films, I could only really come up with a couple of things BUT you did say one so... Ewoks! Don't hate them - Just wish they were wookies. That being said I love Caravan of Courage - so go figure??

And if I may be so bold as to have a second choice Luke and Leia as brother and sister - Just...wasn't...needed...

8. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    Probably the weak acting in A New hope from Luke and Leia.

9. SparklingRoyalty

SparklingRoyalty Jedi Padawan star 1

May 1, 2015
    If the former is true then it still would have made Padme look bad in a way. Why would she play favorites and choose raising one child and having nothing to do with the other's upbringing? What would have made Leia more worthy of being with Mom over Luke. Because she's a girl like Mother? Honestly, there would have barely bven an excuse good enough for this in my book.

I don't think Bail married again and this gave Leia this step mother who became her new mother. More importantly I just don't believe that Lucas made that scene with Luke and Leia with mother Organa in mind. What would have been the point? Luke and Breha have no connection.

10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Luke instantly forgetting about the brutal murder of his aunt and uncle that raised him from birth like he was their own, and Leia instantly forgetting about Tarkin blowing up her ****ing home planet where she lived her entire life that contained all of her family and friends!!!.

darskpine10 likes this.
  11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm not dismissing opinions, but I can hand wave away the lack of grief (Leia, Luke) due to the nature of the movie - it is space opera, not a drama set in space. It is quite interesting to see how much our opinions and peeves can vary.

Sarge likes this.
  12. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Facing the Rancor was part of Luke's plan in his rescue of Han? Because he looked pretty surprised to me and barely survived.

But didn't Luke grieve over Obi-Wan's death? And wasn't Leia the one who offered support?

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    LZM65: Yes, Luke grieved over Obi-Wan, Biggs, and over Owen and Beru. But as you can see from some of the posts, there's many a poster who feel any grief was too understated and hardly counts. I was saying that if EVEN if one believes our characters brush off death, brush off torture, I don't feel it diminishes the movie. It may enrich the movies had we had a few extra lines of dialogue or something, a tear, whatever some may have wanted - heck, I'm a sucker for (not-over-the-top) emotional reactions myself - I just also understand that in this type of movie one does not wail in grief, moralize over the use of bred Clone troops, etc.

(as to the morality of using Clones, while that would be fascinating to see the debates of the ethics and morals of using them, that would be a whole 'nuther film - a drama, not a space opera)

14. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I don't think he was surprised as much as just shocked at actually facing down the beast.( 3PO goes so far as to literally warn him to watch where he's standing, yet he does nothing to prevent the trap from going off) I've got to admit, I have no idea what his plan was here. Perhaps the blaster he obtained was supposed to be used against the Rancor, though it doesn't seem to make it into the pit, forcing him to improvise.

15. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Boba Fett. They should've focused on Bossk as the top bounty hunter.

16. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015

Coming in a bit late, but I don't think Vader would've ever allowed Alderaan to be destroyed if they had made it Padme's home planet in the PT.

17. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Yes, that's true, but as I said I don't agree with that idea anyway. I think it would be too dark to have TPM be all about saving a planet that we know is going to get annihilated soon no matter what. Again, I think using Alderaan in Kamino's role would be best - it would explain why it's such a core part of the Republic/Empire and why Alderaan's betrayal and eventual punishment for it had such significance. As it is, Alderaan is just some random planet.

18. gokaiblue

gokaiblue Jedi Knight

Aug 8, 2015
    I think the only thing I don't like about the prequel trilogy is the fact that Anakin Skywalker died after being redeemed. When I first watched the films, I didn't really think much of it. It was sad, yes, but it was simply part of the film. However, since I kinda grew up with the Prequels and the cartoons (mainly the cartoons) that show Anakin as a hero, there was always a part of me that wanted to see that Anakin return. Upon learning of the original ending to Return of the Jedi, though, I'm even more saddened that my childhood fantasy could've been a reality.

Ah well. At least Anakin survives in some alternate Star Wars media.

lbr789 and minnishe like this.
  19. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Anakin died in the Original Trilogy.

But I just recently watched "A New Hope". Luke didn't take Obi-Wan's death very well. In fact, I think he allowed his anger to get the best of him after he saw Anakin kill his mentor. Leia tried to drag him away to the Falcon and only Obi-Wan's voice convinced him to move. Even once aboard the Falcon, Luke continued to grieve.

I got the feeling that Luke had managed to form a closer bond with Obi-Wan (and eventually Leia and Han) than he ever did with Owen and Beru. I think his relationship with the Lars would make a very interesting essay.

minnishe likes this.
  20. gokaiblue

gokaiblue Jedi Knight

Aug 8, 2015
    Meant to put OT, don't know why I put prequel trilogy.

21. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    The actor who plays DV. DV doesnt seem threatening in the OT hardly at all. I know the suits heavy and the character is suppose to have conflict but the actor barely tries moving the sword. And when he did in ESB he was just slashing all over the place leaving himself wide open and Luke hit his shoulder.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Han and Leia getting more screentime getting chased through space than the entire Rebel Alliance in The Empire Strikes Back.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I love the original but a version with a more fleshed out Rebellion scenes would be cool.
    Reports of other Rebel cells and activity against the empire, a more varied Echo Base, a mission to an Imperial shipyard or something with other Rebel Cells where they come across the 2nd DS plans.

24. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008

Definitely my least favourite Star Wars movie. I'd change so much of it if I could.

25. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    :eek: What? It is a classic and putting any of the prequels ahead of it is quite frankly sacrilige aound these parts :mad:

[face_plain]

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.